beta census

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v4 Beta Forum' started by SBMongoos, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBMongoos

SBMongoos Registered Member

How is the beta working out for users? I was suprised at how much spyware/adware I had even after beta 4 was installed and udpated after a fresh Windows XP Pro install (I had gone to a couple of forums for new PC build support and got hit with popups but ESS was installe previous). Or is this not a function of ESS?

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi!Your post is too general with no proof of what you are saying.

Of course , general questions following general post are:
    - Why do you think "how much spyware/adware I had even after beta 4 was installed" ? What prooves it ?
    - What are these forums you mentions ? Addresses , links ?
    - What pop-ups exactly ? They look like and come from ? Pop-ups themselves are harmless , by the way.

NOD32/ESS are not pop-up blockers , they are not supposed to block pop-up windows , your browser is .

3. SBMongoos

I know.

4. GaryRW

GaryRW Registered Member

After abandoning ESS v3 for Comodo and Online Armor because of the poor firewall and the frequent crashes on my Win2K drone specific to the firewall (NOD32 worked fine), I was pleasantly surprised to find that disappear with ESS v4 Beta. I had no crashes on my WinXP's. I noticed that Comodo's new version didn't support Win2K as their older version did so I figured there must be enough differences that perhaps ESS v3 wasn't fully qualified on Win2K. Regardless, ESS v4b runs without crashes on my Win2K. I haven't put it on my WinXP's yet.

It would be nice to have more granularity with the IDS log; specifically the specific rule that triggered it.

I get a "Detected DNS cache poisoning attack" block from incoming OpenDNS 208.67.220/222.220/222:53 UDP's. No, this is NOT a local router issue since I don't use one. I don't get these with other firewalls. I can fix this with a rule.

I discovered IPNetInfo from Nirsoft.net after installing WSCC-Windows System Control Center. It conveniently parses all IP addresses from ESS's log entry and displays whois-type info for each. It would be nice if this capability was a right-click within ESS.

I don't use Email filter because I use Gmail so I have no feedback for it.

ESS uses whitelist/blacklist which is the best and effective antispam technique for the enduser. Adding an auto-challenge to this would improve this, though eventually the spammers will curcumvent that with an autorespond. I don't use antispam because I use Gmail and OpenDNS which filters great. I used Earthlink POP at one time and it had great filtering. Personally, I feel that Bayesian spam filtering at the enduser point is futile and a waste of time, effort, and attention. Bayesian spam filtering works much better upstream at the ISP and/or higher level where there is sufficient volume to process, allowing the algorithms to work better. And ISP's have incentives to filter spam and reduce bandwidth so they actively pursue better methods.

5. qzex

qzex Registered Member

Census? You're not exactly counting population here.

6. SBMongoos

Is that what you think is happening?

Hey...anyone know how to correct the date for the "Last successful update". Had to pull the CMOS battery on the PC and ESS v4 beta shows 1/1/2008 even though it has virus db of 3820 - 20090203.

7. qzex

qzex Registered Member

Um, the topic of the thread...

8. norky

norky Registered Member

Haven't had any problems really, other than it didn't want to update at first, but that got fixed. Wish it had an automatic silent mode that I've posted about before. I like it and will use it full time when it's released.

FYI: I think the word you wanted to use was consensus.

9. SBMongoos

You're right. I was tired when I posted the message. o_O

10. norky

norky Registered Member

Don't feel bad, i've made typos that were 10x worse :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.