[beta 3.3] Forgetting/ignoring Permissions.

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Disciple, Feb 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

Since others are having this problem I though it time to start a separate thread about this. See https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=678444&postcount=1.

On my desktop system PG started giving alerts for programs that I run maybe once a week; AD-Aware, Spybot S&D, and a few others. PG would constantly block WinPatrol from reading PG itself. I was constantly re-verifying that WinPatrol was in the Protection list and that it had said permission, which is the default set of permissions. However there came a time when it started asking run permission for things I run daily. It became so annoying that I have uninstalled PG, unfortunately life has gotten in the way of re-installing it.

2. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I believe there's an internal problem causing this which is being corrected. You may want to wait for the next beta if there is one, maybe go back to an older version due to this problem.

3. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

Gavin, thanks for the info. Looking forward to a corrected release.

Take care.

4. Gavin - DiamondCS

Unable to reproduce it over and over, it seems to be a timing issue which may now be fixed. We'll try to reproduce it again internally first and on a more regular basis :)

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I have 3.15 on my older computer. I have been switching back and forth from the new exchange computer to the older one moving stuff as the older one has to go back to Dell. I have been shutting down the older one a lot in this process so that I could attach the mouse, keyboard, monitor to the new one. Ordinarily, I never shut down a computer unless going on vacation. What I have noticed on my older computer with it being shut down for a bit, then started up, then shut down again, etc. is that PG has been driving me nuts. It has forgotten all the applications I have granted privileges to. It challenges me on everything! It started forgetting just the ones I use infrequently and that was about a week ago when I got the new computer and started switching between them and shutting down frequently. Then it got worse and PG began to forget privileges for things like my antivirus, the Proxomitron, IE, Fx, etc. I finally got so irritated with it last night that I disabled it and plan to leave it that way. I'll be wiping the drive soon anyhow as I finally have most of what I need off that computer and on the new one.

I haven't put any version of PG on the new computer yet which is good, I suppose, because it would be doing the same thing I suspect because I have been shutting that one down many times a day also.

6. Gavin - DiamondCS

Thanks, the programmer just informed me that we have fixed a bug that existed in the old codebase as far back as 3.150 and earlier. This could be triggered when you click REMOVE APPLICATION, and we are checking for other possibilities of similar problems. Its a difficult thing to reproduce too, but we think we are on the way to totally eliminating it :)

7. Gavin - DiamondCS

DEFINITELY the remove button. Just reproduced it again under XP Pro.

If you remove anything, I suggest EXIT PG, wait a few seconds, then restart it. When it re-attaches, the settings will be received again and could be wrong. Correct them manually (re-enable everything!) and to test, exit again.

They should be back on and STAY ON. Unsure which versions this affects as yet !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.