Best defrag program now?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Hungry Man, Jul 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It is always difficult to define "the best". IMO they all do a decent job, some have special tools that could produce some improvements. In my experience defragging is very effective with my XP machines (when needed, once a month usually). With Vista, defragging has never had any significant effect on the speed or shutting down/start operations, actually the opposite is true, I believe this is due to Vista having its own boot device which every 3 days is activated.

I like Puran because of its speed, I also have DiskTrix UltimateDefrag 2008 on Vista which is highly customizable, but as mentioned above, I could never perceive any benefits from defragging (also very slow).

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Another thing is that people hate O&O all the time because if you stop and don't pause the defrag it restarts.
    For me it's a plus, it tries to do the work as tidy as possible :D

3. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

-Freeware: Puran and MyDefrag
    -Shareware: Diskeeper and Perfect Disk

4. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

5. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

6. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Well, if you don't mind paying (a significant amount), there is the new active@bootdisk from LSoft.net that allows defrag after booting from a Live CD.

7. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

Like you, since upgrading to PerfectDisk 12, I have since uninstalled PD and switched. However, I switched to Puran (free). I am well satisfied - it's fast and unobtrusive, and has boot-time defrag. I felt PD had put too many "bells and whistles" on PD12, which I do not use or need, particularly with all the "bugs" that came with them. I am pleased with my switch to Puran (free) which btw is just like the paid version, but only for non-commercial use.

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

you can add a defragger portable version to the normal active@disk also. just add the folder while making the disk really easy and you can also add one to a winpe disc also as long as its portable

9. Get

Get Registered Member

Because PD can't lock the drive anymore (don't know why) I am looking for another defragprogram and ended up fttb with Puran, but it doesn't seem to defrag directories and there are many open spaces. Which defragprogram (free or paid) does the same as PD (defrag everything)?

10. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

try running chkdsk with perfectdisk i know that fixes the issue sometimes

11. Get

Get Registered Member

I never run chkdsk, because it causes more trouble than it solves sometimes.

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

13. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

O&O Defrag (zone filing enabled)
    Ultimate Defrag, if it was more stable and had reliable support.
    PerfectDisk for the average user.

14. guest

guest Guest

15. atomic_8575

atomic_8575 Registered Member

Hey. I have a Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drive. Do you know if Diskeeper HyperFast is recommended for this type of drive?

16. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

Yes, but it also mix together all your personal data (files, videos, pictures etc.) with windows and programs, on top of that unnecessarily shuffling around those (often huge) rarely used files further based on modification, but if you don't have lots of big files and various archives stored then PerfectDisk is possibly the best :)

17. atomic_8575

atomic_8575 Registered Member

Hi. I have a Seagate Momemtus XT hybrid drive. Do you think that I can use Diskeeper HyperFast with it?

18. J_L

J_L Registered Member

That's another reason why those data should be in a separate partition.

19. Jillian

Jillian Registered Member

I installed Defraggler as it was highly recommended , but it always told me that my C-Drive was 36% fragmented . After defragging it , it told me it was 35% fragmented. Wthout fail , it lways told me this.

I installed Auslogics defragger and it told me my Drive was 36% fragmentation and after the defrag it was 0% fragmented. So I am going with Auslogics.

About Puran , I read where this software would take out the System Restore Points , so I surely don't want that. As of now , I am staying with Auslogics.

Iobit Smart Defrag software puts all kind of third part unwanted things , so I would never install software by this company again. I tried it and like to have never got all that stuff off my computer.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  20. PhantomPhenix

PhantomPhenix Registered Member

How can you tell which is the best when they are all based on the same windows API?

21. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

22. Jillian

23. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Read it again, the new setting allows defraggler to ignore restore points therefore you will not get a report of a high fragmentation at the end.

24. Jillian

Thanks I will try it.

25. Jillian

I reinstalled Defraggler and set it to not delete the restore points. I then had it to analyze my C drive and it told me that it had 0 fragmentation .

I really don't understand this . It tells me that I have 0% fragmentation , but it also says I have 272 fragmented files and 1457 total fragments.

272 Fragmented files
    1457 Total fragments
    0% Fragmentation

What does this mean ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.