Best av besides mcafee/kaspersky?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Simon Phoenix, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole.

2. krak

krak Registered Member

hi to all.... I just want to say that F-Secure is one of 2 best AV-s in the world... So i recomend to try F-Secure (with engine 5.xx)....

3. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

I feel that F-Secure takes as much RAM as Kaspersky.

I'm not sure about its detection rate, but I think it comes close to KAV's.

McAfee is an all-round good AV, but it utilizes ActiveX in its GUI, and that proposes a problem (I disabled ActiveX in my IE settings)

Norton, system hog, can't remove anything it detects.

avast!, improving everyday, be sure to keep an eye on this one.

NOD32, a popular choice, but I've switched from NOD32 to KAV 4.5. (Found some disturbing test scans by a member on DSLReports).

Dr. Web, seemingly great, but I couldn't get it to run properly on my computer. Whenever I right-click on the Spider icon (In the System Tray), it would take almost one whole minute to display the menu. But I'll be sure to try this AV again when it comes time to format.

Symantec AV, I feel it's a bit better than McAfee. (Note that this is Symantec AV, not Norton AV.)

I would pick Dr. Web as an alternative to McAfee/Kaspersky.

If I would have to pick between McAfee or Kaspersky, I'd pick Kaspersky 4.5.

4. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

NOD32 is the best imho.

Regards,

Jag

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Besides Kaspersky/McAfee - I'd say BitDefender or NOD32.

BD has excellent signatures and an upcoming promising heuristics engine, and NOD already has an excellent heuristic engine, though not as much as BD in the signatures department.

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Blackspear is, of course, one of the singularly good things about NOD32. However, I do wish he would publish THREE sets of configurations...
    Hyper-paranoid
    Mildly Paranoid
    I feel lucky

Am I wrong, or are his present settings skewed a tad toward the hyper-paranoid side?

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I like to set my Anti-Virus "Hardcore Paranoid Schizophrenia" :D

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

bellgamin,

You will be very protected with those settings, they are basically maxed out. I think the general consensus is that the default settings were clearly too much on the "I feel lucky" side. The default settings on the version 2.5 beta are better balanced IMHO, much closer to Blackspears.

My approach is max settings possible without a performance hit or too many false positives.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.