best xfce distro

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

i tried debian 6 xfce very light but no software installed gui by default :oops: very less software by default not user friendly for newbies

xfce xubuntu 10.10: bad give lot of problems very unstable

fedora 13 xfce : ok not that bad but not that good as well

linux mint 8 xfce : much better than xubuntu 10.10 pretty stable but too much junkes software's

pclinuxos 2010.12 xfce : best in all xfce so far the only distro which make use of right click as well very polish stable very nice default wallpapers out-of-box flash, vlc, compiz, emerald theme, bleachbit, shuter, very good tool shred-gui for file shred very nice control center ....etc

pclinuxos can be copy and run from ram response pretty good

best multimedia experience so far youtube in installed chrome run like butter :D

i keep checking for more so far very best experience on xfce live environment

going to install tomorrow and give more details

i suggest its worth checking

the only thing i miss is docky and open office not work in live session i guss it install from net after installation

it would be kind if Mrkvonic review pclinuxos xfce in details

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I liked and used Zenwalk for quite some time. It's pretty nice overall. You might try that one also.

http://www.zenwalk.org/

3. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

4. mack_guy911

i going to try zenwalk and vector linux soon but so far xfce of pclinuxos looks very polished and out of box experience

tweak debian may be good debian old distro i agree Beavenburt

but out of box and installed debian got nothing but little fast and less on resources but no eye candy stuff and not usefull for linux newbies

pclinuxos look far more polish xfce to me you can install it one some computer who dont know anything about linux :D (ie easy to learn basic and very user friendly as compare to other xfce)

but agree at end its user choice

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Can I say none? My experience shows that apart from Gnome and KDE, it's almost impossible to tackle all aspects of modern desktop usage by other environments without breaking something or having bugs creep in.
    Mrk

6. Beavenburt

Such as? I find the opposite to be true. I am yet to find anything I can't do in xfce that I can in KDE or Gnome. I have also yet to experience breakage through use of xfce and I find it the most bug free and stable DE of the lot. Certainly more so than the constantly changing, bug fest that is KDE4.

7. Mrkvonic

Give you one example: Samba sharing.
    Mrk

8. Beavenburt

I admit you've got me there, but then I don't use samba therefore it's not an issue for me.

9. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I hear that XFCE 4.8 might support that in thunar (their file manager). For now autofs might offer a workaround.
    Pick one of these: Light and fewer features or resource hog and feature rich.

10. Mrkvonic

It's not mutually exclusive. You can use anything you like. My opinion is just that.
    However, given the fact I've seen Gnome run with as little as 100MB RAM, which would be Debian, I wouldn't fuss much about with alternatives.
    Mrk

11. mack_guy911

i dont use Samba sharing my self but its given in xfce of pclinuxos as well

also there gigolo which act as samba sharing i guss also there is samba is pclinux xfce

but then again

i still stick to my point it worth checking guys :D

i didnt use debian gnome so cannot comment but fedora and Scientific linux gnome is little on resources i agree with mrk but problem with them is when you tweak to full they become pretty heavy as compare to xfce also not as fast as xfce i tried debian xfce its pretty fast and good but not user friendly reminds me of fedora where you need to put some time and effort :D

LXDE is also good but bad icons font and feel like no complete desktop for regular use on old machines with 512 or bellow ram xfce rocks

yes thunar is also there in xfce 4.6.2

i am able to connect to my ntfs drives via double clicking on gigolo and giving them path i also think it connect to network drives as well i dont have any to try

also like to add to use awn docky in xfce environment you need to install xcompmgr

and make a script

xfce setting manager>session and startup>application auto start

add applaction and in it add comand

xcompmgr

it will run your xcompmgr auto on startup and make your docky and awn rocks :D

i still stick to my point it worth checking guys :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  12. katio

katio Guest

Came here to say exactly this. But for very different reasons I guess.

xfce is a DE, currently there are only 3 DEs for *NIX if I'm not mistaken. I hate all of them, but xfce is probably the worst. To make it short, it's a combination of all the disadvantages of DEs *and* WMs and none of their benefits. Some of the individual tools are nice and I use them on my openbox desktops.

I also disagree with your samba example, editing the self-documented smb.conf is simple, works all the time and it's faster. You write your config once and then just cp it into the system, adjust the paths and you are done. No GUI tool I know can beat that (unless you are cheating and count gksudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf :p). Or where you talking about the client side? Then similar goes for fstab.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.