Best free complement for SSM Free

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by glentrino2duo, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Hash checking?

Why not simply configure WinPooch to protect your executables from being written to?

A much better method than looking for your Windows CD so you can reinstall svchost.exe after finding out a trojan had overwritten the original copy, I'd say.

2. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

What I tried to say was I don't care even if Winpooch doesn't check file hashes because I only use it for network control as that is what I was basically looking for, to complement SSM Free...

3. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

You might also want to look into the file defense capabilities of Winpooch. SSM Free is going to not even so much as squeak when a malware mass-deletes your files.

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Glentrino2duo,

Glad you tried WinPooch. WinPooch also has the same registry protection power as RegDefend and the same file protection (preventing vulnarable OS files to be written) and as data traffic monitoring power as SensitiveGuard.

The registry and file protection complements SSM free nicely. Solcroft is right. I could upload the WinPooch filter when you want.

My choice of aps
    - PC1: EQSecure + GeSWall Pro + Antivir (write only, heuristics high)
    - PC2: CyberHawk (1.2.0.39) + WinPooch (Reg + File defense) + DefenseWall + Antivir (ditto).

PC1 is absolutely quite configured (default = block, my wife just uses her PC as a device), PC2 asks when anomalies happen (my son is a power user/gamer/PC hobbiest).

Regards K

5. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

I finally did it! I bit the bullet and it tastes great!!! :)
    I reinstalled EQSecure 3.3 and, now, I like so much! I couldn't figure it out much when I first tried it, when it came out from the other thread. But everything seems to make sense to me now.
    At the moment, SSM Free is still my preferred app for program control as it is more straightforward. I complement it with EQSecure as my behavior-based HIPS and also for registry and file system protection. This is the reason I use WinPooch exclusively to control outgoing network access. I didn't mention this is my earlier post because I'm still figuring out EQS.
    Mitchelson mention in post#72 that EQS 3.4 will feature network access control and if that happens, WinPooch will be ditched (I hate the GUI and the tray icon, anyway).
    I now agree with Easter, EQS complements better with SSM Free. For now, I'm not sure if it's able to replace SSM Free completely as, like I said process execution control in SSM Free is still better than EQS, IMO. Maybe they are the same in their mechanisms in intercepting applications but how SSM Free (even App Defend) manages it's database of applications is way better still. Plus, the Window Filter feature of SSM Free is still indispensable for me.

Last edited: May 20, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.