Bitdefender Antivirus Free - English GUI

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

This has probably been discussed so forgive me if I have missed it.

What is the purpose of having to register with an email address in order to use the product for more than 30 days? Will you have to re-register it at some point?

Can a single email address be used to register multiple machines?

Thanks. :cool:

2. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

Again, I like BitDefender very much. To my regret, the scanning on demand time of BitDefender Free AV was the "no-go", but overall I really liked it, because I had THE BITDEFENDER ANTIVIRUS for free.

I've decided to use BitDefender's advice and install BitDefender Windows 8 Security Antivirus on two Windows 8 computers.
    I love it but it still has some bugs to fix and on a regular basis has conflicts with Windows Action Center Security.
    On my Win 7 I installed BitDefender Antivirus Plus 2013. BDAP 2013 is a very very stable version, but without Firewall function.
    Also, when using Privazer with ALL those BD AVs, my computers used to crash with the following message:"Page fault in nonpaged area avckf.sys".
    At this moment, BD could not resolve that issue; therefore, I've just included Privazer.exe in the Excluded Processes list of BD AV and problems were gone. I did the same thing with CCleaner.exe. It used to run too slowly with BD AV.
    I've tried to use the BD sandbox with IE 10. As soon as I clicked that "dagger" to open the sandbox, my computer crashed with the same message:""Page fault in nonpaged area avckf.sys".
    Therefore, I would say yes, BD is Certified but...

3. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I can't answer the last two, but usually email addresses are used for updating customers on latest news/special offers from the vendor, and probably other marketing purposes too. It's probably easier to provide specific support too. Avast doesn't make you register again, BD probably won't either.

4. zmechys

I've tried a lot antivirus programs on many computers, clean or infected.
    Panda, Avast, or MSE could not make it.
    For many years my antivirus was AVIRA, with a lot of "on-demand" programs, but Panda or Avast could not help me.
    It's only my opinion.
    "Treat the patient (computer) not the disease".
    In my case, Panda or Avast did not produce good results. The same thing was about Norton or McCafee AVs.

5. Iulika0069

Iulika0069 AV Expert

#Mman79 is right: marketing/support purposes
    Once you registered with an email address, no need to re-enter it again

As for the registration with a single address on multiple machines, as far as I know, there are no limitations at this moment..

Still, you should use this wisely, since myBD is an [ever-growing] powerful tool, one can handle your Devices (Android for example..) if you give him your myBD user&passwd and, of course, you previously activated those options/features from your Device

6. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Avast! free also requires an email registration to use it for more than 30 days, and while I don't like that Avast! and BD require this, it is no big deal.

7. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Anyone else who has had this installed since the beginning having an issue with the next auto-full scan? It won't complete.

8. anon

anon Registered Member

I just mentioned the Avira's official statements.
    Nothing more, nothing less.

You had problems with W8 & Avira.
    I have right now 3 PC running with W8 & Avira ( 1 w/premium & 2 w/free) without problems.
    So what?

-----------------------------
    =>

9. THESAWISFAMILY2005

THESAWISFAMILY2005 Registered Member

avira is only up to windows 7,not 8.

10. anon

anon Registered Member

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  11. spywar

spywar Registered Member

I agree :thumb: , light, effective, and well team working on it.

12. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I switched from Avast to BD Free for a trial run. My initial impression is pretty good. It is rather spartan, but if it's running at or near the same strength as its paid big brother, I can live with that. An initial full scan really didn't take that long...an on-demand scan of a freshly downloaded, slightly less than 10Mb file was different. That might need some speeding up, but maybe I've missed a perfectly legitimate explanation. The "need" to uninstall MBAM was a bit rough, but I was lucky because a fresh install of MBAM afterward still detected my installation ID and key (I lost the key quite some time ago). I'm assuming the request for registration of BD Free will occur after the first 30 days, as I've not been prompted to yet.

I'll see how things go for a few weeks, and if it behaves with my other programs (mostly MBAM) and keeps me out of unintended trouble it might be a keeper.

13. zmechys

I had Avira and Kingsoft AVs with MBAM, MBAR, SuperAntiSpyware, SpyboSearch&Destroy, etc... installed on a Win 7 laptop. I decided to install BitDefender Free AV without uninstalling (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/images/smilies/confused.gif) those AVs first.
    I've installed BDFA WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS. Several days later, I uninstalled Avira and Kingsoft. I did not touch MBAM.
    Again, BitDefender Free Antivirus is an excellent AV. Its detection rate beats Panda, Avast, AVG, MSE, Kingsoft, etc... Install Sandboxie with BDFA and you'll safe. Having said that, there is one but.
    It's the BitDefender Free AV scan on-demand time that makes BDFA unacceptable to me.
    I hope the BD developer team will rectify that problem.
    If that problem's fixed, it is very possible that BD loose me as a paid-version customer.
    Also, a lot of comments in this thread mention an "above average system load". I have not notice it on newer computers, but I'm going to try BD Free AV on an old XP computer with 0.5 GB RAM installed. Currently, I have KingSoft AV installed on it. KingSoft AV has some additional features that BDFA lacks, but BitDefender's detection rate is superb.

14. zmechys

The very first thing BD did was to FORCE me to uninstall MBAM on my old XP computer. Could not get around it.
    How could I install BD Free AV on my Win 7 laptop without problems?
    Just in case, on Win 7 I had the newest Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.70. My XP had the older version of MBAM. Maybe that is the reason.

15. er34

er34 Guest

Being compatible is completely different from being certified.

• Being compatible means that the program can be installed on the OS and can function somehow basically. But most likely there will tons of annoying problems. There are many such AVs - AVIRA is one of them.
    • Being certified by the OS vendor (a.k.a. from Microsoft) means the products is fully or almost fully compatible with the OS and follows Microsoft rules for well-written program for the given OS. Certified program is less likely to cause serious problems, is supposed to work better and is less likely to cause any annoying problems.

As of today, AVIRA 2013/2012/2010 is not certified and is not officially fully compatible with Windows 8 - written on their site - see the system requirements for their products. And they are very late about it. There are very few AV programs that actually are certified and actually work with no problems on Windows 8.

AVIRA do work on achieving Win 8 compatibility and they have released some builds in the mean time but still they have work to do to get it to the final step.

> The topic is for BitDefender - sorry about the off-topic <

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2013
  16. anon

anon Registered Member

@ er34 =>

17. rinem

rinem Registered Member

Dont even compare Avira with BD Free. BD Free is ad-free. Nuff said.

18. er34

er34 Guest

Please, visit the AVIRA web site, check their products and the official system requirements (at this moment Windows 8 is missing) . Try to install AVIRA on Windows 8 and use it.

I don't know how AVC confirmed AVIRA compatible (yes, compatible and certified is different) when the first versions had produced BSOD in Windows 8 - the BSOD on Windows 8 has now been fixed but still there are other small issues and things to be worked on till final 100% compatibility is achieved.

http://techblog.avira.com/2012/11/13/avira-and-the-compatibility-with-windows-8/en/

http://www.avira.com/en/support-for-home-knowledgebase-detail/kbid/1385

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Let's stay on the thread topic.

20. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Thank you. I was just inquiring due to the question that I PM'ed you about.

New question. Is the BitDefender Free version compatible with Windows XP?

21. zero2dash

zero2dash Registered Member

Yes, I've installed it on several fresh XP SP3 installs over the last week. Runs great, no problems. Minimal system impact....these are P4 3.0-3.2GHz models, some with 1GB of RAM, some with 2GB.

I'm fairly sure I'm going to switch my Win 7 / Avast systems over but I'm still mulling the whole 'quarantine/restoring files' issue.

22. zmechys

I've installed BitDefender Free Antivirus on my old XP with .5GB RAM computer. After running it for about 5 hours, I can easily see the difference between KingSoft AV and BDFA.
    Kinsoft has two processes, while idle:
    kxescore.exe - about 9,500 K, and
    kxetray.exe - about 2,900K.
    And
    three processes while scanning:
    kxescore.exe - about 13,500 K,
    kxetray.exe - about 5,900K,
    kscan.exe - about 48,000K

BitDefender Free AV has two processes (1) while idle:
    gzserv.exe - about 21,000K
    gziface.exe - about 6,000K
    And (2) while scanning on-demand:
    gzserv.exe - about 49,000K
    gziface.exe - about 15,000K

I would not recommend to install BitDefender Free AV on old computers.
    In terms of the CPU and memory usage, I would put
    1. KingSoft AV
    2. MSE AV
    3. Avira AV,
    BitDefender Free AV.

I'll check tomorrow if the numbers stay the same for BDFA.

23. Iulika0069

Iulika0069 AV Expert

This is also on our todo list: right now, BDAVFree doesn't force you to uninstall the current anti-malware solution; the way to continue without installing is to press "No, thanks" button..
    Yes, this is not that obvious, and we'll change the text and the layout/size of that button

24. zmechys

First time I said, NO, and installation stopped. I've tried second time, and installation quit on me again. Third time, I said, Yes.

More than one hour ago
    , I decided to test BDFA's on demand scan.
    I had a folder with one file 462K large.
    My BDFA on Win XP with .5GB RAM is still scanning and scanning.
    While scanning on-demand,
    gzserv.exe is about 79,000K
    gziface.exe - about 23,000K

Don't touch that "scan-file-on-demand" button!

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Just installed fresh on Win 7 x64, also had MBAM Free installed. BD Free objected to MBAM Free being there, I clicked "No thanks" and it then asked for a reboot to make sure MBAM Free was uninstalled. I rebooted. MBAM Free was still there and nothing had been done, but the installer goes nowhere when you click "No thanks". Ran installer again, this time said OK to the removal, and it uninstalled MBAM Free ok, then asked for a reboot. IMO, BD Free should then resume after the reboot and finish it's job, but instead, I had to start the installer again fresh. Otherwise, everything is ok so far...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.