Best antivirus for online multiplayer gaming

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SourMilk, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

From a technical standpoint, my understanding of malware does not let me see how that might be possible unless the game server, for some reason, sends executable code to you, perhaps by exploiting a security flaw to do so. Even then, that is a long stretch at best.

Paranoia is never a good thing. People are after security "solutions" that will protect them from everything including the kitchen sink, even if those protections may be unnecessary and counter-productive. As earlier replies stated, any normal on-access scanner will do the job just fine.

2. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

Ok here we go:

1. It depends on the Game Data Files

1a. Some games storing their resource files (Graphics, Sounds etc) in zip compressed archives. Having Archive Scanning enabled for On-Access is "deadly" for such types of games.

1b. Having "scan all files types" enabled is "deadly" for any type of games except one single executable games without resources. Reason: It will try to scan any file. Even files which cannot contain viruses.

1c. It depends also on the loading technology used in the game. If the game loads all resources at once and uses them from memory only the first startup of the game might take longer, but the gameplay wouldn't be affected at all.

2. It depends on the scanner's technology

2a. Best scanner for use with gaming is a scanner with a proper filetype engine. That means a scanner who can determine the file type correctly and knows what is what. So called "overall" scanners which are scanning *every* file except a few types with *all* viruspatterns (Claim AV) slowing gaming dramatically down if used On-Access.

2b. Memory usage is another aspect. Most games are very resource hungry and you will notice some slowdown with memory/resource hungry scanners if not configured in a proper way.

2c. If you know that the game doesn't update itself you can put certain files into the ignore list.

2c1. You should start with so called raw data files, because such files cannot be infected with a virus for example. (Example: Gamedata.RES)

2c2 I would not advise to exclude game executables (all what has a MZ Header) because that would mean you can get infected via fileinfector and you would never notice the origin of it if disabled from scanning.

2c3 I would not advise to exclude a whole game folder, since you could place malware in it and you wouldn't notice it because the whole folder is excluded.

2c4 Do it exactly the opposite way as you configure a firewall: Allow all to scan and then start excluding things which are safe.

3. Don't use any untrusted "new" plugins for such online games.

3a. There are especially a lot of trojans for so called WoW plugins. Especially after the new version The Burning Crusade now. Reason is being that almost all older plugins didn't work anymore so many people were googleing for new plugins :rolleyes:

3. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

Thank very much Inspector. This was the answer I was needing. Mahalo nui loa
    SourMilk out

4. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

@Inspector Clouseau

Thanks a bunch, case closed :D

5. divedog

divedog Registered Member

I have yet to meet a computer gamer that is not interested in performance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.