Bitdefender 2018

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by escalibur, Jul 12, 2017.

1. escalibur

escalibur Registered Member

Bitdefener 2018 is out now. According to their support the update should be done by uninstalling the 2017 and installing 2018 from central.bitdefender.com portal.

https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/antivirus.html

I've upgraded my v2017 and so far 2018 seems to work just fine. No big differences from 2017 apart from better ransomware protection (task bar icon bug is now fixed).

2. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

So you cant install it over top of 2017?

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

TRUST ME. Go to your Bitdefender Central acct. to update. Otherwise updating versions can be a PITA!

4. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

Right that's what I planned on doing.

5. WigglyTheGreat

WigglyTheGreat Registered Member

I have Bitdefender Total Security 2017 installed and am looking to update to 2018. I went to BITDEFENDER Central and attempted to install BITDEFENDER from there, but it said it wants to uninstall 2017 and then install 2017 so the version there has not been updated for me. I see where I can install the 2018 trial, but not sure if that will update properly and I can use my license there. Any suggestions? Thanks

6. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

Bitdefender AV+ 2017 uninstall failed for me, even using their 2017 uninstall tool left all the files on system & tray icon greyed out. Ended up having to try & install the 2018 version which failed & asked for a reboot then run the install again which succeeded & then just delete the 2017 folder. Also there seems to be no way to specify a custom install location in the 2018 installer. As usual with new bitdefender versions the options are dumbed down even more.

7. WigglyTheGreat

Thanks for the reply Banzi. I don't feel like dealing with any upgrade issues right at the moment so I am not gonna try upgrading right now or at least wait until the weekend.
    I did just find this info on Bitdefender's site though and it looks lime they will push update through the software itself. Maybe rolled out in stages, but I don't know. Anyway I can wait a bit longer.
    "Bitdefender 2018 gives you unmatched cyber-security and offers a wealth of features designed to keep your family safe. It is the first version to be delivered via product update, instead of uninstall and install."

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Some of the instructions to update are counter intuitive. Suggestion - be careful what you're reading & more than likely should work.

9. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

Well 2018 update went smooth for me :thumb:..

1. Ran the 2017 uninstaller tool(twice and rebooted each time just to be sure all was removed)and rebooted PC.

2. Turned off ALL real time protection from MBAM and ZEMANA(installation precaution)

3. Logged into my BD central went to "my devices" and clicked "Install bitdefender"

Followed all the prompts did a system scan and all is well!!! :)

10. dav88

dav88 Registered Member

Went smoothly for me as well. I went to bitdefender central and downloaded installer. Ran installer and it uninstalled Bitdefender 2017 then rebooted and installed Bitdefender 2018.

11. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Smooth here as well.

12. anon

anon Registered Member

13. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

Anyone else noticed this bug, bitdefender keeps resetting show hidden files, folders & drives. I check show these items & click apply the desktop icons flash but as soon as I click the ok button the desktop icons flash again & when I check that setting again it has rest to none of them checked.Bugs like this should be fixed before releasing the new version.

14. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Yes just noticed. Not back & forth yet, we'll see. Happened before but I always thought it was WU. Who knows.

15. Moose World

Moose World Registered Member

Hi,

Could you provide a link for 2017 uninstaller tool? Please!

Appreciate!!!

16. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I read a couple years ago that BD did not recommend using the BD Uninstall Tool unless one experienced problems with regular uninstalls.

17. hawki

hawki Registered Member

18. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

19. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thanks now I know.

20. ance

ance formerly: fmon

New GUI and old bugs, that's Bitdefender. :D

21. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

If this means program updates were not automatic, I'm surprised BD has mismanaged this in the last few years.

If it means that from now on, new product versions (annual releases) will automatically be downloaded and updated, that's a different story. Even then it's a bit late.

The new features do not seem significant except for the Advanced Threat Defense. I wonder if that will be part of the SDK.

22. hawki

hawki Registered Member

IMHO the idea that "Advanced Threat Defense" is in fact something new is highly suspect.

A few years ago BitDefender made a huge splash with what it called "The Brain." "The Brain" covered the entirety of BitDefender's homepage with lots of splashy graphics and ad copy that implied that it was some major breakthrough. However, all "The Brain" turned out to be was a re-naming of Bitdefender's malware network as it had existed for years.

hawki suspects that "Advanced Threat Defense" is little more than a re-naming of BD's multi-layered detection/blocking, incrementally refined as is typical in a year over year upgrade. Of course, BD's detection/blocking protections are already excellent as of the 2017 version.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  23. Lucius

Lucius Registered Member

This new "Advanced Threat Defense" is their Active Virus Control, they just renamed it.

Year after year, they change gui a little, all the old bugs remains etc.. Had it like 5 mins on my pc and uninstalled, no thanks! Protection is solid for sure, but there is so many better coded products available..

24. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

2017 was great for me any bugs that i noticed they fixed in a reasonable amount of time, I've been with bitdefender since 2014 and have been nothing but happy with it, outstanding protection it works for me.

25. WigglyTheGreat

Today I had some free time so I logged back into BITDEFENDER Central this time the 2018 version was offered to me so I let it uninstall 2017 and install 2018. No issues were noticed with the process so far and it's running smooth. I didn't notice much other than I can block web cam access now and I don't remember that being there before. With this upgrade it seems like just minor changes were made, but it works without slowing me down and protection is said to be top notch so I have no complaints.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.