Best free/priceworthy security setup for 64bit PC?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Rivalen, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

I am buying a new PC most likely 64bit because I suppose staying with 32 bit would be akward?? Pls comment.

What would my security setup be?

Thanks for all advice.

Best Regards

2. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

Priceworthy would be PrevX + SafeOnline. :isay: :thumb:

3. lubieplacki

lubieplacki Registered Member

I think you can install in 64-bit Windows SandboxIE, antivirus like Microsoft Security Essentials, Panda Cloud Antivirus, Comodo Antivirus etc. etc, and good firewall like PC Tools Firewall etc.

4. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

panda Cloud Antivirus 1.1 now is in beta, but will include a BB and USB vaccine.

its free. worth a look at

5. Rivalen

Whats the big advantage with 64bit over 32bit?

Best Regards

6. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

Stability and Security.
    Just a guess. :D

7. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

If you use a security app with 64-bit processes it already has natural selfdefense because 32-bit can't touch/modify/attack 64-bit.
    Next to that 64-bit operating systems are in general safer: the whole 64-bit architecture seems safer; most malware is still in 32-bit and therefore targets 32-bits. For example when you use a 64-bit operating system you don't have to worry about rootkits, the TDS/Alureon rootkit seems like the toughest rootkit to remove ever (for 32-bit OS), but it has never infected a 64-bit system.

8. Rivalen

If my laptop has max 4 mb ram. I cant use the full potential of a 64bit op system - right? Why run one anyway?

If I still go for 64bit - how well will my software work on 64 bit - not only security software - but all other software?

Best Regards

9. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I also use a 4GB RAM laptop, your benefit from a 64-bit starts at 4GB, the more RAM you have to more the advantage will be. So: 3GB RAM: 32-bit, 4GB RAM: 64-bit.
    All programs will work on 64-bit. Since 32-bit will be installed in Program Files (x86) (you get two Program Files folders). So they will be sort of emulated.

Next to that 64-bit is more feature proof. With Windows 7 there were already rumours about not making a 32-bit version anymore, eventually they did. With Windows 8 32-bit will probably be dropped and there are rumours about 128-bit. You can also see more and more programs are getting native 64-bit. For example Microsoft Office 2010.

10. Rivalen

So Matthijs - I am both non tech non english speaking. If I understand you right - my choice should be Win7 32 or 64 depending maximum RAM and on 64 my old proggies will work anyway cause there is some solution included in win7 that will make them run - except maybe Defensewall HIPS - and I will have to leave it behind.

Best Regards

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

If you have 4 GB installed then 64 bit Windows will be able to use all of it - 32 bit Windows can only use approximately 3.25 GB because of technical limitations. I think the more important consideration is making sure your software and hardware will work properly on 64 bit Windows. If you have an older printer, scanner, etc. make sure there are 64 bit drivers available on the manufacturers websites. Also, if you have older software designed to run on XP (or Windows 98 ) then confirm it will run in compatibility mode on Windows Vista/7. Most software will, but not all.

12. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I think Victek123 gives a clear explanation.
    When you have 4GB of RAM, go for 64-bit. Above 3GB you should pick 64-bit (no one has 3.25GB which is like the line of demarcation)
    Most software will support 64-bit, and fairly new hardware will also support 64-bit.
    But indeed not all software works on 64-bit, or it works limited. And most of that software which doesn't (totally) function is indeed security related software, and I think one of them is DefenseWall.

So if your laptop has 4GB RAM, you have two options:
    1. 32-bit operating system: you are having 0.75GB of RAM which is not being used, but you can use DefenseWall.
    2. 64-bit operating system: you can utilise all of your RAM, but DefenseWall won't work.

So it depends on which you find more important, utilising all of your RAM or using DefenseWall. For DefenseWall there are alternatives, but there ain't for the wasted RAM.

13. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

There are quite a couple people who have 3,25 GB, it's as easy as 3GB RAM + a video card w/ 256MB of memory. (Yeah, that memory counts as well). For more details, see the 32-bit Client Effective Memory Limits part of the article here.

14. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Oh didn't know graphics memory also counted, so that gives me 5GB of memory :)

15. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Interesting thread. Will have to keep my eye on this one as it progresses dy to the fact I have a brand new PC with Windows 7 64 bit but don't have any security programs running on it yet.
    Im using my Win XP Pro for now so I'm looking for programs to run on the 64 bit PC but NO BETA programs.

16. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

17. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

Not cheap but worth thinking about ..

Get an upgrade to windows ultimate , run the applocker wizard to create the default rules.

18. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

The new systems come with windows defender, which is a pretty good security app.

For free security, you could go Threatfire and a free AV (Avast and Avira are 64bit and free, not sure about AVG being 64bit).

Paid, I really like Prevx (and perhaps add a free AV) - it's 3 yr licence is quite reasonable.

I've found that flash player doesn't work on 64bit IE - but you don't have to use 64bit IE - you still have the option of using 32bit IE.

From what I understand, drivers in 64bit windows have to be digitally signed - making it more secure (rootkits use drivers)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.