Bitdefender Antivirus Free - English GUI

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Dec 23, 2012.

1. amvlad

amvlad Registered Member

Hi guys,

The last update of our free antivirus for Windows affected some computers on September 5th , starting at 16.00 GMT. We deeply regret the situation and we were able to mitigate all the issues and sort everything back to normal in 90 minutes. However, if any of you still experience technical issues associated with Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition, we kindly ask you to send an email to our taskforce especially assembled for this event: avfree-priority@bitdefender.com

This temporary fault has not deleted any files on the users’ computers and hasn’t modified any settings made by the user. In addition, the users have been protected all the time, despite this incident. Please accept our apologies for this issue.

/Alin Vlad
    Global Social Media Coordinator at Bitdefender

2. davexnet

davexnet Registered Member

Was this an error in the Virus pattern database, or a programming error?

Appreciate you fixed it quickly, but shouldn't either of the above scenarios
    be tested *before* it's released to the public?

3. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Well I was just about to go to my friend's house because every time he tries to open any program, the computer will completely freeze for a few minutes, but now I'm trying to find if it is BD Free causing it before I go over.

I'm thinking of taking BD Free off my website. Between the Logs button issue (or has that been fixed?) and now this, it seems buggy and their QC is bad.

UPDATE: I had my friend uninstall it. He had to do it in safe mode, but now his Internet connects fine, and his PC is fine, so it was BD :thumbd:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  4. I have bitdefender free on my android transformer, so I have nothing gainst BD. Still I think that their free version is a cloud pilot for the real thing (the paid version), so I would not install it. Also wonder whether BD brand is harmed by the quality of this freebie or the bad experiences are typical for Wilders forum members (testing their own setup in multi layered security config). Considering BD is an A-brand, the "brand noise" invoked by wilders folks must be minimal, otherwise BD would have corrected those problems much faster with higher priority.

5. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I think people here have been pretty vocal about bugs not being fixed, such as the Logs button, but for some reason BD Free is low-priority for the developers.

6. Android version is already cloud based, expect windows version to be cloud based in 2015, when all problems are ironed out.:eek:

7. internet addict

internet addict Registered Member

I thought BD Free was great until the false scare a week ago. As far as I'm concerned this product is still in its beta stages. Maybe I'll try it again in the future if it ever becomes stable.

8. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Bitdefender Free was uninstalled on the last of my computers early this week. Freezes, lock-ups et cetera after a product update of Free version made my server (which HAS to be online 24/7 without problems, EVER) unusable.

No, I will switch to policy based protection only on my server from now on. Probably AppGuard.

9. zero2dash

zero2dash Registered Member

Friend of mine said her computer was running slower than hell earlier this week....wish I would have checked this thread 2 days ago, I would have saved myself a lot of time. :blink: Her machine is happily chugging along with Avast Free and I'm not going to install or recommend BDFA anymore.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, I noticed a long time ago that there doesn't seem to be much attention given to it by the BD people, and decided that it's probably best to move on...

11. internet addict

internet addict Registered Member

Avast 8 Free is working excellent for me.

12. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Does BD free have an exemption list?

i.e 'Keep ya nose out of these folders BitDefender! Do NOT scan. Do not delete. Do not quarantine.'

13. ance

ance formerly: fmon

I don't think so. :blink:

+1 :)

14. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Looks like BDFA lost a lot of support after this...

15. shadek

shadek Registered Member

No wonder the support is gone... and users ditching the product. It has rendered two of my computers unusable.

First time on my high-end gaming PC, Windows would not boot. I had to boot into safe mode and uninstall.

Second time, and most devastating, was last week when Bitdefender released a broken update. My server, which absolutely has to be online and working 365/24/7, had lock ups, crashes and HTTP traffic would no longer work. When I tried to uninstall the product, the uninstaller was unable to uninstall the product. It either crashed or gave me the message that the uninstallation failed. Same thing when I booted into safe mode.

I highly recommend all users to avoid this product. It has been shown through several updates that with each update, a potential breakdown is possible.

And from what I can read it's not only me... 90% of the posts lately are negative feedback and people being mad about getting their computers crashed by Bitdefender Free.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  16. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Yes, very little support from them along with a killer bug.... not a very good combination.

17. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

I've never had the "PC refuses to be boot" thing, but the continuing Logs button issue and BD Free blocking internet access on two occasions I have had. The internet access thing is fixed leaving only the Logs button issue. It's true we don't see much love from the Development team. This is shameful on their part, IMO. No one answering our concerns/bugs about their product. They just throw it out there and let us wrestle with the problems that arise with hardly a word from them. No wonder so many people are dissatisfied with BD Free.

Personally, I will continue to try it out every once in a while to see how its progressing. BD Free is a really good product that deserves more attention from its creators. As Kees said, though they realize it or not this whole episode has tarnished the BitDefender name.

Later...

18. zip

zip Registered Member

logs wont work :mad:

19. SweX

SweX Registered Member

now again? :shifty:

20. ance

What did you expect? :D

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The thread that wouldn't die... no matter how terrible the product is.. :D

22. zip

zip Registered Member

Yes again. For a l long time I did not have a proplem with the logs till now.

:rolleyes: I like BD Free.

23. zip

zip Registered Member

A fast fix for BD FREE logs is a restart. :D

24. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think we can conclude that it's just plain buggy....

25. ance

Or a reinstall twice a day. :doubt:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.