bitdefender 10 beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by the extremist, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chia

chia Registered Member

arthaszen, you sound like you work for Softwin. I was able to find this on the server..."bitdefender_isecurity_v10_beta_preview". I assume this is the correct file??

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Care to explain? o_O

3. chia

chia Registered Member

Not sure who are you referring to?

Anyway, the beta folder on the server where I found that file is no longer there :doubt: . Guess it wasn't the correct one. Back to eagerly awaiting again.

4. Ciubaka

Ciubaka Registered Member

Can u tell us on which server? couse i busted my ftp's searching for it. i want at least the server, and i'll monitor myself
    thanks

5. chia

chia Registered Member

Sorry, guess I should have included that. There was a beta folder in here but it has since been removed...http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/desktop/internet_security/

I haven't even looked on the ftp servers.

EDIT: Just checked ftp server and the file I talked about is there. Not sure if it's what they plan to release though. ftp://80.86.106.20/pub/windows/desktop/internet_security/beta/

Last edited: May 15, 2006
  6. Ciubaka

Ciubaka Registered Member

thanks, i downloaded it, they put it up again. good luck with the bugs :)

7. chia

chia Registered Member

Now I just got to wait for the bug reporting section on the site to become active ;). Also waiting for an update to come through to see if it is now truly "silent". Some of the GUI changes are nice.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Kinda dissapointed. I was expecting alot more. I hope they at least remade the updater. Otherwise it appears i'll stick with Standard edition. IS edition has way too many modules that i don't need (Parental,Antispam and partially firewall).
    On-Demand scan speed isn't changed (same as BD9).
    Weird thing is that i don't see Outbreak Detection under Virus Shield. BD9 had that bthingie but not BD10. Heh...

9. chia

chia Registered Member

Nothing has changed with the updater, the GUI still has to shut down and restart. That was a letdown. :ouch:

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Haven't had chance to see the updater yet (in update interval state, not manual update), but does it restart just tray icon or does it also show taskbar "button" while restarting? Coz i could live with just tray icon, but also taskbar is annoying like hell. Makes me wonder what the hell have they actually improved? A bit different GUI skin and preset sliders for settings of each shield. And thats where innovations end.
    I expected at least improved updater and "Ask" mode for On-Access detections, not just predefined. On-Demand mode has this option but not On-Access. Have no clue why not. I also don't know where are they hidding HTTP scanner. Haven't seen it at all. If this is truly THE BitDefender 10 Beta that we're suppose to test today (16th May), than i probably won't even bother. There's nothing new to test anyway.:rolleyes:

EDIT:
    Omg, HTTP scanner is a part of Parental Control. So BD10 Standard won't have it. Yey, it will be heavily crippled version this time around...

EDIT2:
    Oh my god. Updater hasn't changed at all. If this is it, then i'm greatly dissapointed. Will wait till "official" release of BD10 beta test (it's 16th May and still nothing), but i'm already having bad taste in my mouth about this "whole new product".

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  11. arthaszen

arthaszen Registered Member

Hmmm...i'm back, after a looong sleep.

Let's seee:
    0. I speak not as an Bitdefender oficial, but like a user like you (ok, with a lot more inside -but public- info;)

1. Guys, chill!!!! It's just a beta, it's purpose it is not to amaze you and to furfill your wildest dreams, but to give you the oportunity to help us create a product that you will enjoy.

2. If we release now a new, unsificient tested update module, that would potentially affect our entire beta campaign. So we preferred to add the changes a little bit later , after the product will became more stable

3. Our main priority was tu assure you a safe testing, so our efforts wore directed towards the antivirus mechanism

12. arthaszen

dude, where did you see the http scanner in the parental module ? :))

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's a matter of simple testing with samples. Warning dialog states that Parental Control blocked "this" sample. It also shows local path, not URL, but it's certanly a HTTP scan. Otherwise it wouldn't check inside archives (Virus Shield doesn't do that by default).

14. arthaszen

what does this 'sample' is ?

an infected file?

a application that connects to the net and/or attempts to send a file

...for example?

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Malware sample (malware file if you want)...

16. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

It's amazing how quickly a lot of 'experts' jump to their gun and start shooting at a product, released hours ago as a Beta.....
    Like it was said by arthaszen, try to evaluate this for a while and post constructive complaints and don't get all jumpy!

Rome wasn't built in one day either.....remember?

17. mikesu

mikesu Registered Member

Everything is OK? :oops:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2006
  18. arthaszen

malware you say....hmm i was expecting a more detailed answer from a Security - OP :))

sonny, when you say malware is like saying "sports" when i ask you if its fotbal or basketbal

viruses are malware, spyware ar malware , rootkits are malware , trojans are malware and a lot other examaples...one big happy family

so try to be more specific, give me more details and less bs ..to help me get your problem fixed

19. arthaszen

mikesu - NO, it is not OK...in this PREVIEW of Beta firewall is NOT enabled

But don't worry it will be ready tonight.

Thank you for your interest;)

P.S. You scared me with your drawings..i thought they were real

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I ain't an expert but i have lots of testing experience (especially in AV sector).
    Shooting at it? Hell yeah!? All i can see is a badly working installer (i can't even test modules properly), new skin and a bit redesigned menus/presets. And thats it. I usually see a lot more in such "major" updates. Lots of stuff which were the most criticized (namely updater the most) are still exactly the same.
    I sure hope this is just an early preview of BD10, rather than latest beta meant for actual testing. Still waiting for that notification mail to sum up the conclusion. Or will they again move the date for 1 day...:rolleyes:

@arthaszen
    Does it really matter? I could be throwing EICAR at it and wouldn't make a difference apart from being completely benign. It was a small set of ITW samples.

21. arthaszen

if it is as you say you should receive a Virus Alert (..file x was detected etc)

instead of a Parental Control alert

----
    a lot of talk and no usefull info
    ----
    post a print screen and it will be enough
    ----

dude, read my previous post about the update module, it will be exactly as we promised, but it coould not be integrated in a instable version of Beta because it could jepardise the update procedure if it would contain a bug ==> affecting the entire betai campaign

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

A lot of talk and no useful info? Ever tried reproducing it? It's not really a rocket science considering i don't even have access to BD10 specs and closed info.
    It's just a simple trial and error stuff.

Good enough?
    http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/8438/httpscn13da.th.png

I've used EICAR.zip on non secure link for stuff shown on picture (as you can see in URL bar)...

EDIT:
    Also will BD10 Standard be released at same time or much later? I remember BD9 Standard being released loooooooooooooong after BD9 IS and BD9 Pro were released.

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  23. mikesu

mikesu Registered Member

I apologize Bubba.
    but this "words" were included in my BitDefender 10 Internet Security - BETA PREVIEW. I don't know why and I think that arthaszen doesn't know too... ;)

24. arthaszen

Perfect !! RejZor, i understand your confusion now.

You should have told me that you were trying to download an infected file.

This feature will be available also in the standard product, don't worry

...ok, next issue ?

25. arthaszen

mikesu, you have a corrupted kit...someone played a joke on you and modified your ini files

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.