best free email service privacy wise

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by guest, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hashed

hashed Registered Member

I ceased using Hushmail once I read some of the comments on this forum (and the collaborating evidence presented) that Hushmail is too willing to work with authorities to provide access to your emails. Also, to their credit, they do also state this up front in their TOS.

~h

2. PrivateSky

PrivateSky Registered Member

Hi, thanks for trying PrivateSky. We'd also like to give away a hundred or so professional subscriptions when we go out of beta to the Wilders team.

Can you folks let us know the best way we could do that and get them to the right folks?

Thanks for trying it out and the positive comments folks.

Cheers,
    Brian

3. No_script

No_script Registered Member

Mossad doing MITM attacks on safe-mail.net again. Got there ip's all point to Israel servers;)

4. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

vmail.me disable HTML permanently?

currently can't view message through browser...

5. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

anyone has success with vmail on browser and thunderbird

i tried both unsuccessful

6. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Hi Countermail, how is this possibility coming along?

THANKS

7. Countermail

Countermail Registered Member

Yes, we are going to distribute some coupon codes, our payment page can not handle coupon codes yet, but it will soon.

8. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

WOW fast reply, thanks Countermail! :)

Cheers

9. traxx75

traxx75 Registered Member

safe-mail.net has been accused of having links to Israeli intelligence for years, but haven't they always been hosted in Israel [specifically barak.net.il]?

I also thought it was alleged that safe-mail.net implemented a system that allowed intelligence to request and view plaintext as required, rather than requiring effort to enact a MITM attack.

10. box750

box750 Registered Member

As a curiosity, I was looking at my website logs and I noticed that the CiA was interested in Countermail.

I couldn't see the search terms they used, maybe some kind of script breaks them, I noticed this problem with other Government agencies visiting the website too, but I don't think this is any kind of investigation because they wouldn't be stupid enough to use their own network computers for that.

Screenshot CiA visitor:
    CiA-countermail.png

11. Countermail

It's good that they inform themselves about secure ways to communicate :) We also had one three-letter U.S. agency that bought a premium account.

12. focus

focus Registered Member

I find this interesting, not so much that the TLA is visiting CM, but because of the information a web page visit collects. Can a site see the previous pages one has visited even if an extension like RefControl is active?

13. box750

box750 Registered Member

I don't use the extension you mentioned, the only way to know for sure if it works as advertised is by testing it. Blindly trusting what the developers claim would not be a good idea.

14. shuverisan

shuverisan Registered Member

Yet another WinXP. I find it amazing how many government and other organizations still use Windows XP from state law enforcement to the NSA & NOAA to Universities to retail centers.

15. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

16. focus

focus Registered Member

RefControl seems to adequately block the referrer site but I am not sure about the "Navigation Path" that your image demonstrates. I have found no way to view, this navigation path from my PC, it seems to be more of a server type of viewing tool. Interesting in that I never knew that this information (the path) was captured, something to think about in terms of privacy.

As I understand the image, someone was using CounterMail, then perhaps clicked on a site in an email (or a link on the CM site) which led them to the next site where they then clicked on something that led them to your site. Does this sound correct?

17. Countermail

We have referer-protection on all links inside an email. Every link is redirected through a "Referer-removal" script.

18. box750

box750 Registered Member

No that is not correct, it is the other way around, someone at the CiA visited the site, possibly referred by a search engine but I can't see that, and then clicked on the link going to Countermail. Just look at the timestamps.

19. focus

focus Registered Member

Ah, I see. My misunderstanding. I am still concerned about the navigation path being captured, and will continue to look into it, but that is off topic for this thread now as CM was not the originator as I thought. CM seems to be the best in terms of privacy IMO, with no controversy as some of the other services have.

Thanks.

20. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Count me in for one of those promo coupon codes. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.