Bit Defender scan times?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Aug 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Using KIS 2013 I am having long, several hours, scan times. If I cannot find a solution I might dump it.
    Although I really like Avast it has not shown itself in the top tier sometimes. Accordingly, I am considering BD IS.

For those using BD, are your scan times long, 2 hours or more<

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Win7 64 BDIS 2014 scan times closer to 30 minutes.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Excellent.
    Thanks,
    Jerry

4. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

How much data do you have to scan.?
    Thanks.

5. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  6. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

242,774 files.

Baldrick,
    Yes those are both checked. I'll uncheck and try again.

Thanks,
    Jerry

8. Disney

Disney Registered Member

1 million files takes 2 hours 30 minutes roughly . Liable to clean up and leave your start page as about:blank . I have had malware do this but , BitDefender does it almost every time it cleans anything other than cookies .

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Unchecking iSwift and iChecker did not fix the problem.
    Jerry

10. hawki

hawki Registered Member

I have been trying so many demos lately cuz my current license is about to expire so I forget which But either The New Bitdefender or BD Windows 8 Security or both does remove tracking cookies. Also,while scanning with BD it does not effect the speed of my doing something else on my PC while it is scanning.

I just tried KIS 2014. I could barely do anything else on my PC while it was running -- took 1 minute+ to open FF23. The scanning itself is VERY slow compared to BD. On my first Full scan with KIS 2014 It took over 2 1/2 hours to scan 60% of my system. My initial scan with BD took 1 3/4 hours. AND I COULD NOT STOP the KIS scan and could not restart my PC even after 3 attempts to stop the scan with KIS Scan Task Manager. This is a bug that needs fixing. I had been using KIS 2013 and never had a problem stopping a scan. I had to turn off the power on my PC to restart. First thing I did when I rebooted was to uninstall KIS 2014.

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi hawki,
    That approximates my experience. Accordingly, I have removed KIS 2013 and installed BD IS. So far it is running well, and a full scan took just over an hour.

Years ago I had trouble with BD, and could not get much help. The BD forum mods at that time thought BD could do no wrong, and were very rude. I dumped BD. The mods there now are not the same so I am trying BD since it has such good results in all tests. I am hoping it will work out on both my machines.

Regards,
    Jerry

12. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Jerry

Are you scanning archives etc., i.e., are the scan settings so that this will occur?

If you have customised your scan settings perhaps setting these back to default, followed by another scan may give some idea if the issue is customised settings?

Otherwise...I am stumped.

13. m0unds

m0unds Guest

BD has been protecting my in-laws' machines for the last 24 mos or so - no issues to speak of. I've left it in autopilot on all three. The scan times aren't that long, but it appears it's just doing its automatic idle scanning stuff coupled with quick scans or whatever. Last scan on my MIL's machine was 50 seconds or so in duration.

14. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Yes that was my initial reaction also but I have read that it offloads scanning of trusted apps to the cloud. Not sure of this though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.