Beta for Next Version of Microsoft Security Essentials Now Available

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ronjor, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

HitmanPro doesn't scan all files on drive. It finds nothing with their regular scan.
    I already said that only A-Squared found those files as REAL malwares (trojans, viruses, you name it..) , others called them heur.? and Suspicious , MSE didn't find anything. If someone knows what packed executable is , that's what it is found. To be more clear, I can pack windows calculator with packer and it will be labeled as virus.

2. xan K

xan K Registered Member

I have it installed in my netbook (Asus 1005HA) and I've been concerned about the same thing. I thought it was due to my netbook tiny-as$ processing power.

3. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

4. xan K

xan K Registered Member

That little antivirus is coming up in the world. :)

5. brainrb1

MSE (v 2.0.375.00) new ENGINE v 1.1.6103.0 out (changed from v 1.1.6004.0).

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  6. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

Anybody know when this is supposed to come out of beta?

7. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Yestreday I tested the engine released on 20th August. They now have a caching mechanism in place. For e.g. if you have a folder full of executables, and you open that folder then MSE will scan each item before its icon will be rendered by explorer. If you close the folder and open it again the scan will not occur and the icons will be rendered instantaneously. But, if you do a system reboot, and then open the same folder again, the scan occurs again on each item. Using the Beta with latest engine, I was able to confirm that now the files scanned by on-access will not be scanned again even after a reboot. This means they have a permanent cache in place.

8. brainrb1

MSE beta 2.0.375.0 new Engine version 1.1.6201.0 out. The beta is really nice, no problem with updates too.:)

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

yes after countless tests I still keep coming back to the beta. It is really a nice product. Oh well.

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

trojan prevex is wayyyyyyyyy betterrrrrrrr than microsoftttttttttttttt big timeeeeeeeeeee

11. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Have you smoked weeds? :D

What was all that about? ;)

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

well:D some coffee but i dont really know what was the white stuff they put in the coffee:cool:

13. m00nbl00d

Yeah, what the heck to they put in our coffees, uh?

Anyway, MSE is running great in my relatives' systems. Lets see if final version will be even better.

14. iravgupta

Changed just one setting in MSE Beta - Under realtime protection, changed 'scan outgoing and incoming files' to 'scan incoming files only' and like magic all performance issues I have been observing with MSE from the start are gone. Though I am well aware of the compromise on security I am making with this setting, I am ready to take my chances as I like this product very much. Also, my backup defenses should cover me well.

15. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

indeed a nice tweak :thumb:

16. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Lol, are you sure? The last three times I tested MSE, I stated it was my last but as you know, you and I have had the same issues. Should I test one last time?

17. iravgupta

Yes, you should definitely give it a try. Actually this settings seems to be working only after the latest engine refresh. But, I still occasionally get the red icon on boot up which turns green in a few secs. But this does not happen consistently.

18. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Bummer! I tried it and without a doubt, this was the worst version yet for me. I'm jinxed with MSE for some reason. The CPU was out of control continuously. Upon installation, a Win update appeared for some kind of HotFix which got me all excited thinking they had finally found something fixable related to this high CPU. Didn't happen. At one time, one of the five MSE related processes was using nearly 300 MB's. I thought the CPU would settle down after a couple three hours but it didn't happen. Due to CPU issues it got to the point where I was unable to navigate or do anything. I shut it down and rolled it back to my previous AV.

19. m00nbl00d

Only after having to check a Windows XP system yesterday, I came down to myself and realized something: There's no way of protecting MSE's settings when in an Administrator account. And, let's face it, most people running Windows XP run with this type of account, because it's a hard task to work with a LUA. I know that some people can't even connect to the Internet with USB devices, without being in an Administrator account.

And, while I know there are a few tools that allow make use of LUA easier, such as SuRun, but not everyone wants this hassle, unfortunately.
    So, I'm wondering why Microsoft hasn't decided to provide a password field for MSE.
    I wonder whether or not is also part of Microsoft's plans to force people to move into Windows 7... Which is a bad idea, because it leaves people less protected.

There are certain things that can help someone running Windows XP with an Administrator account, and protecting an antimalware settings is one of them, as well.

I'm also wondering why Microsoft never decided to implement a sort of UAC tool for Windows XP has an update. I'm sure it's not because of lack of knowledge to do it.

Don't you folks, sometimes, just feel like kicking them all?

20. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Off-topic but...

Makes no logical sense, Windows 7 is far more secure than XP, especially if your users are being forced to use admin accounts on XP.

21. m00nbl00d

I think you misunderstood me.

I didn't say Windows 7 is less secure than Windows XP. It is not, for all obvious reasons.

I said that I was wondering if Microsoft decided, on purpose, not to provide a way of protecting MSE's settings by setting a password, as a way to force Windows XP users to move towards Windows 7.
    Whether or not that was the case, the simply decision or lack of it, of not having an option to set a password, Windows XP user, who will not anytime soon, move towards Windows 7, won't have a way to secure their MSE settings. This is a bad security design, IMHO. Malware could uncheck some settings and pretty much every Joe/Jane would think everything is just fine.

That's wrong. I mean, this choice (whether or not a chosen "choice"), makes malware job a lot easier. It's insane.
    If Microsoft is providing MSE for Windows XP, then I'm sure they know that Windows XP lacks UAC alike feature, hence MSE won't be protected from tampering. Thereby, MSE should have a password setting, like many other have, example avast!.

I guess it's time to complain to Microsoft about it. Unfortunately, only yesterday it came to my attention. Oh... the conforts of UAC makes us forget what XP was. :D

22. brainrb1

Engine Version update on October 18 for version 1. and the beta Version 2 are the same this time. Usually they had a new Engine Version for the Beta ...Weird.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.