Best Settings for fast Back Up and FAST RECOVER

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by xeikon, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xeikon

xeikon Registered Member

Hello:

Question: If I am using "Paragon Hard Disk Manager 11 Server" what would be the best settings for the fastest partition Back up and what would be the best settings to make the fastest partition recovery. All this not taking in consideration the final size of the back up.

I am connecting the 2 HD, the one that has the Backup Data and the one that has the partition where I want to recover the data from the back up, inside the same machine connected to two different SATA ports. This machine is a i7 920 Intel processor with 6 GB RAM with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bits.

The Hard Disk that has the Backup data is a 2 TB Hitachi HD with 64 MB Cache and the other disk (where the back up data will go) is a laptop HD.

I have start the recover process to recover the data to the laptop HD, the backup is a 52 GB compressed back up to restore the whole C: partition which is a 95 GB partition.

The recover process is taking 12 hours now and is in 64 % yet !!!!!! ok, it is moving, but too slow !!! I don´t know what I have got wrong but this is completely slow. How can I make the process faster o_O?

Thank you.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't use the server version of Paragon and I assume you are making an image.

If the laptop drive is a 5400 RPM drive then a 7200 RPM drive may help.

You mention a 52GB archive storing the whole 95 GB partition. Did you do a regular image or did you do a Raw image which backs up all the sectors in the partition whether used or not? You only need to back up the in-use version.

It may be the recovery environment hasn't got the best drivers for your system. If not and the recovery is based on WinPE you can load drivers after you boot it up.

A 52GB restore should take very roughly about an hour. My best guess is that the problem lies in the software not the hardware. There is nothing in your hardware that should cause such a slow recovery. However if nothing helps running a disk diagnostic would be in order. You might also run chkdsk on the partition you are backing up to make sure it is in good order. Small problems normally are not an issue but every now and then there is a problem that causes excessive looping etc.

3. xeikon

xeikon Registered Member

Hello:

Thanks for your help.

What I Made was a Backup... I suppose. The final backup has one .pfm file, one .PBF file and 13 files that go from .001 to .00d.

I think I made not a RAW image. I think it would have been a Regular one.

I am running the Paragon Hard Disk Manager from Windows 7 64 Bits, not from the Windows PE Recovery Disk. All antivirus OFF and mostly all software off too.

Before this recover process, I tried the recover process on the laptop itself with a USB external HD and using the Windows PE Paragon Hard Disk Manager, but it was taking a lot more time. It took 8 hours just to get to 15 % until I stopped. I supposed that connecting the two SATA HD directly together inside one faster machine will get me better restore times which obviously happened, but anyway 16 or 20 hours for a restore is way too much time.

The Recover process is now at 80 % since yesterday 8:00 pm. So it now has 16 hours on the run.

Thanks !

4. seekforever

How long does it take to create the archive running Paragon from within Windows. Normally, if all is well the times are similar. If the creation is vastly different then there is a problem with the recovery software on your machine - possibly a driver issue. Since you didn't mention abnormally long creation time I imagine they are quite different times.

5. xeikon

xeikon Registered Member

I don´t have the exact time for the creation of the backup. I think it was not that long. I think it took 2 hours. I did it with the Paragon Windows PE Recovery CD on the Laptop itself to a USB HD.

Then for the recover, I moved the backup from the USB HD to the 2TB HD inside the Desktop PC. Then I connected the Laptop HD to the Destop PC (to a SATA port) and started the recover process with the Paragon HD Manager 11 Server from within Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bits. I did this because as I already told you, I tried to do the recover process before but with the laptop itself from the USB HD, but it took a lot way more time.

Quoting: "there is a problem with the recovery software on your machine - possibly a driver issue."

What kind of driver problem this can be o_O A driver for the Software o_O

Thanks

6. seekforever

That's strange since you made the archive with the WinPE recovery environment I would have considered it to be good evidence the recovery should work fine on the laptop since it is using the same hardware/software(almost) to do the restore.

The drivers are the ones that handle storage devices and are included as the "motherboard drivers" with the CD that comes with the machines. Another case is if you added in an additional storage interface card or a network card and the default drivers in WinPE don't support it. Like I said in the above paragraph this doesn't look all that likely as a problem with the laptop since you created the archive OK with the same environment.

Have you tried to Verify the archive with Paragon? That would show how well the system is handling the read function without writing and would also give some assurance the archive itself is OK.

7. xeikon

xeikon Registered Member

You are right, I had a good assurance the Paragon Win PE worked great to do the backup (just in two hours), but not to do the recover, since I tried. I used the Paragon Win PE to make the Recover at first, but it took 8 hours to reach 15 %. So I stopped it and made the recover with the Paragon HD Manager in Windows 7, which by the way now is in 103 % and is taking 19 hours to finish.

I am looking at my Resource Monitor in Windows 7 and I can see that the usage of the CPU is not that high, at most 20 %. And the HD Usage is at most 10 %.

What amaze me is that the Paragon application is reading all backup files at the same time and is writing hundreds of files (at least 200) to the partition destination at the same time, but very slowly.

Maybe the problem is the Laptop HD which is not that fast:

WD Scorpio Blue WD2500BEVT 250GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive

When the Restore Process finishes, I will make a test of it with the Paragon Software. Right now is stuck at 103 % and it says "10 minutes Remaining" But I can see at the Resource Monitor that the Paragon software is still moving a lot of files.

Thank you.

8. xeikon

xeikon Registered Member

By the way, if you know please... would you tell me the answer to my first question:

If I am using "Paragon Hard Disk Manager 11 Server" what would be the best settings for the fastest partition Back up and what would be the best settings to make the fastest partition recovery. All this not taking in consideration the final size of the back up.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.