Biniware Run

Discussion in 'Biniware Product Discussions' started by alexandrud, Dec 12, 2018.

1. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Updated, thanks Alexandru :thumb:

2. aldist

aldist Registered Member

@alexandrud
    Better a couple of detailed reviews or suggestions than 100 times to say thanks, right? :D
    I am sure you can implement it in the next version.
    I paraphrase. Add an option to open the drop-down menu by double clicking instead of a single click. This will really help the user and save you from erroneous clicks.
    2/, 3/, 5/ - added
    Maybe not bad icons, but you can add the option to install custom icons.
    7/
    Now these dialogues are useless, as only one item is saved, but not all. Or I did not understand everything. In addition, 95% of users and do not guess about the presence of hot keys, need to be implemented in the form of buttons.
    7-1/ Users rarely read and remember the description in the program installation dialog. How do I know about the presence of hot keys and their list? Nohow. Need a button in the context menu and in the settings window, that will open Hotkeys.txt or Help.txt.
    8/ We need a new option to save/load a custom configuration with a custom name. This will significantly increase the friendliness of the software.
    9/ Numbering
    ScreenShot_346.png

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  3. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

1. I will see what can be done about those separators. The desktop icon uses a context menu for shortcut representations, while the Configuration window uses a tree view. While in the context menu I might see the use of separators, in a tree view, this does not make any sense.
    2. Regarding double click vs single click, I could make this configurable.
    6. I am investigating the option to allow defining a custom icon. I want to keep things simple.
    7. If you have a node selected, only that node (with children) will be exported. Click anywhere in the tree view where is empty to have no selection. Export again and all root nodes (including all child nodes) will be saved.
    8. I don't think this is required. Create an empty node, select it, import a file and everything will appear under that node. Save/load operation is just an export/import with removing everything that already exists.
    9. I don't like this idea. For the tree view might be acceptable, but for the desktop context menu, I don't see where to put the numbers.

Thank you for your feedback.

4. oZone

oZone Registered Member

I wasn't using full path only cmd.exe.

Biniware Run v.1.2.0.0 looks good.

Here are some another suggestions:

Maybe you could add option "Hidden" to hide shortcut and in setting add option "Show hidden shortcut".

Would be great to have some indicator that shortcut require administrator privileges or has " Run as administrator" option enabled.

Also option to import (export) shortcut list/program settings (appearance) without affecting program settings/shortcut list.

Will you be adding context menu to shortcut?

5. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

- I will add support to be able to extract and display icons for files located in folders that are in environment variables. Currently you can define a shortcut for cmd.exe but the icon will remain '?' because it uses absolute paths when loading the icons. It needs the path to be "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe". It can execute "cmd.exe" but it can't extract the icon from this path.
    - I will think about hidden shortcuts. I don't see the use of such a feature. If you have old/unused shortcuts, export them to a file and keep a backup. Processing hidden shortcuts (they are anyway loaded from XML, but skipped when displayed) while not using them is just a waste of resources.
    - I will see if I can add that RunAs icon overlay that is used in Windows over the icon when the 'Run as administrator' check box is checked.
    - To save the settings and/or shortcuts, make a copy of brun.cfg which is located in the same folder as the executable brun.exe.
    - Yes, I have in plan to add right click context menu in the tree view once I have meaningful options for it. Currently, I did not find any action that would require such a context menu.

Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  6. aldist

aldist Registered Member

About hotkeys. In the main window there is a lot of space for buttons and for text, the description of the hot keys can be placed there.
    Not for desktop context menu, but only for tree in the main window.

7. paulderdash

:thumb: I second this.

I have websites, and folders and files mixed up at the moment, and would like to group them.

8. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

I don't see where, can you "produce" a screenshot ? Maybe if you press Alt key and show them.
    But you already can sort group them in different folders. With version 1.2.0.0 you can even re-arrange them manually in any order.

Would it be easier if the toolbox would have some buttons to move the shortcuts up/down ? What can be done now by pressing Shift+Arrow keys ?

9. aldist

aldist Registered Member

I wrote about it
    5.png
    Instead of the text name of the keys, you can use the graphic design.

10. paulderdash

Ha! Missed that, sorry.

No that's fine :), mission accomplished.

But @aldist's idea, and / or buttons, would be good to make these controls more apparent?

11. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Biniware Run v.1.3.0.0

Change log:

- New: Added configurable global keyboard shortcut Ctrl+` that will open the shortcuts context menu on mouse cursor location.
    - New: Added configurable global keyboard shortcut Ctrl+1 that will open the Configuration window.
    - New: Press and hold ALT key to display and configure keyboard shortcuts.
    - New: Added support for using environment variables in Path and StartIn properties.
    - New: For files located in the PATH environment variable, it is enough to use the file name for a shortcut. For example, the path can be just cmd.exe or notepad.exe
    - New: Added the UAC shield icon overlay for the shortcuts which have 'Run as administrator' checked.

Download location: https://biniware.com/download/BrunSetup.exe
    SHA1: 927f6e8cd31d909100e12c90c8d0c9d3b1aa7afb
    SHA256: 86945dc31368f8ad381a1db35bc6e9af3d5fb91c371b289b65d2d02834ca5c33

Looking forward to read your feedback.

Thank you,
    Alexandru

upload_2019-1-9_20-51-4.png

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  12. oZone

oZone Registered Member

thanks @alexandrud

I think it would be better to have separate tab for keyboard shorcuts instead of pressing alt.
    People are lazy and won't read instructions and because there is no information about keyboard shortcut in Biniware Run, they won't be aware of this feature, unless they accidentally press alt.

Also suggestion: rearranging item is now difficult; it is possible to implement something like this http://objectlistview.sourceforge.net/cs/samples.html#rearrangeable-treelistview.

13. aldist

aldist Registered Member

:thumbd: The competent decision for the programmer, but the bad decision for the psychologist. Even I will forget about the Alt key in a week.
    Implement it, and you can leave Alt as a free bonus:
    Otherwise, there is no clarity, the program is not for users, but for programmers.
    And

14. paulderdash

+1 :thumb:

15. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Thank you for your feedback. I had in mind that Alt key is used in any software to show accelerator keys. I will create a separate tab for them.
    I wish I had this functionality too, but the tree view control from WPF does not support this. Also, I don't want to include 3rd party dlls which will have a few MB and have to be distributed in the same folder. I want to keep BRun light and one single exe. My recommendation is to sort the nodes (A-Z press once, Z-A press again) and move with Shift+Arrows the important ones up or down. You can also use drag and drop to rearrange the nodes, but, yes, not to insert a node at a specific index.

16. aldist

aldist Registered Member

17. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Unfortunately, this is beyond my control. The context menu control from .NET Framework decides the location of the tooltip. But, my guess is that it has something to do with increased font size. The tool tip is always displayed correctly on my machine.

18. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Biniware Run v.1.4.0.0

Change log:

- New: Added support for importing HTML bookmarks which were exported from web browsers: Firefox, Chrome, Edge, etc.
    - New: Added support for manual reordering the tree view nodes by drag and drop. When the dragged node is dropped, it will be inserted at the position and level where the drop occurs. To drag a node under another node which has no child nodes, press SHIFT key to add it as a child node instead of a brother node.
    - New: Added right click context menu on tree view and tree view nodes.
    - New: Added "Reload icons" in the tree view context menu, which will download all missing icons for all shortcuts to web sites.
    - New: Added busy indicator in Configuration window to see when a background task is still processing.
    - New: Added configurable setting to open the desktop icon context menu on double click instead of single click.
    - New: Added option to auto close BRun after executing a shortcut.
    - New: Added the configuration of global hot keys in the Settings tab.
    - Fixed: Dropping a bookmarks folder from Firefox crashes the software.
    - Fixed: Importing shortcuts to web sites will not download the web sites icons.
    - Updated: The default global hot key to open the Configuration window is now 'Shift+`'.
    - Removed: Pressing ALT key will not display the keyboard shortcuts anymore. Use right click context menu on the tree view and tree view nodes to see the associated keyboard shortcuts.
    - Removed: Middle mouse click on the desktop icon opens the Configuration window.

SHA1: 0bed643d1a967d46d2d2775bb3bb5fa29479f235
    SHA256: 885be0318ea625f71883a2da715197af66ff260b63d16f881e358bcda9c1546d

Looking forward to read your feedback.

Thank you,
    Alexandru

upload_2019-1-15_15-9-28.png

19. Special

Special Registered Member

And the updates just keep on coming, they must not keep you busy enough over at MalwareBytes.

20. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

:) In corporate environments things are always much slower than personal projects. For Biniware I do not have to schedule meetings, discuss requirements, wait for approval, schedule releases, wait for implementation of automated tests, wait for other teams for integration, and the list can continue. If I want to do something, I do it... now. I did the same with WFC for years, while I also had a full time job.

21. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Biniware Run v.1.5.0.0

Change log:

- New: The software has now an offline user manual in .chm format.
    - New: Check for updates button was added in the About tab.
    - New: When executing a shortcut to a website, hold SHIFT key to choose the browser on which to open it.
    - Fixed: Delete confirmation dialog is displayed when pressing the Delete key, even if there is no node selected.

SHA1: 1694be9f29725d2bd396406ad9349a3db2527a87
    SHA256: 5aae0d4e6a80974b7560eeb0515e5b5cb17083d1d0970d6abcf016be2335f6db

Thank you,
    Alexandru

Please share your feedback, propose new features, report bugs. It's free :)

22. aldist

aldist Registered Member

While this is the best version. Many users block the use of .chm in the SRP, perhaps .pdf would be better.

23. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Good observation about chm. I will convert it to PDF format or even to an online documentation and make it available on the website. Online documentation is easier to maintain and always updated for everyone.

24. aldist

aldist Registered Member

Online - is a good option, with button "Save as pdf".

25. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Biniware Run v.1.6.0.0

Change log:

- New: Added 'Updates' tab which can be used to check and download new updates directly from the user interface.
    - New: Added multi language support. New translation files can be downloaded from the 'Updates' tab. A new language can be selected from the 'Settings' tab.
    - New: The software has now an online user manual located at https://biniware.com/brunmanual . PDF version of the user manual is also available for download.
    - Removed: The .chm user manual was discontinued.

SHA1: 67f5e9a395683c6c7cb840bd108ecff0b8af4512
    SHA256: 985defbb31c6699dd1a3e093dbe2f6756850747033dcc1bbc1d5246d94ce8b51

Thank you,
    Alexandru

Regarding the multi language support, to download a new translation file, use the new Updates tab. Translation files are plain text files which can be translated in any language (similar to WFC). First download the en-US.lng file as a reference. Make a copy of it and change the en-US part to a different language code (e.g.: de-DE). Open the file in any text editor, translate the strings and save the file. When opening the Settings tab, all .lng files will be loaded automatically.

If you have translated the software to a new language which is not yet available for download, or if you have an improved translation file, please send the file to support@biniware.com and I will upload it on the server. Thank you for your support.

Looking forward to your feedback.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.