Best replacement for Port Explorer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gmg888, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gmg888

gmg888 Registered Member

After a crash and build of a new system I find I am unable to reactivate my legally purchased copy of Port Explorer. I have my license but as we know DiamondCS is defunct and I am unable to get an unlock code.

I am curious what others are using that best approximates the functionality of this much missed tool.

Thanks in advance

George

2. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I agree. :) The NirSoft tools are free and work quite well...

4. gmg888

gmg888 Registered Member

Wow, thanks MikeNAS & HAN for your fast replies, these are exactly what I'm looking for. And free too!!

thanks again

5. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

WHATo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did port explorer not come with an access code? Why can't you just use the code provided in the first place? I have the product too, and I don't recall that there is any activation involved, just a registration code. Did you loose the code, or am I missing something?

6. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

According to MajorGeeks.com listing here, its not free, it shareware and $30 to buy.

dja2k

7. HandsOff

$30 sure doesn't sound free to me!

I would appreciate it if someone would answer my question about activating Port Explorer. I have it installed now, but, if for some reason, I should have to re-install it, I would like to think that it would not be a problem. I looked in the installed directory and there is a file there called register.exe. I assume it just copies your registration code to the registry, but perhaps I am wrong. It is 5kb in size which sounds pretty big for just that. Is there some sort of activation scenario that I have to worry about now??

I hope not!

All software that requires online activation, or any life interaction to activate is a ripoff to the buyer. Believe me. I have already have other paid for, and now useless software and it makes me extremely angry!

-HandsOff

8. audiophile

audiophile Registered Member

I do not know if you have an image made ( acronis, ghost) or other imaging
    software. I didn't save mine unlock code and i want to use it in Vista. But after some searching i was able to find the code in the registry.
    This is were if found the keys:

XP - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Diamond Computer Systems\Port Explorer "pecode"

Vista - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\virtualStore "pecode"

somthing like this
    "PSAB.............................................................................................PE"

:argh:

9. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

No, you dont have to activate it onlline, just enter the serial you got and its done.

10. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

The problem is (which i found out recently from a poster here at wilders)is that ,if you bought older versions of PE ,a keyfile and unlock code was required to register it.These dont work with the later versions such as 2.150,and its very hard to find old versions of PE.If you have the newer version which just requires the serial theres no problem.If you have the old key file and unlock code you need to find an older version of PE such as 1.800
    ellison

11. HandsOff

This is very useful information. If a comprehensive list could be made it would be a valuable resource for people who are in need of an older version. I happen to be running version 2.0. As I recall, it has a single, verrrrrry long serial number that needs to be entered. Also there is an exe file, register.exe. it is 5kb in size. I'm not sure...is that a registration code, or is it something else. what happens if I click it, you ask? Oh, bummer! It tries to connect to the DCS website.

It's not impossible that I may have an older version. I am looking for a completely different old program (that was better than the later versions) and will keep an eye out for that older version too. My search is confined to old backups, which aren't nearly as comprehensive as they should be!

Thanks for the info! And I am glad that live activation is not involved. I might suggest posting searching for version 1.85 and see what happens, if that is someone's problems. Somebody has it!

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.