Best Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Pan, Mar 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pan

Pan Guest

Hi

After doing some reading it seems to be between these three:-

Kerio
    Outpost
    Look 'n' Stop

Which do you prefer and why?

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

:D Hi Pan,

Try them all, see what suits you best

I used Kerio in the past but currently use Outpost Pro & Sygate Pro (not together!)
    I like Sygate's logging very much & I find the rule making more intuitive than Outposts. Outpost is well supported and has excellent support with the ability to add plugins. :D A new version of Outpost is also in the pipeline.

3. Ghostcat

Ghostcat Registered Member

I used looknstop for over a year then made the switch to Outpost a little over a month ago because i wanted to be able to apply rules on a per application basis.

So far there is only one thing I don't like about Outpost. There is no whois with installed program. There is a plugin called whoeasy from pc flank but I am not to impressed with it so won't pay the $20 to register.

Have not tried kerio.

As Pilli says it's really up to what your preferences are.

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Pan

The age old question "What is the best firewall?"

Unfortunately there is no correct answer.
    What is best for me, may not be best for you. As Pilli suggested, you will have to find the one that suits your abilities and needs. Narrow down the list from information available, then try the ones on the short list to find the one for you. The ones you mentioned are all good firewalls.

Regards,

CrazyM

5. Pan

Pan Guest

Yeah will try them all.

Outpost seems popular here followed by Kerio. Doesn't seem to be many LNS users though.

Which firewall do you use CrazyM.

6. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Both are popular and good firewalls.

LnS is also a good firewall. It may not get the publicity of others, but has many dedicated users and forum here.

Just won't let that question go will you...
    Over the years I have used AtGuard, ConSeal, various versions of NIS, Kerio and LnS. This week it is AtGuard because of a project I am working on :D.

Regards,

CrazyM

7. controler

controler Guest

CrazyM

When you get done messing with @guard , please post your results here. Are you using the last version=3.22?
    I did manage to save that one before the download stopped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.