bigotry in electronic lingo.?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by bigc73542, Nov 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

http://www.eweek.com/

I personally think it would take a small mind to think that calling one drive a master and a second a slave drive Is in any way bigotry    

L.A. Official: Computer Labels Offensive
    By Associated Press
    November 28, 2003       

LOS ANGELES (AP)?A county official has asked computer and video equipment vendors to consider eliminating the terms "master" and "slave" from equipment because they may be considered offensive.
    "Based on the cultural diversity and sensitivity of Los Angeles County, this is not an acceptable identification label," according to an e-mail sent to vendors on Nov. 18. The memo asks manufacturers, suppliers and contractors to change or remove any labels on components "that could be interpreted as discriminatory or offensive in nature."

The county's 39 departments also were told to identify equipment with offensive labels.

"We got a note back from IBM saying thank you for bringing this to our attention and we'll take a look at this," said Joe Sandoval, who wrote the memo. Sandoval is division manager of purchasing and contract services for the county's Internal Services Department.

The term "master" and "slave"?when applied to electronic equipment?describes one device controlling another.

In May, a black employee of the Probation Department filed a discrimination complaint with the county Office of Affirmative Action Compliance after noticing the words on a videotape machine.

"This individual felt that it was offensive and inappropriate ... given the experiences that this country has gone through in respect to slavery," office director Dennis A. Tafoya said.

The issue was solved by putting tape over the labels and replacing "master" and "slave" with "primary" and "secondary," Tafoya said.

Although Tafoya said his office did not find discrimination in the case, he added, "I think we constantly need to be conscious of these issues."

Sandoval said the county is making a suggestion, not trying to dictate political correctness.

"Knowing that it's an industry standard, there's no way that I'm going to stop buying that equipment," he said :(

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Some people just have too much time to complain on their hands. :rolleyes:

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

:) hear hear ;)

Attached Files:

4. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

What exactly is 'The Office of Affirmative Action Compliance' anyway?

I know, let's take it all the way, after all it would appear this guy hasn't got enough work to do so while he's on a roll, how about, Banning Black or White wiring in case one or the other carries more power or is maybe thicker than the other, but then we couldn't have Orange or Green in case it offended the Irish, we couldn't have Blue in case it offended people suffering with Depression, no Grey either, we wouldn't want to offend the old people, no purple in case it upset those with a heart condition, no Yellow in consideration of our friends in the Far East, Reds out (Russians).....and so on.

Here in England we have a high ranking police officer who is Chairman of the Black Police Officers Federation, it is against the 'Law' to have a White Police Officers Federationo_Oo_O It is now also becoming NOT Politically Correct to show our National Flag in public in case it causes offence.

Cochise, in The Land of Hope and Glory. :cool:

5. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

"Stop Sex discrimination!
    Rename E-Mail to E-Person!"

Uguel :cool:

6. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

i honestly dont understand this races junk

you bleed you all die and thats all she wrote

to me its just an excuse to cop out of things or blame some one else

i admit there still some eignent mofos out there

but we the people are more of the majority

i think there should be one mass orgy so we all be one color lol

face it the war isnt algaints racial injustice anymore

its rage algaints the goverment thats the real war

i been poor all my life and had it hard i dont blame no race nore do i blame my self cause technicaly im consider a minority

only person i blame is me

i saw some one who was blind and manage to have a full time job and has a beatiful drop dead girlfrind and the guy aint what i call top siloin to land a girl that perty

yet he has so much so whats my excuse

where all hueman if that guy can do it so can i so the rest of the world need to stop wineing with excuses of injustices includeing myself

lol im just learning that

now the world needs to learn you are what you make yourself

regardless of creed race or gender were all skin bone and blood and hueman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.