Best defrag strategy for a games drive

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Sem, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sem

Sem Registered Member

i have a 320GB drive that I've partitioned exactly in half (148GB each) that i use for game installs only

i am wondering whats the best way to defragment this

I'm thinking something that defrags the files by name like O&O would would be best as the game files should be right next to each other

or will something like perfectdisks SMARTplacment that sorts the files by modified be best?

Thanks o_O

2. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

I have used this Free one since getting XP and it's a beaut.

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Here is the article for you
    http://donnedwards.openaccess.co.za/2007/06/great-defrag-shootout-all.html
    I used O&O long time ago. Was ok. I used auslogics, ok I guess. I liked DiskTrix, felt it made a difference, but too much involvement for me.

I have been using JKDefrag along with JKDefrag GUI for some time now, over a year I think. I like it because it is fast and has a screensaver that defrags. So essentially, you stay defragged all the time. Set it up how you like it. Roll your own as it were.

Sul.

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I've used a few different defraggers and in all honesty i can't see any noticable performance difference between them. Right now i just use the free distrix ultimate defrag which seems to do a nice job.

5. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Ultimate Defrag has a method especially for Games -by keeping selected Game files on the outer fastest edge-well worth testing.

6. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

I agree with HairyCoo that if you're willing to manually adjust the settings, Ultimate Defrag is probably the best choice.

I believe JkDefrag (free), PerfectDisk and O&O Defrag also have good optimization strategies.

7. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

What about the directX files that will get loaded, and in turn what about the operating system files that get loaded. What about the page file and other system files that are in use. What about the fact that the pre fetch files that will be used to load the game up.
    This is why I do not rate file placement strategies that put all files in some kind or order, because how do you know your files will be read/written in order ?

IMHO optimising down to specific file level for performance unless you can do a detailed analysis is not worth the effort.

Most import is to defrag and consolidate your files to reduce head seeking.
    Next pick a placement strategy that reduces future fragmentation (this is the biggest performance killer in relative terms).
    Optionally look at moving out files that you are sure are very rarely used to a separate location on your partition (or separate partition), this will help reduce head seeking.

8. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Yes. I agree with this. DiskTrix does what it says I believe, but as nickr states, there are more variable than that. I used UD to put my fave games on the 'fastest' part of the disc. I would say there was a noticable increase. However, after installing a few items, such as games, it takes awhile to get it setup again if you change things.

I like JKDefrag because not only am I constantly defragged because of the screensaver feature, but I also like his theory on 'Space Hog' files. Seems to make more sense, but who knows.

Sul.

9. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I would reverse the order here. Defraging and consolidating is basic stuff. The second point about moving out files that are rarely used gives the bigger bang per buck. Using "past days data was used" results in a great deal of an OS/Program drive just being archived and never moved. Less data for a program to defrag has to result in greater efficiencies ?

10. Arkham

Arkham Registered Member

JMHO: I think this is micromanaging defragmentation to the point of diminishing returns. Will you gain performance to the tune of all the time you put in moving files to 'platter outer edges' and whatnot? And how many times are you going to shuffle GBs of data around on the disk, for ensuring good performance again and again?

Just let defrag be an automatic background operation, and enjoy using your computer for something productive instead. Worry less about maintenance! :)

11. Long View

Long View Registered Member

12. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

In spite of some opinions that differences are neglectable between app.I think that UD is the exception because of a totally different approach.And yes in my experience it makes a difference.

13. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

JKDefrag is excellent. Just set it as screensaver and forget about defragging...:cool:

14. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

I agree, but I think for gamers UD is better because you can put the games on the outer fastest tracks.

15. Sully

Sully Registered Member

lol, I agree with that, games seemed to start faster, but after awhile I changed my mind and agreed with this

I read up a lot on the art of defragging. I found UD to be more user intensive, JK not so. JK's free, updated very frequently, has the screensaver, has multiple GUI's to choose from, you can even make your own GUI if you so desire.

In the end it all came down to which would be easier to use that would keep me defragged all the time instead of the standard multiple-hour defrag becaue I forget it too often. This way, normally, it works for maybe 10minutes tops. If I install many gb's of data, it may take 30minutes. That's pretty fast for me, and my games load fast, so what do I care.

Just my 2cents worth.

Sul.

16. RAD

RAD Registered Member

This is why I have come to appreciate PerfectDisk 2008's "Stealth Patrol".
    After the initial fun of playing with different defrag settings, I lost interest and just set it on autopilot. Every time I check, the drives are nearly perfect with me not even noticing it had been running.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.