Beta: Firefox 4b7 now available

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by prius04, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

2. guest

guest Guest

@The_ChamP

Thank you but I did this (trying to get status-bar looking like 3.6.12 again) already yesterday and had btw to fight the same hassle you had to. ;) - After maybe 10 min. I had this thing solved (*WHY* do they change such things in the first place when they were perfectly fine?? o_O) but you know .. as I am a wilders forum user :D and therefore by definition sort of paranoid :D I am most certainly not running a browser without active av security (webguard, SOL etc.), all other things aside. Avira and Prevx unfortunately let me down so far during this v4 beta cycle so that I won't use even this new ff beta on my main system just now.

But please don't let me stop you people, no .. please report all bugs and annoyances you find: to mozilla and those mentioned very lazy av corporations if you like. :cool:

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I really like it. Except for the lack of a status bar. I don't know if they are trying to dumb it down or speed it up. It should be optional, without using an extension, like it always has been. :mad:

4. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Removing the status bar seems like a stupid idea to me. I can't imagine why they would want to do such a thing. So now users will have to run another extension to get the same functionality they had already??

5. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

They do it to minimize the UI like how Google did with Chrome, anyone who really needs the status bar can install that add-on. The add-on bar can be tweaked via userChrome.css and add-ons to match ones need. The thing that really annoys me is showing target links on nav bar, but fortunately there is an add-on for that too.

6. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

It does with me...It's not zero...maybe a bug or something...using Win7 x86. Yeah..sometimes the help at the forums there is so..so..

Attached Files:

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I hope they seriously reconsider removing the status bar in the release version. A lot of my add-ons require it.

8. Nanobot

Nanobot Registered Member

Not exactly soon

9. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

I tried the beta and uninstalled it, because to me, 3.6.12 seems faster! which
    is odd I know.

Also, does anyone know why there are so many beta revisions? Beta 7?
    and they are behind schedule.

10. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Attention Mozilla: If I wanted a browser with a UI like Chrome I would just install Chrome. :thumbd:

11. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

There are gonna be total of 10 betas
    3 betas remaining now and den a release candidate
    removing status bar is a stupid idea no doubt but sadly dey are following in google's step...why oh why ?!?!

12. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

13. ShaneR34

ShaneR34 Registered Member

I used b6 for a little while then took it off my system. Tried b7 for a few hours and then closed it down and went back to chrome.

I'm not sure what they're doing, but in many ways v4 is a step back for me.

It's taking longer to load then anything else on my system (about 20 seconds) and the browsing speed is slower than 3.6 and any other browser out there. The overall experience, from browsing to using the UI, is pretty sluggish. That's just my experience, though, and another example of why these "speed" tests are useless.

I was thinking I may go back to Firefox with v4, but at this point I have my doubts. I'll see what the final brings.

14. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

v4 startup is very slow even for me..after starting up its definately faster than 3.6.12 but yes the sluggishness is definately dere
    m bak to 3.6.12

15. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

Just trying it and I seem to notice a 20-30% in speed as compared to FF 3.6.12. Add-ons are very limited only WOT/NoScript on my list. Still cannot make to use FDM or Jdownloader on it. Will not launch literally.

16. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

LOL! :thumb:

Anyway, if you put the tabs on the bottom & hide the menu bar the GUI is actually smaller than if you have the tabs on top Chrome-style. o_O

17. tlu

tlu Guest

I suggest that you install the Add-on Compatibility Reporter. It disables compatibility checking, so can selectively enable/disable your extensions. You'll find that many of them work although they are still officially incompatible.

18. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

19. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

20. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Anyone good at tweaking the UI?

I have a question re. FF 4 beta 8.

When I hover on a link, the link URL is displayed in the address bar. I want to change the color of the text. Right now, it seems to be light gray. So anyone know where this setting is?

22. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

vasa1, according to this Post on the Firefox Support Forum, the UserChrome.css can be edited to change the address bar display for URL hover.

Look at the 2nd post (from this one) for further tweaking. Haven't tried it yet.

23. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Merry Christmas, JR, to you and yours!

Thanks! I looked over there and this is what I now have in userChrome.css (work in progress):
    #urlbar { font-size:16px !important; font-weight:bold !important; color:black !important; }
    .urlbar-over-link-host-label, .urlbar-over-link-path-label { color: red !important; }

Works for me just fine :thumb:

24. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

vasa1, Merry Christmas to you and yours as well. You're welcome! Glad to be of help. Take care.

25. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.