Best Antivirus Software

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by chx, Oct 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It can be.

2. tayres

tayres Guest

My gut reaction is that this would be more 'the exception, not the rule.' I don't have any evidence one way or the other, but if it's your experience that this is more the norm, then I should probably consider it.

3. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I agree with Bigc's comments. Over at AV comparatives (see post 3) they have results for twelve AV's. Note only 12 per cent difference (total score), separates the highest scoring AV, from the lowest scoring AV. If you played with these totals statistically the 12% (highest to lowest) would shrink significantly. Or practicing unsafe surfing, using the #1 (total score) AV, can still get you infected. AV comparatives testing is, on the cream of the crop, in AVs. I think of the twelve tested, the best AV, is not found in its statistical score, but like bigc says, which plays best. I think you cannot go wrong choosing from a universe of AVs (AV comparatives) which have undergone through testing.

rico

4. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Getting loosely off topic for a second, Where I work we see a large number of a variety of products; from vehicles, computers, firearms, flashlights, boots, telephones, calculators, copiers, etc..., as bigc alluded to there are no two of anything that will function exactly as another of it's own make, while there will certainly be similarities, you would also be simply amazed at the differences between two of the same products that even have sequential serial numbers which should mean they went down the assembly line within minutes of each other and yet the performance difference would suggest a completely different manufacturer with non-existent quality control, so I would have to agree with bigc it is more the rule than the exception.

Especially when dealing with computers, the amount of parts with different manufacturers is rather high, add to it rough handling during shipment of a hard drive for example, when added to quality control samples that one memory chip may ace while it's brother (the next of the line is at the minimum acceptable) and yet both are shipped since they "met our standard" and you can end up with a wide performance spectrum.

Back on topic, as i suggested in my earlier post, test a few, personally I echo what has already been stated, NOD or KAV, but try a few, use what works best for YOU and that's it, there is no BEST anything, every thing is almost always a compromise.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.