[beta3] GUI will not display

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Disciple, Dec 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

This beta appears to have solved the problem of blocking access to the other computer on my home LAN. Unfortunately though the GUI does not display. I can verify, via Process Explorer, that both DCSUserProt.exe and pgaccount.exe are loading. Examining the PG registry keys on both systems revealed something very interesting. On my desktop system that the beta is working on, there are 50 items in the PG key. while on the notebook only 5 items appear in the PG registry key. o_O FWIW - I have made sure there is nothing running during the last PG install, there have been several including manual removals, that would block the registry keys being written. I may try to delete the PG key on the notebook and import the one from my desktop, just to see what happens.

NOTE: I have sent DCS support an email outlining this problem, what I have found concerning the PG registry keys. I also included a Process Explorer file showing the PG/DCS files are loaded and running, as well as a zip file of both PG keys.

Anyone here have any ideas as to what would cause this, or how it can be corrected?

2. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi,

Run ProcessGuard from the desktop or start menu shortcut, what happens ?

3. Disciple

The HD is accessed, but other than that nothing. I have monitored the startup with Sysinternals Filemon and will try to attach the file, maybe that will be of some help.

Attached Files:

4. Disciple

Looking at my OP I forgot to include that the desktop system is running XP home SP2, while the notebook is running XP home SP1.

This brings up the question of whether the PG beta3 needs/requires SP2, or even .net for that matter.

5. Gavin - DiamondCS

It may be code which only works under XP SP2, just some additional version checks if so. If we can replicate then fix, no need for another beta :)

6. Disciple

Sounds good. Is this code also in Port Explorer? It will not run as well.

7. Gavin - DiamondCS

Thanks for info, coder looking into it :)

8. Disciple

I did install sp2 on the notebook, even though it does slow the old AMD processor a good bit, and both PG and PE are now loading. Which pretty much confirms for me that there is some code in the PG beta that prevents the GUI from displaying. While in PE 2.110 the code prevents it from loading, with no PE process showing in Process Explorer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.