Best defrag program now?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Hungry Man, Jul 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

It may mean nothing more than you have more than about 54,400 files.

2. Jillian

Jillian Registered Member

Thanks , but where did you get the 54,400 files from. I'm a dummy when it comes to these kind of things. That's why I usually don't download them.

3. crofttk

272/0.005 = 54,400. If it only reports to the nearest whole percent, it may have rounded to 0%.

Of course, I'm assuming % fragmented is defined as the number of fragmented files as a percentage of the total number of files, among a number of other assumptions, thus my use of the word "may."

4. PhantomPhenix

PhantomPhenix Registered Member

File fragmentation is based on file size in megabytes. Smaller file size that are fragmented are not counted towards a fragment %, however some armatureware company's piriform will still list them as fragmented files and not defrag them. This is because they are based on a file size limit. Since most all defraggers are based on the same windows api the size limit is also the same (around 60mb) and will not defrag a file under that limit.

Anyway, Windows defrag is all you need.

5. crofttk

1) Sorry, never heard of any company called "armatureware"
    2) I've seen both PerfectDisk and UltimateDefrag defrag files smaller than 60 MB, although that may or may not be important.
    3) So, given your explanation of Defraggler's convention on calculating % defragmentation, I guess the 0% number is still as useless to Jillian as it ever was unless we know the size of those 272 fragmented files.

6. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

I now use seperate partitions for System and Data. Now i don't need zones which makes PerfectDisk the best in this case imo :)

7. Jillian

Jillian Registered Member

Thanks Croft and to everyone for trying to clear this up for me.

8. Technical

Technical Registered Member

9. reddice

reddice Registered Member

I been using PerfectDisk for years now but since version 12 I have removed it. What bothered me about PerfectDisk is the fact that it is one of the slowest defragging program. The SmartPlacement is a real wear and tear on the hard drive. It will move huge files that are not even fragmented just to put them by recent modified, occasional modified and rarely modified when it does not even have to move those files. This would even cause the drive to be more fragmented and in worse shape before it even ran.

Also because of SmartPlacement and Stealth Patrol is so sensitive. Just move the mouse a little bit would even stop it from running then the long wait for it to continue to wait for the computer to be idle for it to run. Last time my computer was idle for a hour and the defrag was only 30% done stopping about five times between then.

I got tired of this and the stress it puts on the hard drive so now I just run either Auslogics Disk Defrag, Defraggler or TuneUp Drive Defrag about once or twice a week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.