Best AV for LinuX?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Howard Kaikow, Mar 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zip

zip Registered Member

Since avast! is the best av for Windows I would think avast! for Linux would be the best for Linux.;) Right now avast! for Linux doesn't have realtime scanning. Avast! will soon have realtime scanning for Linux.:D

I currently don't have Linux on my hard drive, but if I did it would have avast! installed. I'm trying to decide between MEPIS or Ubuntu. I want a free distro with Opera and plays regional DVD's already part of the install.

2. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Pick kubuntu it has giant repositories or for ease of use pick PCLinuxOS.

New version of kubuntu came out just yesterday and looks great.
    You can check this site for top ranked distros. (on the right hand side of site in the middle).

3. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

Very well said. I agree.

I see alot of comparitives to Windows on the thread.
    Windows is NOT the same as Linux.
    There is NO WAY to get a virus to infect your system in Linux.

If by some freak of nature you do, it will not go past your home folder.
    Because the rest of your system is locked because you are not ROOT
    You cannot install anything in Linux without first becoming root.
    Windows is a totally open system thats why there is so much malware infecting a windows system.
    If your paranoid enough and must have an AV most distros have Clam AV that you have the option to install.

4. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

That's a big problem, some people seem to think Linux is Windows with a different GUI. I know somebody that sets up PCs for relatives who have no IT experience, they just want to write letters, surf and email. He installs one of the user-friendly distros like Xandros and sets up their email accounts and Kopete or GAIM and shows them how to use it. They don't care what's under the hood as long as it works. Needless to say, he doesn't get any phone calls complaining about the skull and crossbones on the desktop with a popup saying "ur pwned". ;)

5. SmiLey497

SmiLey497 Registered Member

if you really need one, ClamAV with GTK front end, if your using ubuntu it is in synaptic

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Avast works out quite well with Linux, works nice on my Ubuntu in case I wish to scan attachments on my mails sent from Windows PC.

7. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Eh...the skull and crossbones, isn´t that suppose to be there? I mean, isn´t that a part of Windows?...o_O

:D /Cerxes.

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  8. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Does the free Avast for Linux have realtime scanning yet?

I seem to be going in circles at their web site trying to find te documentation for version 4.

9. tamdam

tamdam Registered Member

nope, not according to their website. Anyway if you want on-access, and don't want open source, and don't want to pay a cent, all I can see is

AVG Free
    Avira Antivir Classic

but either way, to enable on-access for AVs on linux, you'll need to build and compile dazuko (or at least get a copy of a pre-compiled binary).

Personally, I wouldn't recommend AV on linux, such a waste of resources, I mean 50 linux viruses compared to, what, 300k+ on windows? Not worth it. But if you really insist, I'd say use avira antivir classic.

you may find these links useful:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5#avg-anti-virus-free
    http://www.free-av.com/
    http://www.dazuko.de/
    http://free.grisoft.com/filedir/doc/LINUX_GROUP/AVG_Free_for_Linux/avg_afl_uma_en_75_1.pdf

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Try here.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=177564

My reasons for having an AV in LINUX.

I deal with friends, loved ones & strangers who 99.99% use M$ Windows of some flavor. Some are incapable & or unwilling to protect their computers.

When I bring something that I downloaded to their computer. I have to be sure it's virus free. I can't depend on their inferior, out of date or nonexistent AVs.

Also it's silly for me to have state this. My computer is my computer. I want control. Not blind faith in others from all over the world.

11. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    In that regard, how can you be sure your kernel (any OS) is not pre-compiled with some super-duper rootkit or that AV itself is not missing this or that etc ... Kind of a chicken and egg problem ... I don't say it happens. Theoretically, it's possible.
    Mrk

12. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Most AV's that run on Linux are there to scan for Windows malware on mail, not to protect the linux machine itself.

Like someone said above, its pretty hard to infect a Linux box when running as a limited user and obtaining all software from official repositories.

13. tlu

tlu Guest

Agreed - but on the other hand, I know that quite a lot if Linux users add unofficial repositories that contain, e.g., special codecs or other, sometimes legally questionable, stuff. Do you know the maintainers of these unofficial repositories? Are you sure that they look into the sourcecode of the software they include (or they have the knowledge to do this)? I'm not. And I'm afraid that these unofficial repositiories might increasingly become a target for hackers. Of course, you will answer: "Stick with the official repositories, and you won't have this problem!" Right - but many users (regardless if Windows or Linuix users) are not disciplined enough, that's reality.

Yes, but that wouldn't prevent that this software could include some type of spyware or even a rootkit. And for its installation you usually need root privileges.

That said, I agree with you that risk for Linux is very small. Nevertheless I scan my emails with AntiVir. I want to recognize the mails that contain, e.g., virii even if they target only Windows systems (and of course cross-platform attacks - a proof-of-concept targeted against OpenOffice was published some time ago). And I want to warn my friends who send me mails with "funny" file attaches that their PC is possibly infected.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2007
  14. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Thats true and makes zapjb point valid. He wants to make sure files he passes around to friends are safe.

IMO more Linux users should share zapjb's concern. Even if your Linux box is safe the infected PC's have an effect on everyone.....they clog the net, suck bandwidth, and attack business that even Linux users deal with. Do Linux users think their credit cards numbers are safe when used online ? because they use Linux :D Doesn't matter what OS or how secure your system, you're only as safe as the security implemented by the instututions you've dealt with.

Some out there (not here) actually think this is a deserving plague for "dumb" windows users, sad. This bug war isn't about MS vs Linux, it impacts everyone whether you believe it or not. Linux doesn't entitle turning a blind eye.

Back to subject:

If you email with attachments, P2P, share files with friends, Avast and F-Prot work nice on Linux. Do your part (no matter how small) in cleaning up this mess ;)

Happy Linux :cool:

15. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

"clamAV", another good choice for Linux too!

clamAV is 'software-Libre'. Initially developed for Linux as a preemptive solution to email infections downloaded via mail-clients incorporated in Penguin.

Penguin powered rigs does not need an AV, period!

The only reason why some like me use Linux AV is to guard emails extracted from servers via my Evolution because majority of corporate mail-servers are win-based. And it's shamefull to sent an infected file via forward/reply to your clients/honchos/associates and infecting them as well. That's the logic why clamAV was developed.

clamAV datfiles' updating can be made automatic via it's scheduled function. In this updating category, clam is known to release updates at a fast clip of hourly-basis... on average it release 2minors/1major a day!

clamAV is pretty lite, non-RAM hoggers, was available for deployment also on winOS (all except 95s' )/BSD/Unix/java. The only holdback is on win-Platform deployment as clamAV is none realtime-scanning abilities, it only runs as on-demand (same as BDefender-FREE). You can set scheduled-scan, but it's non-reactive/proactive.
    clamAV (url) here~ http://www.clamwin.com/

BUT NOW... clamAV can be made "proactive/reactive" via a FREE plugin - winPooch.

When plugin-constituted.... clamAV became a powerfull anti av/spyware/malware. C?
    winPooch (url) here ~ http://winpooch.free.fr/page/home.php?lang=en&page=home

Try it, winOS users! U will be surpised as to its power in comparison to top-tiered AVs always presented here. Besides, it FREE and infinite (unless announced otherwise), re-distributable too. C?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  16. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Way to dig up an old post, but since you did.... I find it amusing since on one of the lists I subscribe to a gentleman is trying to sort out his poor rooted box. Granted it is not a virus and or spyware problem but a system hardening issue that needs to be looked into in the regards to a linux box. IPtables, Denyhosts, SElinux, etc. It's all there it just needs to be implemented correctly.

17. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Nice to see a lot of Linux users frequent Wilders. Hello. As has been stated, you only need an antivirus if you wish to scan your incoming emails or your Home folder. The rest of the system is pretty well locked down (yes, the beauty of Linux). I personally never ran an antivirus in linux.

Also, KDE sucks (PCLinuxOS). Long live Gnome. HA! I just had to say that. :D .

Later.

18. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

Howdy everyone...
    I had my own ethos, since i was influenced by openSource folks for quite sometime, and more or less from the very friendly legacy peoples too... as long as we had the resources to help folks in ICT-related issues, more so with seniors (grandpop/mom), then goodness gracious... we should! ;)

Guess am influenced deeply by my buddhist background too. :blink:

19. Arup

Arup Guest

PCLOS is for fans of stability and excellent well tested programs on their rep and even though its basically a one man effort, its just incredible to see the numbers of users exceeding the MS of Linux, Ubuntu on Distrowatch. Gotta be some reason for that. KDE is an excellent interface for Window's refugees, makes em feel right at home unlike the good but unfriendly Gnome.

No Linux is bad or better than other, its the choice, thats what its all about.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2007
  20. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Since my last post in this thread 06/22/2007 my thoughts & pratices have changed.

I use Linux, "the Distro Hopper Stopper" PCLinuxOS, more than 98% of the time. And more than 3/4 of the 2% I use XP is updating the OS & security software.

I no longer have Avast or any other AV installed in PCLOS. I just provide links to my M$ using friends.

And I don't find myself fixing many PCs these days. It's a thankless job. Friends don't appreciate the effort. Takes 4-8hrs on average to tame the mess they spent 6 months to 3 years creating. And the paying customers are resentful. I charge $25/hr, 2hr minimum. So to fix their $400 computer it'll cost them $100-$200. It's just plain aggravating working on these low-end computers. They're stock full of crap startup programs & running 512MB RAM. Then as I'm winding down fixing them. I start explaining updating & scanning. And as they're ALL not listening. I hear every FN one of them say, "Now I can just use my computer like before." NO NUMB-NUTS, YOU CAN'T!!!

21. Arup

Arup Guest

Good show Zapjb, I too am sticking to PCLOS, no other distro or OS has been able to tempt me away from it, I use XP on a strict need to use basis.

22. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

:D :D :D

I just can't say it even better. :)

My distro is SAM 2007.1. The only multilingual distro I've found that was based on PCLOS.

So far I have Avast Linux Home Edition in my SAM and Ewido micro in my USB Flash stick. After 6 months nothing infected were found. o_O
    Do I have worthless security software? :'( :D :D :D

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

PS. There are only from mediocre to excellent painkillers to cure μ$'s OS, but the disease remains. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  23. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Yes, you and I probably do. But old habits die hard. However, I do not know if it is a good thing to think your linux box is invulnerable, and you can start clicking on any link that comes your way. I believe it was this line of thinking that did in most Shakespearian characters. A nice feature of PCLOS is the ability to scan folders from the context menu, which comes in handy when sharing files with windowsians.

24. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

I agree. Actually, if μ$'s Operating Systems were cars, the public authorities will definitely prevent these kind of "quality products" production and selling. :D

The more we can see news like this, the more the public authorities act like this, albeit these quys are actually today's Ralph Naders, the Quality Controllers of the Operating Systems. :D

More or less it seems to be so that the public authorities are actually employees to Mr. μ$ as well. :rolleyes:

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  25. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Again you can have a virus scanner run from a cron, just to quell your fears(personally I don't**) but the more important aspect is to have your linux box hardened it is not really viruses that are the problem in the linux community but more of a server type role in the big picture, ie. ftp(virus dl's)/irc(botnet ctrl)/www(phishing/virus dl's)

Most distros sans Ubuntu(debian?) auto install openssh or similar and leave port 22 open for remote logins, this is a wonderful tool but needs to be watched carefully I use denyhohsts set to 2 invalid attempts then ban. Also if you have things like mysql/php etc. fwd'd to the world you also need to lock these down too.

Also unless your box is super secure I suggest still using a hw router.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.