Best Free Low-Resource Firewalls?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by thegreatoutlaw, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Must be your system. :doubt:
    Definantly not resource heavy here. :D

Attached Files:

2. Xenophobe

Xenophobe Registered Member

I don't suppose thegreatoutlaw is looking for an answer anymore... this thread is several months old.

3. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Task manager Mem Usage numbers mean almost nothing, unless they are huge. A firewall that shows 15 MB in that column might reduce available memory by 40 MB on the performance tab. It is also necessary to look at CPU Time, not only for the firewall services, but for System and other services. It appears that the work done by firewall drivers is picked up by System. For reasons that I don't totally understand, several of the more advanced HIPS firewalls cause the touchpad driver on my notebook to run up lots of CPU Time, somewhat mitigated if the touchpad service is give trusted status. Finally some security apps will cause a noticeable slowdown on certain systems.

4. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Correct. :)
    But it is still not heavy on my system. :thumb:
    Light on memory, low cpu, no noticeable slowdown. :thumb:

5. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

OA does feel light and i haven't noticed any slowdowns in browsing. However, i would say that judging from CPU Time, the CPu usage is average to high. Comodo eats less CPU Time, but tends to feel heavier. I would call PC Tools firewall low CPU eater and Kerio 2 ultra low.

6. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

You can use the inbuilt Vista Firewall for 2 way. You can do it manually, or use a small program that opens it up for you for 2 way. That's the way I do it, and its so light on my system, no heavy resource hungry applications running.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.