Bing Desktop

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by stratoc, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stratoc

stratoc Guest

Just appeared on my windows update, sounds scarey and bloaty?
    Anyone use it?

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=29281

i think i am gonna have to pass on that one. ;)

3. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

Didn't search the web for it first eh?

From what I saw it's a program that can change your wallpaper to the wallpaper of the day, and put a big search bar in the middle of your desktop. It doesn't seem to be a big, or complex program.

I didn't confirm it, but I can only guess it will always launch IE, not the default browser, however there is a possibility it will launch the default browser. It tries to set bing as the default search for IE, and IE as the default browser at the same time.

Windows already has some themes which might have daily changes in wallpaper for Win 7, and if people want a new wallpaper every day it's easy enough to get one of these themes without the search bar. I don't remember what they are called, but not all of their themes might get a new wallpaper from the web on the regular basis.

On a side note, the normal wallpaper packs/themes for win 7 can be unpacked by software like 7Zip, and you can use the wallpapers included, sometimes all of the wallpapers in the theme might not be available for separate download. Win 8 has a nice dual monitor theme some might have missed, you just need to extract the wallpapers out of compressed file.

4. stratoc

stratoc Guest

funny enough! search bing desktop on bing and I couldn't find anything, I searched with google any found the above, I just wondered if anyone was using it, and what resources it needed.
    I think I will skip it also just reinstalled windows all programs are now back on except anything with @live and essentials and my three games that require games for windows live.
    I find all the pre mentioned software to be troublesome and rather bloated.

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Apparently it's only for Win 7. I'll remember to uncheck this when I get updated.

6. moontan

moontan Registered Member

it's not showing on Windows 7 Updates.

maybe stratoc already installed it somehow and Win Updates is just showing an available update for the thing?

7. Daveski17

I just got an update for it. Drat, drat & triple drat! I hid the update as well. I really hope I don't install it by accident! :mad:

8. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Bing desktop will add a search box smack in the middle of the desktop.1 click thing,just type in the search and it opens the browser to your search results.If you have Bing as your home page already then wallpaper images already change daily and as far as I see there is nothing different other the the search box and its not bloated.I uninstalled in a few seconds so no big deal.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  9. Daveski17

Cool. :cool:

10. guest

guest Guest

It's nice. I kept it.

11. i have this installed on My Laptop. It is small footprint and yes does change background daily Nice Eye Candy.

12. Daveski17

On IE I have Bing as the homepage anyway, what's the difference with the Bing Desktop?

13. guest

guest Guest

http://www.bing.com/community/site_...ings-beauty-and-convenience-to-windows-7.aspx

I also appreciate the fact that I can put the search box in the top of the screen and that it hides itself automatically.

14. Daveski17

I think I'll pass on the Bing Bar.

15. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

You may elect to hide the optional offering from Windows Update as it is now available. Those that are interested may download the package directly from Microsoft's Download Centre

As previously noted ...in part... there already are sufficient tweaks native to Win 7.

16. Securit

Securit Registered Member

No thanks, MS. I'm not interested in Bing or IE! :)

17. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I like the idea of getting pictures for the desktop, not bothered about the search box.

18. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

It seems like a way to increase exposure to and use of Bing. The description mentions that after install you will receive updates to it and other Microsoft products via Microsoft Update. So it also adds Microsoft Update to the Windows update process. Which isn't a bad thing I think, but I did notice that the setting for that is "Give me updates for Microsoft products and check for new optional Microsoft software when I update Windows". So perhaps it is also a means of exposing people to Microsoft software advertising? Edit: is it being advertised through Windows Update on machines that aren't also performing the Microsoft Update steps?

Did anyone who installed it encounter TOS or Privacy Policy fine print of interest?

19. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Hi,

Is it a local search engine like Google Desktop ?

Thanks.

20. guest

guest Guest

21. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I don't care for the idea that they are pushing this through Windows Update. I tried it for a few days but can't see using it long term. If I want to search I will be opening a browser anyway. And after a few days the pictures stopped matching the ones on the actual Bing site. It's slightly entertaining for a couple of days but that is about the extent of it.

22. guest

guest Guest

Bing Desktop only gets images from Bing US.

Localized versions of Bing.com may show different pics sometimes.

23. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

love the images but would never add anything like this to my desktop

24. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

25. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

That's what I thought but it stopped matching the last 2 days I had it. Was most of why I removed it. :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.