Best Fresh OS Install for Acronos

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ambaer52, Oct 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ambaer52

ambaer52 Registered Member

I just built a new computer and I am wondering about the best way to configure if for the subequent use of Acronos.

I can have one drive C: with the OS and apps on it and a second D: physical drive with data on it.

I was wondering whether there might be some advantage of partition the first physical drive in this manner (if it is possible without messing things up.)

C:\for the XP OS and partition (volume) D:\ for the applications
    and physical (second drive) E:\

What is best for making an image if my system crashes.

I did a Google search for this just from the perspective of the best way to do a clean install on a new machine. I did not find a great answer. There is the concern that some apps won't allow you to change the path to D:\program files (I would just create a new folder with that name.) Additionally, I assume apps are still writing to the windows registry.

Some people thought this would slow things down but make defragging easier.

Overall, what is the best thing to do.

I have not installed the software. No manual came with it. No "boot up" discs either. I assume the manual is on the disc and that you make a "boot up" disc from a cd.

2. Christopher_NC

Christopher_NC Registered Member

I used to separate my OS and programs, but several members of this forum pointed out that there is no real advantage to doing that. For most programs to run, they need to be entwined with Windows anyway, such as the Registry. As you mentioned, some programs don't even run well if they are installed outside the system drive.

With todays ample hard drives, you can easily create one partition that will hold your OS, swap file, and apps. Then, create other partitions for your data. I'd suggest one for active data, and at least one for data that is more archival. The second internal hard drive can store both data archives, and Acronis True Image archives. I suggest storing your non-replaceable data in their original formats, rather than solely in .tib file archives.

Here's a link to The Elder Geek on Windows XP, here discussing One Partition or Multiple Partitions?

Regards

3. ambaer52

what is a tib file

4. ambaer52

One other thing. For both Win XP and apps, what is a decent size partitions. I don't think I even have a gig of apps.

5. Christopher_NC

Christopher_NC Registered Member

Both types of TI backup files, disk/partition Images, and Files and Folders backups, result in .tib files, the proprietary file format used by Acronis True Image. These files can only be accessed and read by TI.

I'll let someone else answer your question about partition size. I'm still learning my way around partitioning. The principle is, it depends. On what you intend to do with your computer.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.