Bitdefender 2014 is out!!!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by c2d, Jun 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c2d

c2d Registered Member

That's a real bummer :thumbd:

2. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

Lets hope so lol.

3. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Hi moxxey,
    Will you please provide a link to where you came across this information so I can read up on it?

Thanks

4. moxxey

moxxey Registered Member

There is no link. It's internal information at the moment. I'm giving you all a heads up!

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

wow that sucks. we stopped dealing with kaspersky due to this and we have had issue where people do activate in the proper country then go out of the country for work etc and then they have a issue. we argued this all we could then gave up. i truly hope bitdefender does not go this way...i dont use it personally but know many who do.

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Just loaded the trial of Bitdefender Internet Security. How can I tell if it's the 2014 version? The build number is 17.13.0.551 and the copyright date is 2013. Generally it is running well with little impact on boot time and resources. Occasionally the gadget will disappear and I have to close and restart the agent to get it back. I also find it odd that the agent is the only indication that the IS is running and is not protected. I'd like to see the agent process hardened. Otherwise it's pretty much "set and forget".

7. ance

ance formerly: fmon

I would never buy a software with this restriction. :doubt:

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

It's not clear yet exactly what the restriction is.

9. raidershog

raidershog Registered Member

I can't speak for Bitdefender 2014 regarding license activation in the country where you purchased it; however, I CAN speak about the same issue with Kaspersky Anti-Virus. When I entered my new license into the program BEFORE the license expired I would get an occasional message stating that my new license was invalid. I finally realized that I would get that message every time I changed my IP (vpn) to a country outside of the USA. So, I made sure that once my old license expired that I would make sure that I was using the proper IP while activating the new license. Once the license WAS activated, I no longer had any issues! Again, the "key" is to make sure that you're using the SAME country IP's that you used to purchase the "key" when you actually DO ACTIVATE THE LICENSE. I'm sure that the same would hold true for BD subscribers!

10. zfactor

its a stupid restriction though any way you look at it.

11. ZeroDay

Indeed it is but I can see many going down the same route.

12. zfactor

maybe there will be a few more but i really dont think they will all go this way. there are some that have already informed me that at least for a good while they will not be heading that way.

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

What is the motivation? Is it a concern about piracy? Is that a problem with security software?

14. zfactor

imo yes as well as buying cheap copies from outside your territory. as a example sometimes you see a av on sale say in china or the uk but not here in the usa so people will buy from there and use the lic here. or another example is a seller on ebay or other site who will buy a small ton of those cheap lic's and then resell them to make money on them when they are not a official reseller to use norton as a example this happened a lot with the lic's from china. this is one of the major problems when buying lic's on ebay and why you have to be so careful. also you will see some sellers sell the very same lic key to a whole slew of people. the key would work but only for a while till they kill it and by then the person who bought it would have no recourse at all. i have also seen where people were using stolen card account to buy a ton of lic's and reselling them only to have then killed again after they company caught them. this was a bit thing we saw with norton from people who would come in to see us (because they had there lic killed and we were a official reseller) on ebay for a while from some sellers. but yes piracy is also a problem for many companies. sadly all these things lead to companies having to take some kind of action to stop this from happening

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  15. moxxey

moxxey Registered Member

16. ZeroDay

17. escalibur

escalibur Registered Member

I've been using BD AntiVirus Plus 2014 since it came out and yesterday I had to uninstall it. Why? Because

- It's full of features I don't need (Safepay/wallet, privacy protection, password manager etc.. Also auto update was sometimes off even I definitely kept it on ON. About false positives phishing protection blocked wiltteri.net (finnish AdBlock list) which has nothing to do with malware.

- Man-in-the-middle-like SSL connection 'caputre' should definitely be off by default

- BD software have some serious issues with games like Sims 3. (the game wont start no matter how and what you try)

I spent more than 3h trying to make Sims 3 work (downloaded from Origin) and last thing I tried is to remove BD. Annoying thing is that even disabling real-time protection didn't solve the problem but uninstall did.

Now back to Windows Defender + EMET until I found some proper reasons why should I replace MSE with Kaspersky or Panda Cloud.

18. moxxey

moxxey Registered Member

Anyone have the changelog for the new 17.16 update? Must be fairly major, I guess?

19. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Where are you seeing that option and why should it be OFF by default?

20. escalibur

It's 'Scan SSL'.

http://technicallyeasy.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/bitdefender-privacy-control-settings-ssl-scan-off-620x416.png
    2014 have the same options.

Why it should be off by default? Because I've understood that most of the people want to have secured connection between A and B instead of A to C (secretly) to B. When I visit eg. Gmail I don't want to see any other but Google's/Gmail's SSL certificate.

21. Victek

Victek Registered Member

How are you determining that there is an "A-C-B" connection and how/where are you seeing multiple SSL certificates when you go to a site such as Gmail?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  22. escalibur

When I visit Gmail with Chrome I can see BitDefender's certificate instead of Gmail's. Where? Well there were you can usually see which certificate spesific site is using. Do a test for yourself and you will understand my point.

23. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I installed Chrome, logged into Gmail and when I right-click the identity information in the address bar I see:

"The identity of this website has been verified by Bitdefender Personal CA.Net-Defender"

Is that what you're referring to? Do you have a problem with Bitdefender verifying the legitimacy of the site? Isn't that what the anti-phishing component of a security suite should do?

24. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

BOY! Am I dumb??
    I installed a trial BD IS, but cannot find whether it is 2013 or 2014. Where is that shown?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

25. hawki

hawki Registered Member

There is no BD IS 2014. There is The New BD IS.

The current download is the new BD IS.

If its BD 2013 it would say BD IS 2013 in the upper left hand corner of the GUI.

If it only reads BD IS its the New BD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.