Beta for Next Version of Microsoft Security Essentials Now Available

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ronjor, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

i noticed that the update of the program option has been take out. maybe just for the beta or they have put in auto updates for MSE for the program it self. that would be great.

2. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

3. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Nice find. Questionable approach from MS.

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You say "questionable" as if you think it's bad? It's a great approach. If a system is not vulnerable and/or patched to/against a certain exploit then why load protection against that exploit?

5. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

My thought exactly. It doesn't use resources unless needed. I'd say "great job" instead of questionable.

6. iravgupta

I said questionable as in open to debate, not meant it in a negative sense. When compared with the mechanism used by avast! Network Shield, I find the approach taken by them to be superior. MS is loading signatures for known exploits, but avast! watches for malicious activity on certain ports, via behavioral analysis. It does not rely on signatures and is hence a more comprehensive approach IMO.

7. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

8. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Nope I have not seen anything on the MSE forums.

9. elapsed

"Windows Firewall Integration" is their fancy way of saying "Asks you to turn on Windows Firewall."

10. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

:D yes, i think you are right.

11. elapsed

Here:
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/msestart/thread/5247f0d9-ab55-474c-9ec2-76d4ba6eab29

http://social.answers.microsoft.com...t/thread/5ece5cc3-78f6-4c39-ba94-b7a001f921f9

12. iravgupta

Nice post funky, but when quoting me, if you would have been kind enough to notice that I was talking about the network shield and not web shield, it would have been much appreciated.

As far as their idea of web shield goes, well if they see fit that only people using IE need protection against rogues, malicious scripts etc. then not sure what they are smoking.

13. elapsed

Whoops! All these various shields get pretty confusing.

I don't think you understood the quotes :/

14. iravgupta

Actually I do, these guys are contradicting themselves here and sad to see you are going along -
    On one hand they say things like -
    And on the other -
    Now thats classic MS.

One more nugget -
    They conveniently forget to mention that only IE and FF use these API sets. Chrome definitely does not. Not sure about Opera and Safari.

15. elapsed

Yes it's sad that I actually understand what they're talking about :rolleyes: I see no contradiction, I guess that must just be dumb me!

You're clearly not reading this right. I don't know why you're taking this aggressive stance towards it, but anyway.

These are the typical "trap" scripts that try to trap you into staying at the website, e.g. the scripts that say they're scanning your PC, etc. So no, they aren't contradicting themselves. They are providing additional protection against these scripts, that in themselves, aren't actually lethal, short of socially engineering their way into making you download a file, which is where MSE's main protection on ALL browsers comes in.

?? They aren't MS employees, and how is it a classic? You're just making yourself sound like a typical MS basher.

That's Microsoft's fault..? The 2 most popular browsers in the world use it, I reckon that's pretty effective protection. The rest should follow.

16. iravgupta

While they do admit that browser hijack issues are very real, and they take pains to develop an add-on for that sort of attacks, yet when confronted with lack of same protection for other browsers they say that it's not that important, its just an enhancement for IE. Does that even sound right? What should be concluded from this -
    1. Only IE is vulnerable to such attacks, OR
    2. We don't care if you use other browsers and your browser is hijacked via malicious scripts.
    Really? Wonder why MS has this to say about these scripts -
    "My own concern has always been that MSE didn't seem to be able to effectively protect against new versions of the fake (rogue) antimalware products and some others that used script exploits to attack and attempt to hijack the browser. With the addition of this new script add-on, it should be more effective at blocking these attacks, which is what is really important."
    I don't know how difficult it is for this simple fact to sink in - they improved their protection, in whatever way, but did so for only one browser. Period.
    Other browsers not using the proper API sets is not Microsoft's fault. The fault lies in not being open about this fact. Why is this crucial nugget available to only people visiting their forum(its not even a sticky)? or a place like Wilders? Just mentioning it in "System Requirements" isn't helping anybody.

17. elapsed

This is pretty much what I explained with my quote:

I also don't see it mentioned ANYWHERE that IE will be the only supported browser. The beta was basically just released, and you're jumping to conclusions.

18. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Could any one running x86 version check if both ASLR and DEP are supported by this beta version, using Process Explorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx).

Once you open Process Explorer, go to View - Select Columns and place a check mark on DEP and ASLR, and then check these processes to see if both have DEP and ASLR enabled:

MsMpEng.exe - ASLR
    NisSrv.exe - ASLR
    msseces.exe - DEP and ASLR

That's what I got.

Edit: I wasn't running Process Explorer with administrative rights, hence the incorrect display.
    MSE v2 supports both DEP and ASLR on x86.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  19. icr

icr Registered Member

Hello members,

Does MSE has Heuristics or Behavior blocking components:doubt:

20. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

It has heuristics

21. elapsed

It uses both, it's been described many-a-times around the internet.

22. icr

icr Registered Member

@ elapsed and Matthijs5nl

Thanks for conforming actually I am using this software for the very first time:)

23. iravgupta

They do have heuristics, but have concocted their own version of what behavior blocking means.

24. xan K

xan K Registered Member

Is the x64 version of this beta good for gaming in Windows 7? I mean no slowdowns and/or loss of performance while gaming?
    thanks.

25. iravgupta

MSE works best when you have a fast hard drive. Although, among freebies its the most poor performer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.