bho's a problem with Opera?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Gnostic, Dec 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gnostic

Gnostic Registered Member

Just when I think I'm getting a handle on the dangers of the internet along comes another worry :mad:

I've followed the thread on bhocop and bhodemon and found it very interesting and worrisome. I read the description of bho's on the bhodemon site. My question is whether this affects the Opera browser or whether this is a non-browser specific plague? :doubt:

Regards,

Gnostic :cool:

2. Gnostic

Gnostic Registered Member

Hello all! Maybe I should restate my question. Are bho's IE specific or do they affect non-IE based browsers like Opera, K-Melion, Mozilla, etc.??

Regards,

Gnostic :cool:

3. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

By definition BHO's can be found in the registry under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects so this is IE specific.
    However, I don't know if other browsers offer a opportunity to incorporate software in a similar way.

Regards,

Pieter

4. Ghost

Ghost Guest

From BHODemon's 'readme' : "Advanced description of BHOs

This is a technical description of BHOs, and is targeted at software developers.

First, a BHO is a simply COM "in-process" server, stored in a DLL. The Internet Explorer (and, surprisingly, the Windows Explorer) looks in a specific place in the Registry when it starts up, and loads all the BHOs it finds there."

The info I made bold, above, would seem to indicate to me that if Windows Explorer itself looks for BHO's and loads them, that any Windows system would then be vulnerable or able to use them.

(I'm just guessing, though. Could someone intelligent enough to speak to the issue please address it?).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.