Best way to ensure deletion?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by JRCATES, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Hey everyone,

I'm wondering what the most thorough and best way to completely delete and remove a program that is no longer wanted is.

I've heard that several "remnants" can remain after "uninstalling" a software program, and when using anti-virus and trojan scanners you can see the scanning of files for programs that you thought were deleted.

For instance, I uninstalled Spybot Search and Destroy using Windows "Add/Remove Programs", but when scanning tonight, I noticed that my anti-trojan app was scanning Spybot Search and Destroy through C:\MASTER\...

I used regedit to see if there were any referrences to Spybot in both HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, didn't see any. Obviously, though, some remain....and when I selected Search through the Start menu, and typed in C:\MASTER\, I see Spybot S&D listed among the apps (as well as others I had "uninstalled"), but I wasn't sure if it was safe to delete it. Besides, I wasn't sure if there were any more remaining entries for S&D somewhere else either that I would want to delete as well.

So my question is, what is the absolute best way to manually see if all referrences to a software program are truly deleted and gone from my system?

2. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Not sure I can help you as have never bothered too much with this area, but can make some suggestions.

There are many 'uninstall' utilities available at software download sites, you could find their names there, and then look for reviews on them. I've heard they do work better, but can't say for sure myself.

Personally, all I've ever done is use the windows uninstall utility, then manually delete any remaining files in explorer (if there are any), and then run regseeker, which cleans up any remaining registry files.

3. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

For me the best one to clean up crap after an uninstall is called "Total Uninstaller". It`s the best one that I`ve used yet.

4. JRCATES

Thanks, vikorr and BJ69, I appreciate the replies. I guess this must be more complicated than I figured it would be.

I found a freeware product called "Total Uninstall", is this what you're referring to, beetlejuice?

5. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Yes, it is, JRCATES. Version 2 is freeware, version 3 is payware. It's very handy is you have an uninstall (that has been installed with TU!!) that goes wrong, then you always have TU to save you.

I've found the best way to uninstall, is to use add/remove programs first, then do a reboot (even if not promted) and then run TU. Never had something go wrong this way. :)

6. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Can i ask what is the best program if you didnt install the program using total uninstall?

I just do a scan with Regseeker and Ccleaner and always hope that is enough (it usually isnt though).

7. JRCATES

Thanks Don, I appreciate the reply (as always). I have bookmarked the Total Uninstall download page for future consideration.

I hear what you are saying, Anthony, in the sense that IF....I didn't install a software uninstaller to use, what the best way would be to manually check to see if all of the contents pertaining to a particular software app have been removed. I'm guessing that it probably isn't an easy thing to do, but if anyone knows of some helpful methods to try specific manual removals, I'd certainly like to hear about those as well.

Also, if you decide that you are not interested in a software product while it is still in the "trial version" and want to uninstall it, is it best to do so during the trial period, afterwards, or does it really matter?

8. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Yup that`s the puppy just as Don was good enough to point out. :)

9. JRCATES

Hey Don, I saw in another thread where you posted something about a utility called "Pocket KillBox" that is supposed to delete stubborn files that just won't go away after uninstalling. What can you tell me about that product, like how easy it is to use, how effective, how it works, etc.?

10. JRCATES

Still hoping that somebody might have a suggestion or answer regarding this.

And Don....what can you share with me about the "Pocket KillBox"?

edit: I figured out why the C:\MASTER\ file was being scanned by my anti-spyware app. It seems that the folder was created by a local PC service center that worked on my computer when I took it in several months ago. I actually like the folder that they created (because it has ALL of my major programs listed as well as other important apps with easy access shortcuts), but that is NOT something that comes standard with Windows.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.