Best browser for privacy?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by ripplebunny, Aug 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Actually no, although they are related. Protection doesn't necessarily include seclusion. They're 2 different things, like wearing armour vs invisibility cloak.
    I'm running Panda Cloud, which gives me better security, but less privacy.

2. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I switched to Ixquick from Scroogle ~ 6 months - 1 year ago due to Google breaking Scroogle so much. Whenever I thought I wasn't getting good search results, I would try my same search on Google and guess what? The results from Google were no better. I pretty much use Ixquick exclusively now. Give it a try, I think you'll like it.

3. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Thank you so much for that. I will definitely give it a try.

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Were you using Scroogle or Scroogle SSL? I have used Scroogle SSL only, never Scroogle.

-- Tom

5. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

When I use your Scroogle SSL link I get an error, I use this one for SSL : https://ssl.scroogle.org/

6. Dude111

Dude111 Registered Member

Yes well keeping private FROM EVERYONE ELSE is the key!! (Google,yahoo,etc)

7. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

It's been so long since I tried Scroogle, I can't remember why, but it was giving me some kind of issue that prevented me from using it properly.

Ixquick is the best search engine I've ever used, and there isn't even really a close 2'nd. Even without the privacy, it's responsive and returns very relevant results, I'd say only a slight step behind Google in that regard.

Not sure if you know but there's a proxy built into it as well. Underneath the search results there's a link that says "Proxy". To my experience it's as quick as TOR was for me, in other words... certainly quite noticeable. But if you don't have to fill in any forms or run any scripts on a page, and want to browse without "the man" looking over your shoulder, it's a very convenient, simple proxy with zero technical knowledge/skills required. I always recommend this search engine to paranoid, err... I mean "security conscious" friends & family that couldn't otherwise grasp TOR.

Give it a look see. Betcha you won't go back.

8. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi luciddream,

Is the Ixquick proxy the same as Ixquick SSL? Note: I have both Ixquick and Ixquick SSL installed in my browser's Search engine window via the Mycroft project where you can do a search for any search engine to see if it can be added to your browser's search engine list.

-- Tom

9. luciddream

The way I understand it the SSL only applies to the searches. That and the fact that they don't log/record IP's makes your searches private. Use the proxy in addition to it to also carry that protection over to the 3'rd party sites you visit.

I have ixquick.com whitelisted in both NoScript & Cookiesafe and have SSL turned on by default when I open Firefox. Those 2 add-on's, plus BetterPrivacy & HTTPS-Everywhere are good compliments to this approach.

I was using Ixquick Proxy in addition to iVPN multi-hop and it was running remarkably fast. I think because the hop is UK to Netherlands, and the Ixquick proxy server location is Netherlands as well. Not that there's really a point to doing it, but I thought it was neat anyway.

10. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I tried the IXquick proxy and you cannot login to anything. Too bad. But it is really cool that you can connect to the links provided by the search through a proxy. It is important to know for people who are not running a VPN, however, that the proxy does not mask the link that you are looking at from your ISP.

duckduckgo looks pretty cool. https://duckduckgo.com/

11. luciddream

Isn't it unsafe to fill in forms when using any proxy? I could be wrong, but I thought Ixquick is preventing it on purpose.

12. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

Yes. However, proxies in general disable javascript since it can reveal a users IP address. As a result, forms don't always work either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.