Best Way to Clone HD Using Paragon Drive Copy 12 Pro

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by jledbetternv, Oct 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jledbetternv

jledbetternv Registered Member

First time posting here.

I have a laptop with a 1TB internal hard drive that has some bad sectors on it. I'd like to clone the drive using Paragon Drive Copy 12 Professional to a new 1TB internal hard drive with similar specs that I've purchased. My laptop only has one HD slot in it. I have an unused 2TB external HD that I can use to act as the temporary home for my backup, and I also can boot to my CD drive.

My question is: What is the best way to clone my drive using the software: operating system, partitions, programs, and all? There appear to be a couple ways of doing it, but I want to be sure I do it right the first time, lest something happens to my drive in the meantime.

Thanks in advance.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't use Drive Copy but I'd use the Backup and Recovery Sector backup listed in the Drive Copy Features. This way you don't have to overwrite your entire backup drive with a clone of the laptop's disk.

If you are getting bad sectors regularly then I'd do this sooner than later. For extra safety you could make an image of the existing drive as it is but it may not read all the sectors. This image is for safety in case the disk goes wrong in the following steps.

Run chkdsk X: /r on each partition on your original disk which should correct all sector errors. Replace the X in the command with the drive letter of the partition being checked.

After chkdsk has fixed up the bad sector issues make an image of the corrected hard disk.

Remove the old and put in the new HD and restore the corrected disk image. If the procedure fails for any reason you still have the old HD to take corrective action.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.