Best Browser for Legacy PC

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by pvsurfer, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Which do you guys believe is the most 'resource-efficient' internet browser for a 'legacy' PC. It doesn't take much to bog-down my wife's PC - an early P3 with 256mb RAM (memory slots are full and I don't want to replace any hardware).

So in that regard would Opera, Firefox (or whatever) be a better choice than IE (which is now on her PC)?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

either firefox or opera would be a better choice that IE in my opinion. as to how much less resources will be used I couldn't say exactly but it won't hurt to try them both, they will coexist just fine. They even get along with IE alright. :thumb:

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

my first pick would be opera, but if u like firefox, keep very few extensions.

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

5. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

I run Opera/FF on an OLD celeron with 256 RAM with no problems. FF uses about 30 mb of RAM, and Opera runs at about the same [maybe a little less].

6. pvsurfer

Thanks for the feedback. K-Meleon would seem to be the best fit for my wife's PC. If it doesn't work out (hopefully it's as user-friendly as IE), I'll next try Opera.

7. pvsurfer

Ok, I've installed K-Meleon on my wife's PC and it seems to be working much more responsively than IE6. :thumb:

However, there are a few operational qwerks that I don't understand:

1. It doesn't seem to recognize the site logon cookies used with IE.

2. Right-clicking does not offer a 'Paste' function, so I need to teach my wife how to use Ctrl C & Ctrl V.

3. The font-sizes on the Home page (with no change in screen resolution) is smaller than with IE6!

There may also be additional operational peculiarities, that I have not yet encountered.

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Why keep very few extensions? Do they contribute to heavy memory consumption or are extensions problamatic in other ways?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.