Best FREE image backup for Windows 10/11

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by DjKilla, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

This makes sense but it also implies that both of you do not trust at least one of the software fully. As for insurance, wouldn't it be better to keep multiple backups from a single software?

For example, in my case I always keep at least the last 2 weeks worth of Macrium backups saved all the time. This way if one of the backups was corrupted, I always have 13 more to try.

But of course, safety of data and peace of mind are more important. If your way gives you guys peace of mind, I am all OK with it.

2. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

Judging by that video, you can only restore files from within Windows.
    To restore the entire OS or partitions, you need to boot to the Veeam Bare Metal boot media.
    Can't that be initiated from within Windows?

3. DjKilla

DjKilla Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I did some research and this looks like a problem for the latest Windows 11 22H2 update. Kinda disappointed seeing that there is a wait to test then release a stable version of Veeam that does support Windows 11 22H2. I'm currently using Windows Home 10 22H2 64-bit but I'll be looking a little closer that the backup software that I'm checking out is keeping their software updated in a timely matter to keep up with the latest Windows versions. Veeam is so good but if it's not updated quick enough, then sadly that would make it a no go. I'll continue with the other options but will keep an eye on how long it takes Veeam to do their testing and release a supported version. I really like the software.

4. Raza0007

Yeah, I have no idea what that guy from PCWorld was smoking! There would be no logic from Paragon for making a disk imaging software, even a free one, that cannot image a single partition!

5. DjKilla

Yes! After creating the backup image it looks like you can restore it completely or open the image and restore files/folders from the image through windows without using bootable restore media (usb, cd/dvd, etc.).

6. DjKilla

Paragon, here I come! Don't let me down! Show me that backup magic you have built in!

7. Raza0007

I believe Veeam's primary target audience is business customers and most businesses are still running Windows 7 and 10. This is probably why they have not released a Windows 11 compatible version yet. They will only do so if/when their clients demand it.

Correction: It does appear that Veeam is compatible with Windows 11, probably not optimized with the recent changes due the above mentioned reason.
    https://www.veeam.com/veeam_backup_11_a_release_notes_rn.pdf

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
  8. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

I see lots of errors in those IT/PC tech review sites such as PCWorld and others.
    I think they might take a few shortcuts when writing their reviews.
    And some of the Pros and Cons make me laugh. Sometimes it's as if they need to find something to add to the list just fill it.
    Actually, you can initiate an OS or partition restore from within Windows.
    Veeam uses separate applications which are available from either the Start Menu or system tray icon.

Veeam Start Menu.png Veeam (Tray Icon).png

This video probably explains it better.
    Code:
    Introduction to Veeam Agent for Windows
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3TJzimUt38

9. pegas

pegas Registered Member

In my case it's not about trust, I trust both :) but each serves a different purpose. I have laptops and while MRF backups to an external HD, Veeam is deployed in our company and thus backups to the company remote storage.

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Well, thank you.

As for me, I have 6 months of backups using 7 (that's not a typo, seven) different programs. I love to play, but quite as much as Peter2150 did. :'(
    Acadia

11. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

12. pegas

pegas Registered Member

If I correctly read the website, it serves only for file backups, OS imaging isn't included.

13. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

14. DjKilla

I went to the link and looked it over and noticed the company is located in China. Since that's one of the biggest surveillance spy country in the world, I personally passed it over.

15. DjKilla

So it looks like I found my replacement for Macrium Reflect Free after testing out a few of the recommended backup programs in this thread. And the winner is (drum roll), Paragon Backup & Recovery Free ( https://www.paragon-software.com/free/br-free/# ). It's a step up from Veeam in that it checks the integrity of the backup/image just like Macrium, has 4 different image/container types to save your image (.pvhd, .vmdk, .vhd, .vhdx) and has two different ways to create a bootable restore media (usb, etc.) using either ADK mode to create restore media capable of handling an iso based recovery environment or the normal way (I use this one) which is Windows Image mode using a WIM image. So definitely a step above Veeam. The entire software is super easy to use and includes Full entire computer backups, volume backups (Yes, make an image of your operating system/C: drive only!), file/folder backups, also scheduled Full, Incremental or Differential backups, as well as, encrypted backups. You can also choose to keep your backups/images forever or by days, after a number of backups and until you make a new backup/image, You can also save as a single image or split the image into several files for easy backup to many CD/DVDs and such. It's faster also! With normal compression it took about 15 minutes to create my OS drive image which is 105 gigs to 73 gigs. Overall, great backup software and a winner for a Macrium Reflect Free replacement. Almost forgot to mention that if you don't want to create bootable restore media, you can install the backup/image within windows and open the image to just restore files/folders if you choose.

I did breeze by Clonezilla, but it wasn't what I was looking for. I also breezed by Aomei Backupper and would pick it as my second choice. The simple, easy menu of Paragon Backup & Recovery and fantastic powerful features is what made it my go to for now. Oh, and I did check to make sure there was no problems with the latest updates to windows like Windows 11 22H2 and all is good unlike Veeam which is still testing to make there software compatible but to be fair, Veeam is more geered towards companies and businesses where as I'm a regular home user.

As usual, I hope this helps others in finding a Macrium Reflect Free replacement. I highly recommend to give Paragon a try. I didn't have to create an account, just download it and I found my magical backup program. Also in case anyone cares to know, the company is based in Germany where a lot of privacy companies are located like Tutanota privacy email service.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
  16. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

Nice review of Paragon Backup & Recovery Community Edition, DjKilla.
    I'm pretty sure that Paragon used to have a presence on this forum years ago.

17. DjKilla

Well thanks to others posting on some good backup software to try, I'm now a fan and user of Paragon. They did a good job at creating backup software that's simple to use and with great features for a power user. And that's just the free version. If I did pay for backup software, I would absolutely consider Paragon but I have seen many posts mentioning TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite. I'm just glad there's quality backup software to choose from.

18. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

Even though I haven't used Paragon applications recently, I used to use them all the time years ago for backup and partitioning.
    I can't recall ever having a problem with them. I think it's a reputable German company.

19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Same here. Paragon was one of the very first top notch backup programs i soley relied on along with Drive Snapshot. And that's stretching all the way back to Windows 98SE (My First Windows System). I don't recall any issues whatsoever with Paragon and it was ahead of it's time back then too. It might been surpassed by their competition on some levels over that span but it was always reliable.

20. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

I will try Paragon out. The last time I tried AOMEI Backupper which was like 2 years ago, it was able to create backups just fine but when the time came to restore it failed and that left a sour taste in my mouth that I can't trust it. Not sure if anything has changed now.

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Aomei Backupper should work for you now. That was 2 years ago and you bailed away which is understandable given other options.
    One year ago you couldn't convince me to bother with Backupper. Now however it is been thoroughly improved and frankly it's suddenly risen to my top choice and i been doing practically daily backups & restores and the things is a total MARVEL for me.

22. pegas

pegas Registered Member

+1 same here. Paragon was guarding me on Vista.

@DjKilla thanks for the valuable review and it really seems that we have viable choices among reliable free backup apps.

23. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

Got it, I guess I'll give it another shot.

24. beagle1957

beagle1957 Registered Member

So far in my testing, AOMEI seems to be in the lead, followed by Paragon with Veeam trailing the field. Hasleo has been disqualified due to continuing issues with creating an Emergency Disk on my particular system.

Has anyone looked at Evorim Advanced Backup? The free version looks interesting, but doesn't allow you to create an Emergency Disk - a major no-no.

25. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Been going strong weeks now on a daily basis imaging & restores with Backupper and it certainly has the top place on this end. It's stellar performance has astonished my own expectations beyond what i expected. Everything functions picture perfect after restores and including dissimilar hardware like a dream. It literally put me in high gear procuring External Storage Drives like never before.

The more i use it the more rapid it seems to be either way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.