best security plan following re-format

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by pojispear, Feb 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pojispear

pojispear Registered Member

hello, it's been about 2 yrs since i reformatted HD, and although everything is running fine, i was running below average security up until 3 months ago. i'm nervous because this pseudo-hacker friend sent me a lot of car photos and crap in email, so i'm nervous about rootkits. i did run blacklite and another rootkit detector and did not find any hidden files not associated w/ the legit programs i have. should i re-format?

currently:
    KAV 2005
    Kerio 4.20
    BOClean
    SpywareBlaster
    SP2 updated

and if i re-format, should i try ProcessGuard full and some reg app like regrun or regdefend? what else could i try on the clean system?
    for use, i need :D to do online multiplayer games and some p2p. thanks

2. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

I expect your system is clean . It would not hurt to reformat after 2 years though . If you do , your firewall and AV are great . Will not comment on BOClean . SB is not needed in my opinion . You can always add Ewido for on demand scanning . Look into a good AS program . Spyware Doctor , CounterSpy , or SpySweeper .
    As for RegDefend . If money is no object , go for it . If money matters , that would be last on my list . PG free is good . The full is better though . With everything listed here , you would be very safe . There are other options available but , this is as good as it gets really .

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Personally I find 2 years to be around the right time frame for a format in general. You'll probably find that your system runs a lot faster and a lot of little issues you've learned to ignore are gone. Just take your time in getting everything backed up (backup everything you can think of, then just use the computer for about a week and grab things as you remember them), and develop a good backup routine and security setup in the meantime.

4. pojispear

pojispear Registered Member

thanks guys looks like i have a project for this weekend

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.