Big Problem!!!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gate1975mlm, Jan 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gate1975mlm

gate1975mlm Registered Member

I have a huge problem.

I am using True Image 9 and I backed up my pc to an image. Its about 12GB. I went to do a system restore and it says the image is corruped! And I deleted the partition already. Is there any way to fix a corruped image? Please tell me there is. I feel so sick right now :(

I was dumb not to test the image before I restored. See before I made this new image I has removed the 2 true image thing running in the start up. Could that have caued the bad image. Is there any way to fix the image?

2. Rusty Mainframe

Rusty Mainframe Registered Member

I don't think there's a way to fix a corrupt file. What you can do is reinstall Windows, then TrueImage (same version as what you backed up with), and then plug in the image to try to restore your data.

I've been having problems with corrupt images which is fixed now, but I have learned to turn on automatic verification after the backup just to be sure. I got caught as you did, but luckily I had a file that I could restore with. Also, I found that I could plug in the image and still restore individual files and folders, so your data may not be lost, just Windows.

I also recommend to people to create two drives - C for Windows/programs, and a D for data. This way, restoring Windows doesn't affect your data.

Good luck!

Russ

3. gate1975mlm

gate1975mlm Registered Member

This is the first time I had any kind of problem with True Image 9. I think the reason the image was bad is because I took both the items in the start up from True Image out. The very first image that was was made after I did that was bad. Now I know That you need them running all the time.

I learned the hard way

4. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Do you mean in the Start Up folder? There really is no need to have any True Image items in your Start Up folder. Just use it like any other program. Run its executable as needed.

5. dld

dld Registered Member

You are probably referring to these two programs:
    TrueImageMonitor.exe -- Acronis True Image Monitor
    schedhlp.exe -- Acronis scheduling service helper

If I were you I would not remove these two programs in the future.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=453269&postcount=8

6. cerebus

cerebus Guest

I've taken these out of the start up list for quite some time and never had a problem as a result. In addition I changed schedul2.exe from automatic to manual. Firing up TI will start schedul2.exe. After I am done with TI I kill the process.

More and more software packages insist on running their programs right from the get go when it isn't necessary. All they do is suck up memory and resources.

7. sandokan

sandokan Registered Member

No they do not. Resource (as in CPU cycles) is nil, and memory, as in RAM, is also nil as whilst not in use those processes are in stand-by in virtual memory, not physical memory. Don't spread FUD please, as there is already enough of it in the w3.

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

As has been said many times before, when inactive, TI's background services use hardly any system resources at all.

Anyone really that concerned about their system resources would be far better off going through their Windows XP Services with a fine tooth comb. It's quite amazing how much Windows stuff is started by default that many users could do without. Black Viper used to maintain an excellent guide but sadly he seems to have disappeared. However, a "text only" archive of his web site is still available <here> (see Windows Services under Popular Content). In addition, the guide at <The Elder Geek> is a fairly good alternative.

Regards

9. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

Here's another link of all the various start up programs you may find under msconfig running on your computer, and what they are, and if you should disable them or not:
    Code:
    http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startup/list.html 
    ...Allen

10. Menorcaman

Hi Allen,

Thanks for the link. Although I was referring to superfluous Windows O/S services, Krick's list could prove a useful companion to Black Viper's Windows O/S specific listings.

Regards

11. Allen L.

I understand Menorcaman, that you are referring to the services, but as the OP mentioned in his start of this thread that he stopped two 'startup' programs, I thought this list might be helpful also.

The two programs he 'stopped' do show in msconfig or "System Configuration Utility" as Startup Items, the most important one to keep running is "schedhlp" as it's listed in msconfig, but the other Acronis item showing in msconfig, "True Image Monitor" can be disabled from starting and cause no problems, unless you have a schedule set to run in Acronis TI, and then you need it to run.

In "Services" the "Acronis Scheduler2 Service" must be left running, or an image cannot be manually started by the user and the program will appear to be 'broken' when trying to start the image creation. However by disabling the Startup Item "schedhlp" (which sounds like a help feature), you also stop the service "Scheduler2" in services from running. That is what causes all the problems. I don't see why Acronis would even put the "schedhlp" in the startup items under msconfig in the first place, as it must always be left running or the program will be 'crippled'. This item should only appear under "Services" and erased from entry in msconfig, and most of these problems would be avoided.

...Allen

12. Menorcaman

Hi again Allen,

Like you, I've been following the (sometimes heated!) debate over the three TI background services since 2004. As far as I'm concerned there is little mileage to be gained by stopping any or all of them, especially when one considers the plethora of other Windows service that are started automatically. Indeed, get it wrong and, as we have seen, one could end up with a disaster on one's hands.

As for your point about schedhlp.exe - this is used by TI to trigger scheduled images, either when a particular user logs in or when he logs off. I'm not sure but perhaps it's necessary to start it via the Registry "Run" command in order that such "user specific" activity can be monitored and acted upon? Perhaps someone more conversant with the detailed workings of Microsoft Windows than I am could confirm or refute this?

Regards

13. Allen L.

But Menorcaman, I agree with all you say, except your last point of "schedhlp.exe". It is used to trigger scheduled images, that is true, but that means any image created by the program, regardless of log in by what user, scheduled or not. If schedhlp.exe, which appears in the "Services" as Acronis Scheduler2 Service is stopped, no image started by anyone can be made as the program won't create any images, and that is my point. It's the same as taking a critical hidden dll file out of any program that depends upon that dll to carry out the commands of the program. The program is dead in the water! It won't do anything it was designed to accomplish...take that "service" away from Acronis True Image and all you have left is a very nice user interface that will take you to the last point in creating an image...then when you click "Proceed", it will not proceed anywhere. It is, like I said, disabled, due to the service being stopped. So following this logic, if the program is going to work, it needs the service to be in working order always, no matter who is logged in, as it is an integral necessary component of the program.

...Allen

14. Menorcaman

Allen, perhaps I've misunderstood this <Acronis Support explanation> but I thought it was schedul2.exe that was required to carry out any/all imaging operations?

Regards

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  15. Allen L.

You are correct, Menorcaman, that the "service" is schedul2.exe. The startup item listed in msconfig or "System Configuration Utility" is schedhlp.exe. I could have sworn than stopping the startup item schedhlp.exe shown as schedhlp in msconfig, *would* stop the service running as Acronis Scheduler2 Service, but I see that at least in v.8.0.937 it doesn't. Maybe I'm thinking back to version 7 or v.6 of Acronis and remembering from there that if it was disabled under startup, it would also stop the service. I can't recall now.

What is really confusing, if you go to "System Information", or Run>msinfo32 and go to Software Enviroment > Startup Programs (which list all the startup programs, just as msconfig, except more detail) > you see there listed "Acronis Scheduler2 Service" and it refers to schedhlp.exe, but if you go right up to "Services" (still in Software Enviroment in "Sys Info"), and you will see "Acronis Scheduler2 Service" again!, but this time it's referring to schedul2.exe! So in reality Acronis is saying that "Acronis Scheduler2 Service" could be either schedhlp.exe, or schedul2.exe...all depending on where you find it 'listed'?

Were the two programs, schedhlp.exe and schedul2.exe always placed under C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2 ? I never looked before today where the exe files were located, presuming at least one was in the Programs\Acronis\True Image folder. True Image Monitor.exe *is* located in the regular program folder, but shows running in msconfig.

Anyway, this *is* one confusing item to me, but I stand corrected and do agree that schedul2.exe is the file that *has* to run to execute any image creation by Acronis True Image. In reality, at least as to what I discovered today, both startup items could be stopped (schedhlp and True Image Monitor) and the "service" schedul2.exe would still run and the program could be self started to create an image. I personally don't believe that could be done with the earlier versions, but once again I could be wrong, as this issue is very confusing, both in concept and in naming conventions! Best as you say, Menorcaman, just leave all running, as they are not using *that* much resouce, and otherwise it is one confusing issue as to which to disable! o_O

Thanks for the correction, and I hope this post is not too confusing! :)

...Allen o_O

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.