Best way to make Media Player Classic use hardware acceleration

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by berryracer, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Sorry for the n00b questions guys but please do read and help me

I like MPC-HC so please don't recommend VLC, GOM, or any other player

1) What is the difference between a renderer and a decoder, when I asked on the Shark007 forums about which is better LAV or madVR, he told me madVR is a renderer and LAV is a decoder and he refused to answer when I asked about the difference. He was like, I am not here to educate you! pure jerk!

2) What is the best way for me to make use of my nVIDIA GT 525M GPU to video playback? What codec, rendered, or whatever shall I install?

3) In many of the guides I have read, they always tell you to install the 32-bit version of MPC-HC because stuff like the LAV filters or madVR is not compatible with the 64 bit version. Does that leave GPU enabled video playback on 64 bit version of MPC-HC out of the question?

4) which codec pack is the best? Shark007 Win7Codecs, or CCCP, or K-Lite Mega Codec Pack? Again, with GPU Acceleration in mind

5) How come the latest version of MPC-HC on their official page is 1.6.0.4014 while on THIS page ( xhmikosr.1f0.de/index.php?folder=bXBjLWhj ) which is updated almost every other day, they have reached to version 1.6.1.4209 ?? I don't like the idea of running an ancient version of MPC-HC from the original source but I am not too sure about the 2nd page I posted... where on earth do those people get those updates to MPC anyway? Would you run the updated ones from the page I have given you or would you stick to the ancient official?

Mind you, I have KIS 2012 and MBAM Pro running and the files are clean.... dunno how else to check if their legitimate or not

Thank you for reading, please guide me

2. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

1) The decoder decodes (duh) the source material and passes it down in a decoded state to the renderer which renders (duh x2) the material. madVR is a high-quality renderer, and one of the best at that.

2) Why would you want hardware acc in the first place? Your CPU is more that capable of handling 1080P and 4k resolutions. You have the choice of DXVA and CUDA hardware acc. DXVA works on all (modern) GPUs, CUDA works on GeForce cards which have CUDA (your does). I personally use LAV CUVID/LAV Video (it's bundled with K-lite) for CUDA. Have in mind that there aren't hardware decoders that support Hi10P/10bit h264 profiles ATM.

3)Better use 32 bit. AFAIK the ones I mentioned aren't 64bit.

4) Personal preference. I use K-lite.

5) MPC-HC is constantly updated. The one on the official page is from a release branch, the others are from development branch. Release branches are usually more stable.

3. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I have used K-Lite Standard codec pack 32 bit with the bundled MPC-HC for years. Now on 8.6.0 and 1.61.4170. I download updates when they appear in fileforum.betanews.com. No problems with hardware acceleration, I use DXVA.

4. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

thank you very much for the detailed response d00d! You rock! cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.