Bitdefender Antivirus Free - English GUI

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Dec 23, 2012.

1. THESAWISFAMILY2005

THESAWISFAMILY2005 Registered Member

are you serious,u cant do a full scan?

2. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

You can't. It's scheduled, however, to full scan once a week. Otherwise, you can always use the context menu to scan the drives:cautious:
    It's designed this way- to be completely automatic and be different unlike other vendors.

3. THESAWISFAMILY2005

do u use it personally?

4. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I do and he's spot on.

5. THESAWISFAMILY2005

i was wondering because i got a new computer running windows 8,and dont know a good free virus i can use?

any help?

6. clocks

clocks Registered Member

You can. Click C:\, right click, scan with BD. Obviously this program was designed to be minimalistic. Maybe so people that want more options, will buy the paid version. Most people will probably just use the auto scans anyway.

7. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

This might be good, try it out?

8. THESAWISFAMILY2005

How is avira free now adays does it work on 8?

9. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

this thread is for bitdefender AV free not avira. id start a new thread.

10. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

1. It ran a full scan by itself. I assume it runs it if the computer idles long enough? Idle scanning seems good. Norton does that and people like Norton.

2. It will ask you during installation to uninstall conflicting software like Malwarebytes, but you can just select "No thanks" and it will install just fine.

I'm pretty impressed with it.

11. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Bitdefender Antivirus Free

A Review

12. THESAWISFAMILY2005

Thanks for the review :)

13. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

You are welcome! :thumb:

14. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I agree. I talked to friends and relatives about this free BitDefender version, in case they were unhappy (for whatever reason) with their current free solution, and when they asked how it worked and I told them it would automatically delete any files it would deem to be malicious, they passed it.

Turns out, they have their current solutions set to alert them (some of them, while others are fine with their current solution), and then they will send the files to services such as VT and to the antivirus lab itself, for further analysis. They never delete something their antivirus finds without having other opinions, especiall when it comes to system files.
    Some of them had problems in the past with some antimalware applications removing system files and make impossible to login. They learnt the lesson well.

BitDefender by automatically quarantining/removing files, without an option to only alert, are asking for trouble. Who's to blame when something goes bad? The user? BitDefender? lol

15. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

^ That's what's keeping BitDefender free from being one of the best free AVs out there.

16. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Maybe BD team uses this catch to urge users to buy the paidee? I don't see other explanation.

17. rinem

rinem Registered Member

How does an average user knows if an alert is a false positive? Why bother them with an alert about an infection? I never understood why an av needs to ask the user what to do...
    My friends are happy if they never see an alert about infections and if they see one they panic and obviously dont know what to do next. Bitdefender Free is doing everything right imo and they are not known for high fp's.
    You can always buy their paid products to get alerts and settings :D

18. silverfox99

silverfox99 Registered Member

Re: Bitdefender Antivirus Free

Nice review but that guy needs to get out more - he starts the review with "Up until now, only Microsoft, AVG, Avast, and Avira were offering free antivirus software for Windows operating system."

Errr just 4 free AVs?

He should get with Wilders and read this thread:
    List of Free Antivirus (Realtime Scan + Threat Removal + English Interface)

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=290788

Thread started with 22 free AVs, more added in the thread itself.

19. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

They don't know if it's a false positive, therefore I told those who wanted to listen to double check by using services such VT and also sending to the respective antivirus lab e-mail/online submission form the malicious file for further analysis. (And to stop doing important online tasks, until they get an answer.)

And, while your question is a valid question, I'd also like to ask you: Why should users be bothered with systems ruined by antimalware applications?

In my book, it's easier to send a file to VT/other and to the antimalware lab, than it is to repair a system... to them (I mean, themselves repairing it or waiting a week or more for the computer shop folks to finally be able to put hands on their laptop, as other clients may have priority over them at that moment.). Right? ;)

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

There has to be some sort of notification otehrwise they will think the download link is broken because they wouldn't get the desired file from net. But if you download something and AV popup appears, most connect both and they know it was malware that they downloaded.

21. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I agree that most average Joes would be glad not having to do anything about malware and have the AV do everything needed for them without bothering them.

But false positives can become obvious and can become also a real problem, if the AV "shoots first and asks later", that is, deletes without asking. For example, i have XMplay as music player. For whatever reason, Twister's heuristics flags it as malware and Avast auto-sandboxes it as "suspicious file" and then says that had not enough evidence that it is really malware and asks whethet i want it to run out of the sandbox or not. A "bitdefender"-like approach would be "Xmplay deleted". As soon as the "average Joe" tries to click on his MP3... nothing happens...XMplay doesn't start! Why? What happened? "My PC won't play music any longer! Did i catch a virus? Help me, Wilders members!". If this happens on a system file, then it's a bigger issue still.

Now if he sees a notification "XMplay.exe-trojan dropper.B detected", he still has a chance to use his brain and think "wait a minute, this can't be a virus! This is my music player!" or "I 'd better phone my friend who knows about virus to ask about it", while it's in the quarantine, the damage can be undone.

22. kupo

kupo Registered Member

They don't want to see notifications means they are an idiot already?

23. rinem

rinem Registered Member

You talk about fps like its a major problem. Bitdefender does a good job at keeping fps low like other companies try too. You need alerts for the exceptional low case that u get a fp? Just keep the pc free of malware with a detection rate of 99% without alerts.

24. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

The problem is this. If a user gets bamboozled because he happened to be in the low case that gets FP, he won't be happy. And i bet as soon as someone explains him that his legit file was deleted, he will say "change my antivirus".

At that point, depends a matter of tolerance or taste. I 'd pick auto-quarantine and a small notification pop-up.

Cause when the "low chance" happens, it can be nightmare:

http://www.scmagazineuk.com/bitdefe...d-as-a-trojan-and-quarantined/article/166210/

And if files are deleted, there may be no other coming back from the nightmare, other than "Format". The job of the antivirus is preventing disaster, not causing it. Deleting has no advantage over quarantine for average Joe. Even in quarantine, the file is off limits and can't harm.

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

this is all ridiculous. We are talking about a frigging free product. It doesnt matter if they are parts you like or dislike because it is free. No one forces you to use it, so I personally think if you get, "bamboozled: then it is your own fault.

If you want a product with all the bells and whistles then pay for one. But this one being free offers what most average users want and that is perfectly fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.