Bit Defender auto update problems

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mele20, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I have BD Pro and I had it on auto update but I was getting this error in event viewer:
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7034
    Date: 1/8/2006
    Time: 10:18:43 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: MELE
    Description:
    The BitDefender Virus Shield service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 5 time(s).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I got this error repeatedly since I got BD Pro instead of BD free where I manually updated. I put BD on manual update and I don't get the error. What was causing it to stop 5 times? Trying to update and being unsuccessful?

After each error is this in event viewer:

Event Type: Information
    Event ID: 7035
    Time: 9:18:39 AM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Description:
    The BitDefender Scan Server service was successfully sent a stop control.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Then more events related to auto updating BD. So, it looks like the unexpected stopping of BD is related to inability to update and repeated tries?

Those above entries were in System. In Applications at the same time each time BD would unexpectedly quit and get the error and then would go ahead and update, I see 241 events in Applications! 241! These are over and over and over, over making the log extremely long for just one day. They all are the same event...241 times and all concern Bit Defender:

Event Source: HHCTRL
    Event ID: 1904
    Time: 2:59:22 PM
    User: N/A
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 1904 ) in Source ( HHCTRL ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: http://www.bitdefender.us/, http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=45840.

Is this normal if you use auto updating with Bit Defender?

2. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

No this ain't normal. I've checked my "Events" but not a single error like this. You might send these reports to BitDefender's Support where they can help you further.

Please keep us updated on the outcome.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Contact BD Support. I have found them prompt and they solve the problem.

As an aside, I recently bought a laptop for home use, and for travelling. Just on the chance that I could get BD for the second machine at some price break I asked the question. They replied that I would not have to buy a second license as long as the second computer was for home use. So now instead of using a free AV for the laptop I have a top drawer AV at no extra cost. That is good customer support.

I had considered changing to NOD or KAV, but BD suits me and my machine. I did try KAV on the laptop, but it would not update. I know that the support folks would have helped me, but I did not want to go to the trouble.

Jerry

4. TakeTheFifth

TakeTheFifth Registered Member

I have BD Standard 9 running on 2 XP Home and one XP Pro boxes. Seen this system event logged once on my XP Pro box, but preceeded by:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Event ID: 7035
    Date: 10/01/2006
    Time: 8:41:30 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: KIKI
    Description:
    The BitDefender Virus Shield service was successfully sent a stop control.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not seen anything in the application event log though. These happened with this update «Virus Signatures: 251057, EngineVersion: 7.05196». Other updates only trigger the usual start/stop service event logs.

Regards,

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.