Bitdefender Antivirus Free - English GUI

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Dec 23, 2012.

1. edwardmax2010

edwardmax2010 Registered Member

Re: Bitdefender Antivirus Free

Thanks for the clarification. ;)

2. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

so is the updating for program transparent ? or does it need to be installed when asked?

3. zip

zip Registered Member

The risk of deleted files keeps me from using it.

4. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

Okay I am unable to stayed logged in in some online games when Bitdefender free is running. Still buggy software.

Okay back to MSE. Bitdefender does show a lot of potential but until they fix those bugs I'd rather go with system stability/usability than protection. MSE being clear winner at this time.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2012
  5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Same here... I won't use it until they make some changes there....

6. Iulika0069

Iulika0069 AV Expert

Program update is transparent

7. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

I really want to use Bitdefender but I'm evaluating how much of a problem the deleted FPs could be for me.

Does Bitdefender give a clear message identifying what was deleted??

8. Sher

Sher Registered Member

I have uninstalled it for the time being because it broke my Google Chrome browser. I hope they fix it soon.

9. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

no, you have to see log to identify what is deleted and you can't restore it till BD is on your pc because there is no an exclusion feature
    Hoping soon will change

10. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I have it installed on 3 machines here, all Windows 7 x64 with Chrome and I have no issues at all. None of the machines have any other security installed, especially Comodo FW.

11. zip

zip Registered Member

No comdo junk my machines neither!

12. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I have Chrome as well and this deleting files and not being able to exclude folders or files just does not make sense, some installer files give a FP and so do some Custom shader's in video Games for example and what Romagnolo1973 said about no clear message identifying what was deleted. I think I will wait till this is fixed.

13. Sher

Sher Registered Member

I was experiencing that issue with Comodo FW installed, so may be, it's a software compatibility issue between the two products.

14. silverfox99

silverfox99 Registered Member

A simple test to see how BD AV Free deals with Eicar file. With Virus Shield option turned 'on', BD free won't let you near any of the Eicar file download options (see final image below). I turned Virus Shield to 'off' temporarily and downloaded Eicar file to desktop, then turned BD AV Virus Sheld back 'on' and tried to run Eicar. BD Free didn't delete, but put the file in Quarantine and advised user as you can see below. Clicking on 'Quarantine' lets you see quarantines file. Doesn't look like it has 'auto-deleted' on this occassion, but i can't see an option to reintstate quarantined file either in the example of an FP?

eicar_BDFree_Test.jpg
    eicar_BDFree_quarantine.jpg
    eicar_BDFree_quarantine_info.jpg
    eicar_BDFree_quarantine_info_detail.jpg

If you try to go near Eicar test with BD free (VS turned 'on') you get this
    eicar_test_bd.jpg

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Putting a file in quarantine without an option to restore it doesn't make any sense at all. Might as well just delete it, same thing really.

This needs to be an option... best approach is to just ask before doing anything. That much is obvious...

16. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I found this program doesn't like much of anything alongside it. Comodo FW, Kingsoft AV, WSA all gave me issues.

17. silverfox99

silverfox99 Registered Member

I agree. I guess with Eicar the AV knows this is no way a FP so doens't give the option to reinstate? Difficulty is in testing how the AV deals with actual FPs, unless they arise through chance........

Agree though, why have quarantine unless the purpose is to give the user the option of reinstating possible FPs?

18. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

If bitdefender is uninstalled from your system entirely then it may re-instate any quarantined items.:argh:

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Rather doubtful.. BD itself would never do that since it considers the item harmful. And when it quarantines an item, it probably moves it to another location for safety, so you'd never know where it was originally, even if the file was left behind after BD uninstall...

20. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Yea, I understand what the designers were trying to do, and who this is targeted for, but there really is no reason to not quarantine everything with the options to restore and delete. That hits the auto-pilot philosophy, while still maintaining usability from both beginners and advanced users alike. I'm sure they will discuss this in the new year.

21. aarste

aarste Registered Member

Doesn't seem to play nice with Deluge (torrent client) or Everything (file search tool) either. Tends to stops responding or crash with an error, even when I'm not actively using the PC. Is Bitdefender being too heavy-handed on files in use by other apps, thus causing them to crash?

22. THESAWISFAMILY2005

THESAWISFAMILY2005 Registered Member

all what this bitdefender does is make web freeze up

23. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Not here, on any one of the now 5 machines I have installed it on. All with different architecture and browsers. However, they all have the same thing in common, no other real time security software installed.

24. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I have it installed similar to DBone. Different machines, browsers and no other realtime security installed, all using windows FW and it's running real smooth. The auto delete thing is a bit troubling. I'm sure the auto delete is on solid known viruses that match to the bit. I really like the simple layout and powerful security rolled up into one.

Ice

25. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I installed it on my wife's, daughter's, mother's and dad's machines, as well as my test mule. I am the lucky SOB that gets to maintain their machines and I had MSE installed on all of them, but I really like the layout of BD Free and am willing to live with the way it manages threats. I do hope they tweak it a bit, but overall, I'm very happy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.