best paid AV for vista ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by C.S.J, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I think that either way all three AVs fall into the same category of detection rates. I would suggest Panda primarily due to better heuristics engine (among the three you speak of).

2. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

That is very true.

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

none :D

you should wait "just a couple days" and get the dr.web vista beta installed :D

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok i'll add dr.web, its not vista compatible yet, but the scanner still works on vista

5. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

Did you use the Dr. Web beta engine or the standard engine while testing Dr. Web against your malware?

6. Firecat

Do you mean Vista 32-bit or 64-bit?

I've had word from Virus Chaser that VC now fully supports Windows Vista 32-bit, so it makes sense that Dr.Web should support 32-bit Vista as well?

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

vista 32bit, no dr.web is not compat, although the beta for vista is a few days away.

i tested it on the released version 4.33

8. Firecat

Virus Chaser also uses the same engine DLL as Dr.Web, and the same version as well at the moment. It is strange to me that Dr.Web itself does not support Vista 32-bit when its clone AV does. I suspect it has more to do with the code of the real time monitor itself rather than the engine, as the on-demand scanner of Dr.Web still works in Vista.

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

firecat,

dr.web's scanner works, but updates and real-time (spiderguard) do not work.

i aint even sure if the spidermail works either, just the scanner i think.

but the dr.web vista 32bit is coming soon, beta is a few days away, so im told. :D

-----------
    ok and out of the ones i tested, the ones i liked the most were (excluding dr.web), i liked panda and nod32. (still dont like nods layout, profiles etc)

i also must add that nod32 detected rather alot as heuristic detections, good job they have that..... or detection would be sooooooo poor on my own testing :) , nod32 is the one im currently using until my doctor comes vista ready :)

10. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I agree with this, Panda surprises me at times with what it bags, especially in the Malware & Spyware area and it runs pretty light. I'm still a big fan of DrWEB though, it's about 1/5th the size and seems every bit as effective...:D

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

well, i was using nod32 on my vista but ive noticed it slows my boot up time where others do not, is this normal?

the software works fine though, and no problems :)

still have the urge though, while i wait for my dr.web, to try out more av's *lol

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  12. ASpace

ASpace Guest

No , it is not normal but it can be checked and possibly fixed.

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

im trying viruschaser, as i heard it uses dr.webs technology etc, but it looks a bit of a clone

the icon is a spider but its red not green *OMG*, is this right... i find it funny.

are they a sister-company?

it even said "dr.web spidermail for windows has stopped working......."

anyway, I DONT LIKE THE GUI, hear me DR.WEB, do not change your GUI if it is a viruschaser style.

also, VC allowed me to unzip 60,000 malware samples to my HD, whereas dr.web did not, and yes it was on all the highest settings, im scanning the files it just allowed me to unzip and it is finding threats, so why did it let me have them on the machine, does VC not have any realtime scanning at all?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hey Chris,
    i executed the eicar test virus when virus chaser was on the machine and it didnt block in realtime but found it on an on demand scan.
    so i dont think it has realtime scanning. even thou the usb virus chaser says it has realtime protection so the normal version should as well.
    lodore

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont like VC lodore,

no real-time scanning, let me unzip my malware collection.

also, when scanning it ondemand, it crashed twice.

and i hate the GUI, bring back the real DOCTOR WEB. :D

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i was explaining that i didnt like it either since it doesn't seem to have realtime protection and only finds stuff using on demand scanner
    lodore

17. Firecat

Its real time protection is done in "Create and Write" mode, due to which the RTM is not as good as it should be by default. If you wish to have the "Smart" mode RTM of Dr.Web, simply enable the network drive scan option in the settings. :)

Real Time Monitor in Virus Chaser works, I have tried it myself. But unfortunately, no heuristic analysis in VC, except for Chinese users, for whom it is enabled. :)

As far as company goes, they are a technical partner for Dr.Web. They develop their own code over Dr.Web's, and they also do virus analysis and add signatures to Dr.Web's database.

18. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

im sure they do, but its not as good..... it really isnt.

19. Firecat

Yes, it still has bugs here and there, but it works well enough. I, for one, keep a constant watch on the product because I think it has potential. But for now, Dr.Web is indeed better.

Oh, BTW, I do not have a screenshot of the first version of Virus Chaser, but it had a somewhat different interface to the current version, and it was reportedly developed by DialogueScience. I think you can still see the old interface if you find the Virus Chaser manual and download it at http://www.viruschaser.com

20. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i enabled that option and it still let me unzip, launch virus codes and programs without it doing anything, sure it has potential as its based on the doctor,but how can an av let it do this? o_O

21. Firecat

Maybe its Vista specific because I am not encountering this issue on Windows XP (The RTM catches all unzipped files). I guess I should report it....:doubt:

22. 337

337 Registered Member

Anyone tried McAfee's vista compatible solutions?? :D
    Wondering how it would stack up against the current apps discussed?

23. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

This sort of question always comes down to personal preferences in the end. But if you ask me, NOD32 v2.70 has my vote for being fast, nimble and powerful

24. Firecat

I think I have the answer now: The version of Virus Chaser downloaded from the Hong Kong server was not using the latest drweb32.dll due to technical difficulties. As a result, the real-time monitor driver was also not updated, which *could* account for why VC RTM was not working like it should have at that moment. As of right now they have updated the drweb32.dll and spider.sys files, so maybe you would like to try again...

BTW, sorry if I'm going off-topic, but I created a "photo gallery" of the previous version of Virus Chaser (version 5.0) for you guys, especially C.S.J. Since version 5.0 was supposedly developed by DialogueScience, there is a chance Dr.Web 5.0 may look like this. This old version of VC does indeed have the Dr.Web feel around its interface...(sorry for bad quality of screenshots, these screenshots are taken off the Virus Chaser 5.0 manual).

Virus Chaser main screen:
    http://img483.imageshack.us/img483/2839/vc1ek6.jpg

Scan bar:

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/8347/vc2zq0.jpg

On-demand scanner settings:

http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/2412/vc3bp7.jpg

Real-time monitor settings:

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/3982/vc4vf5.jpg

Real-time monitor alert upon virus detection:

http://img459.imageshack.us/img459/5533/vc5nw3.jpg

IMO Virus Chaser is an extremely well-developed and well-tested AV based on the Dr.web engine. The only problem or gripe I've ever had with it is the lack of heuristic analysis. It has been 100% problem free and reliable for me apart from this lack of heuristics. If only they'd enable the heuristics....

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  25. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Agreed :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.