Bit Defender - I don't believe it.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

there are problems with bitdefender 9.. you will get a bsod when you first update bitdefender.. the message in the BSOD said that it looked like it was a problem with "regspy" (or "spyreg".. not sure..)..

other problems that i had with bitdefender was when the program would restart, after each update, often the realtime scanning would not be running until i would reboot..

i would like to use bitdefender, but they need to improve some things, and change some things, imo..

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have seen some oddities with BD 9 Std also. Had it crash a few times after an update and fail to reload itself. That plus some random errors in the event viewer logs. I like BD a lot, but it is a little rough around the edges, not always, but occasionally.

3. PCJohn

PCJohn Registered Member

BD 8 won`t run/scan manually if you disabled startup.
    Another AV did, so that one gets bonus points.

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Well, well, well...how ironic that I was reading this thread when it all became clear as to why Softwin doesn't care if their application works with Spybot or Spyware Blaster. All of a sudden as I am reading page three of this thread, up pops a Bit Defender screen that says BD is currently being upgraded for spyware detection and that the upgrade is free. :D

Only thing is I can't see any change in BD. The popup said to go to Antivirus/Shield Settings/advanced. But I don't see anything there about spyware detection. I see no change anywhere in the GUI. Wonder if I need to reboot to get it? Ugh. I have two virtual machines running so I don't want to reboot. The popup didn't say I needed to reboot. I just tried their chat for the first time and learned it doesn't work in Fx (nothing to click) and in IE both IE7b2 and IE6 on a virtual machine, I have no place to type my question. So, I don't know what the heck I just got from BD. You'd think they could do an upgrade better than this.

Attached Files:

5. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

So this was from BD9 STD?
    If so that is very "nice"

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

No, I have the Pro version but the popup doesn't say it is just for the Pro version so, let's hope it is for the Standard version also.

7. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

I think you need to reboot to see “scan for spyware” option.

tD

8. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Attached Files:

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Well, I went to all the trouble of rebooting and I don't have it. BD is driving me nuts too because it alerts constantly on a file (File c:\documents and settings\marilyn\local
    settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5\9tmi19vy\iedie[1].htm
    infected with Trojan.JS.MBork.A) it says is in IE TIF but which it isn't there because TIF has been emptied and IE isn't even open. IE7B2 is immune to the exploit (Microsoft Security Advisory 917077) MS is fixing next month and I am about ready to throw BD in the trash. It alerted again right after I rebooted. Geez. It says it has blocked this trojan. I got the file originally from doing the test that was linked in the thread at dslreports. That was before BD and Kaspersky wrote signatures and IE promptly crashed after halfway downloading the pic. I also had IE7B1 at the time which is not immune. Then I upgraded to IE7B2 and BD wrote a signature.

At least, I finally heard from support just now. They say to run a full scan and send it to them. I hardly ever run full BD scans as they take forever. Good thing it is bedtime. It can run while I sleep.

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I don't see any Anti-Spyware module either (restarted several times and checked for updates and it says i'm up to date). So what gives?
    Mele20, do you have the solution?

EDIT:
    Weird. It appears they've used different approach than in Internet Security package.
    I just started On-Demand scanner and it appears to check for spyware/adware.
    But there is no separate module shown on the left side...

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  11. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

BitDefender Standard and Pro have just been upgraded/updated to version 9.5. And yes, there is an anti-spyware module included. Just check out the BD web site!

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It is, but no the way we "all" were used to (like in BD9 Internet Security).

13. timcan

timcan Registered Member

Well,I've done a scan since this spyware update.Scan settings are enabled.Doesn't appear to have scanned any spyware.

Attached Files:

14. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I think there is something wrong with the upgrade. When I started a full scan last night, BD had that "Spyware Threats detected" down in the bottom right corner. When I checked today, and the scan was finished, that had disappeared and in the right bottom corner was "identified viruses" instead.

Ahh...I just read the BD news release. That says the scanning is done in REAL TIME. Ugh. I don't want that at all! Wonder how I stop that. I wouldn't mind having antispyware scanning as On Demand but not in real time. If I can't stop that then I will go back to BD free. I used BD free for over a year as my ONLY AV and it was much better than this BD Pro which tries to do a lot of unnecessary stuff. I have the spam detector and email scanner both turned off and now I need to find out how to turn off the antispyware scanner. Gee,l got BD partly because it did not do all this real time stuff that KIS 2006 and NOD32 are doing. I just want an AV scanner that is top notch...not anything else from my AV thank you.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, why not leave it scan for spyware on-access ? You won't notice the difference. You can set this under Virus Shield settings (Scan accesed files).

16. TradeMark

TradeMark Registered Member

17. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

That "scan for spyware" under the Virus Shield settings wasn't there even after I rebooted. I had to reboot again just now before that finally showed up. I feel better now that I unchecked that. If I want to scan for spyware, I will use Spybot and I use Spyware Blaster for IE. If I have problems with those when using BD it will be BD that goes bye-bye not Spyware Blaster or Spybot.

Hmmm...I just read the PDF. You are right. I don't have any of the new stuff except the "scan for spyware". What was that "scan for riskware"? I never had that in ver 9.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  18. TradeMark

I just speaked with them on live and this is already fixed
    You must click on Antivirus > Scan > Settings > and Default when you click on Default it will be fixed.
    :thumb:

19. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Thanks. I see it now. How did you get live chat to work? It doesn't work at all on Fx as there is no button.It also doesn't work on IE7b2 and there is no place to click to get to it. Just like Fx. On IE6 on a virtual machine, there is a button to push and then I get this screen that asks for my name and email address and then something is under that but I can only see the top half of the words as the bottom half is cut off. There is no place to type my question. I had to email them last night about BD alerting many times a day on nonexistent IE TIF files that BD thinks are the exploit that MS is patching in April. I would have liked to have done a chat instead but I can't see how to get a field to type in. Plus, I don't want to have to start a virtual machine with IE6 on it just in order to be able maybe to do a chat. They should make that available on Fx.

20. TradeMark

I know it didnt work but Thats the diffrient betwen me and others, when i really need or want something i will and i have it, even if nothing works when i really want a thing i fix it very fast in somehow ;)

21. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Mele20, you have kinda funny phisolophy of program usage.
    BitDefender's spyware detection is probably better than the one in Spybot and similar apps. Riskware feature is there for ages and certanly part of BD9.
    Also why ditch BD9 in favor of some low end apps?

22. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

This new BD 9.5 has a bad bug. When I do a right click command line scan on a file I just downloaded, BD doesn't put the results up AUTOMATICALLY on my screen. It instead creates an icon in the taskbar and if I click on the icon really fast then the results will popup on my screen. If I don't click immediately on the new icon, the icon DISAPPEARS!! I don't know if it found a virus if this woud happen, but virus or not found, I want to see the results of the scan on my screen.

I wonder if I go back to 9.0 if I can keep it from auto upgrading to 9.5? I turned off all the antispyware stuff in 9.5. I don't want any of that. So, I'd be much happier with a non buggy 9.0if it wouldn't auto update. This is the first time I have ever seen BD not ask before upgrading any part of BD. This should never have been forced on users. If BD had asked if I wanted to upgrade, I would have said no until I could at least find out what was in the upgrade. Once I learned it was antispyware stuff, I would simply have not upgraded. That is how this should have been handled.

23. TradeMark

Mele20 there is no bug at all in ver 9.5
    and when i rightclick on a file it scans and it showed if it found some virus spywares or not.
    maybe you should uninstall it and install it again!
    and if you want a full disable of the antispyware on ver 9.5
    Virus shield - Scan - Shield - Scan Accessed files - Advanced - scan for spyware disable it!
    And also on Scan - Settings - Spyware scan option Disable scan memory scan registry and scan cookies in there, then all the antispyware protection should be disabled.

24. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Mele20, i think you should learn how programs work. Take your time, browse through menus, check the settings and look into help file if you don't know what they mean. You'll like programs more if you know every bit of their settings and tweaks.

25. TradeMark

RejZoR i dont think we need to exaggerate now!!:eek:
    I think Mele20 knows all this. But sometimes it happend with the program that the icon dissaphires or something else.
    Good Luck Mele20, by the way i send you a post mail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.