Best distro for a child. Suggestions

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by steve161, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

I looked at edubuntu and I know kde has a suite for kids. Opinions and/or experience? I was considering buying another laptop and giving this cheapo to my 6 going on 7 year old niece (she has been introduced to computers). I'd like to hear the opinions on Wilders before I post on a less neutral forum.

2. katio

katio Guest

I've used Knoppix something like 5 years ago on an offline PC. It got tons of programs and games to discover so no internet didn't matter then.
    Today I might just go with Ubuntu and teach them how to install and maintain it and get new software because it's so damn easy.
    Restricting internet is a topic of it's own, personally I think the best idea is to set it up in the living room or somewhere where you can see what they are doing but not use any sort of nanny filter (unless you want them to figure out how to bypass that anyway :D)

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Teach your kids Linux from an early age with Qimo linux for kids.

Qimo is a desktop operating system designed for kids. Based on the open source Ubuntu Linux desktop, Qimo comes pre-installed with educational games for children aged 3 and up. So If you want to teach your children to use Linux from an early age, Qimo is the perfect for your kids.

-- Tom

4. steve161

Thank you for the suggestions. While I will install some type of blocking filter, I am sure her computer usage will be monitored. And I will be a little disappointed if she does not find a way to bypass the filter in a reasonable amount of time.

5. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

6. steve161

Thanks for the link drhu22. Quimo looks good since I already have 10.04 installed on this laptop. It's either that or edubuntu, since troubleshooting for me will be easier with an ubuntu based distro. Now for the new laptop.

7. lotuseclat79

Hi steve161,

Let us all know when your daughter finds a way to bypass the filter!

-- Tom

8. steve161

Niece, and I will try to keep this thread in mind (and not drop hints to her to speed the process).

9. lotuseclat79

DouDouLinux: A Linux Distribution Especially Designed For Kids.

-- Tom

10. steve161

Thanks for the suggestion. It looks like a very promising distro, but the name may get in the way of selling my idea to her MS only parents.

11. lotuseclat79

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.