Best/Favorite Hosts File Provider

Discussion in 'polls' started by JRCATES, Jun 12, 2006.

?

Which Hosts file do you think is the best?

1. hpHosts

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  2. MVPS Hosts

34 vote(s)
    75.6%
  3. Mike's Hosts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Bluetack

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  5. Block Adverts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other (Please specify)

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HJam72

HJam72 Registered Member

ALL OF THEM!!! :D

I take three different hosts files (MVPS, www.someonewhocares.org, and the Spybot additions--yes, I'll be looking at those others listed here) and put them (seperately) on a jump drive. Then I use a separate computer (right next to this one), with Suse on it, to run a script (Unix) I made that makes them all have one space between the "127.0.0.1" and the website name, joins them together, sorts that, and removes all duplicate lines, and then deletes several new and unnecessary files :D . Then, I use the "Kate" editor to remove all the # lines and crud at the beginning and at the end. That leaves me with the finished product, which I copy to the hosts file in Suse. It is all done on the jump drive, so the new hosts file is already on there. Then, I move the jump drive back to this Windows PC and open the hosts file with Oo_O (it's junk when opened directly with notepad). I copy it from there and paste it into the newly blank (deleted) hosts file. Last, I save it and then go back and give it protection from change in 3 or 4 different applications, lol.

Does this seem like overkill? :D

OK, so I did this just because I wanted to play with Unix, but it works and I'm kind of proud of it ('till I get tired of all that work every time I want to update the file).

2. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Another point to throw in the mix: if you don't visit the URLs where malware may reside, it kinda makes the HOSTS file moot. Time and again, I've said the best protection is oneself. When I hear of people putting on layer upon layer of protection measures, I have to question their surfing habits.

3. HJam72

HJam72 Registered Member

I don't surf the internet. I'm too busy adding layers of protection in case I ever get around to surfing it. :)

4. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

:D :D :D

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

That was good....REALLY good!!! One of the funnier things I've seen posted around here in a while ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.