Best Security Setup using the Free Softwares?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by anoose, Oct 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I think that's a great setup.
    Its the same installer. Its free for scans and once you use the program to remove something, it remains free for 30 days. Afterward, if you want to keep using it for removal, you ll have to purchase it.
    If you use SBIE along MSE, most likely, you ll never need HMP to remove anything.

Bo

2. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

It starts with using all the security built into your OS: Local/Group Policy, UAC, LUA, Folder Permissions, EMET, ect... Learn what your OS can do to eliminate having to bloat your setup with too many 3'rd party apps.

If you're using Vista or 7, Windows FW with the plugin of your choice for easier control. Add Sandboxie to run the browser of your choice sandboxed, and either Macrium Reflect Free or EaseUS Todo Backup Free for imaging/backup, unless you like the native one (I have no experience with them in Vista/7 myself). Keyscrambler Personal. Use Ixquick as your search engine. Throw in Mullvad OpenVPN or TOR for anonymity if you'd like.

If you want to run a real-time AV then Avast Free. I no longer recommend the free version of Avira since the toolbar. Throw in these on-demand scanners regardless of if you run one real-time or not: Hitman Pro, MalwareBytes Free, SuperAntiSpyware Free

If you're running XP, then Comodo FW instead of WF. Add D+ only if you're a control freak like me.

3. anoose

anoose Registered Member

so since hitman pro is only free for scanning, what do i have to do if i want to remove them without me having to pay for the actual product? do i use different software to remove them?

4. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

Yes, that's an option. Or remove malware manually.
    I never use HitmanPro for removal, only for detection. Though it have never found anything. But if it would have found anything, I would check those files on virustotal (for possible FP's) and try to remove it by using other means.

5. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

If Hitman Pro one day detect anything, I restore the image (With Keriver 1-Click Restore Pro). :thumb:

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

good idea:D

7. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Yes, sure but I would first try another convolute way, mainly out of curiosity.

I would take advantage of Ashampoo Uninstaller 4's "Reinstall packaging" feature ("Reinstaller reinstalls your removed programs along with all your individual settings").
    Start the installation monitoring, taking a first snapshot of system, and let HM do all its cleaning work. Then, ask Uninstaller to "uninstall" all the changes made by Hitman on the system. And when asked if I need to build a "reinstall package" I'd say yes and save it on some external media. Use ISR to put my system back in time before Hitman was at work and use this "reinstall pack" to redo the same cleaning that was done by HitMan Pro...
    Shadow Defender would not work here because HM usually needs one or more system restart, so we need a ISR program.
    Not sure if it would work always but I'm fairly confident enough to try, just for the heck of it.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  8. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

A very strong and free setup would be:
    Returnil+Sandboxie+SpyShelter

and of course a imaging software like Macrium, Keriver or own Windows 7 built in imaging.

However i don't know if SpyShelter and Sandboxie run fine with each other, and for more easy of use would be recommendable to have (at least) two partitions, one for the System and other for Data.

9. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Thanks for info, I didn't know these are freebies.

10. Mirjalovic

Mirjalovic Registered Member

MSE, MBAM, router firewall,& proper knowledge..

11. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

There are both paid and free versions of which one:thumb:

12. gerardwil

I will search for SB free then, so far not found

13. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

www.sandboxie.com

14. gerardwil

I know that link but where is your free version?

15. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

This version stays restricted unless you register it.
    "The Personal (Home Use) License for Sandboxie:
    Is personal and is not transferable into computers or electronic media that you do not own;
    But does permit you to use Sandboxie on any number of computers that you personally own;
    Covers the current version and all future versions of Sandboxie;
    Removes the nag screen that initially appears after you have used Sandboxie for more than 30 days;
    Enables the Forced Programs and Forced Folders features;
    Allows you to run programs in more than one sandbox at the same time (see message SBIE1303);
    But does not entitle you to any guaranteed level of technical support.
    All of the above applies to both the lifetime and limited-time licenses."

http://www.sandboxie.com/SandboxieInstall.exe

16. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Sorry, I posted the link because the free version is there under the Download tab. There is only one download.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.