Bit Defender automatic renewal is unethical

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Chris Francis, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Chris Francis

Chris Francis Registered Member

Hi.
    I have been using Bit Defender for about 5 years without a problem. However, today they put through an automatic renewal, even though I have 247 days left on my current license. So, I called Avangate, who told me I needed to call BitDefender (who do NOT have a toll-free number). Then, when I talked to a rep at BitDefender, he said that getting a refund is a multi-step process and that the next step will be BitDefender sending me an email.

On June 7, 2013, I purchased a 2 year 3 PC license for BitDefender Total Security and paid $139.95 CAD. Then, on July 17, 2013 I paid $14.95 US. I think it was to extend my license for 3 PCs for another year.

This afternoon, I got a misleading email from Avangate Customer Service. (The email said I ordered the software, which I did not.) Here is the first paragraph from the email:

Dear Chris Francis,

Your online order placed on http://www.bitdefender.com on October 13, 2014 and processed by Avangate as the authorized vendor of Bitdefender products has been successfully completed (order number: 31643957). Please note that avangate*bitdefender.c will appear on your bank statement, instead of Bitdefender.

Bitdefender Total Security 2015 - ELECTRONIC DELIVERY DETAILS

Please find below the license registration/activation information for the product you have ordered, Bitdefender Total Security 2015 (up to 3 PCs , 1 year): ​

I'm planning to stop all usage of BitDefender and want others to be aware of their practices, so you can protect yourselves.
    Chris

2. SnowFlakes

SnowFlakes Registered Member

why don't you contact their Live-Chat Support ?
    There you can chat directly with the Bitdefender's support Online.

3. Chris Francis

Chris Francis Registered Member

I contacted Live-Chat Support. They said the same thing as the person on the phone. Someone will send me an email within 24-48 hours about the process to get reimbursed. It seems they want to make the process difficult to avoid giving reimbursements.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

USA - Back in a real State in time for a real Pres
    Hope you get sorted. Stuff like this is why I buy boxed retail copies without providing any payment information.

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

They renewed your license with so many days left?
    That is definitely a scam!

I'd understand if it was a couple days before expiration but this is unacceptable.

6. Rohugh

Rohugh Registered Member

Whilst the renewal sounds wrong and something that the OP should follow up on, many of the software vendors, and not just the AVs, will automatically check the auto-renewal option and will need it opting out of when a purchase is made. It is always necessary to carefully check each payment window when buying via digital transfer.

7. Impet

Impet Registered Member

Very nice Bitdefender. :argh:

8. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

It seems that their sales policy and customer support go hand-in-hand with the quality of programming of their software :thumbd: