Best Antivirus Experts - who they are?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by 633434, Nov 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 633434

633434 Guest

Who are the best antivirus experts in the world?

Also what was the best writen malware till now?

2. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

This depends pretty much. Basically everyone has it's special area.

Vesselin Bontchev for instance is almost unbeatable in office macro viruses :D

Some other ppl (For instance Peter Ferrie, me too) prefering highly complex (methamorphic, polymorphic with EPO) and/or highly encrypted malware.

As i said already it pretty much depends. There is no "universal" guy. Everyone has it's own strentghts and key skills.

And there is no best written Malware. Maybe you can speak about "advanced" malware. Zmist, Driller, SK would count into this. Maybe also the ETAP.

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Eugene Kaspersky, Vesselin Bontchev, Peter Ferrie, Happy Bytes (Mike) and Alan Solomon. These are for me the most experienced in this area. No offense to anyone if i forgot someone specific :p :cool:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2005
  4. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

We should add Peter Szor as well ;)

5. DjMaligno

DjMaligno Hispasec/VirusTotal

I would put my votes to Eugene Kaspersky and Michael Neitzel (Happy Bytes).

6. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Mike (HappyBytes), Bontchev, Eugene, Muttik, Szor, Ferrie, Snorre and more (i do not list more otherwise i could feel i forget someone...).

7. Farbod

Farbod Registered Member

One of the famous virus researchers absolutely is "Happy Bytes".

A virus researcher except being skilful in virus programming, must be able acting in a lot of things which makes him a TRUE analyst... from psychology till networking... And I believe "Happy Bytes" is No.1 in the world...

All AV companies are looking for "Happy Bytes"; he is one who can make the best & cleanest vir-db for AV companies, all over the world.

Eugene Kaspersky, Peter Szor and Peter Ferrie are also technical & skilful experts.

8. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

I’d like to add Igor Daniloff to this bunch.

tD

9. i would say Mike (Happy Bytes) :) - i like his usefull tips and tools ,)

cu
    Michael

10. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

...yeah, when he`s not joking around and wants to give a serious answer. :)

11. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Yes but thats another good point for Happy Bytes, he has humor and hangs out with regulars here, he's not stuck up on his fame :)

I like his pitbull way of educating people, say something stupid and he bites your head off with the correct answer :D

12. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

:D :D :D

But seriously, i do not have the time to start my explainings with the year when the electricity was invented. So usually my replies are short and maybe do look like "pitbull" :D

13. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

I would add Mikko H. Hyppönen as my candidate as well! :)

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

14. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

I thought Daddy Mac only played wastebasketball and drank beer...:D

15. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:oops: Wow, I am blown away. I knew we had some smart people here at Wilders, but man this is something else.

I don't know if this is the proper thread, but Mike, could you please tell us in layman's terms what the average home computer user should look for and install in the way of security protection? Also could you please tell us, again in layman's terms, what we should be looking for in the way of test results? I think the answer to these two questions would spread a wealth of information to the less educated of us in regards to these subjects.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :) ;) :eek: :D

16. waters

waters Registered Member

Do names mean anything to 99% of people.Where are they from.

17. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

You're well served with McAfee, NOD32 and Kaspersky. Every product has its own advantage and "disadvantage". If you're looking for a free Solution go either with AVAST or Antivir. I cannot say that i don't recommend AVG, but i'm somehow "reserved" regarding detection rate there. There are existing a few other "free" solutions, but most time without any proper realtime protection. Bitdefender is for instance an option for a On-Demand so called "backup scanner".

Considering the right AV solution is not an easy task. It depends "how serious" you look into it. McAfee for instance, has one of the most flexiblest script driven ScanEngines. Kaspersky scores with strong unpacking (from a static unpacking view) and with lots of updates. NOD32 has a very good (if not the best) variant detection + Heuristic. All 3 products providing a very good protection. I must admit that i name these 3 products because i'm personally sure they have most "actual" AV Technologies integrated. Doesn't mean that other products which i didn't list here are not good - that's only IMHO.

Another "promising" "newcomer" (actually they are a long time in the av business) is VBA32. Time will tell. But what i've seen so far is a very good "basic" to build up a good product. PS: Greetings to Dr. XMAS, Dimka & Serge :D

And because there's always "NAV bashing" just to add a few positive comments to it: It has a VERY GOOD detection of Viruses (i speak here especially about fileinfector viruses) that's the Result of the 2 Peters there (Ferrie, Szor). It also protects well from most of the circulating malware.

Well... basically you could write a book about virus scanner reviews....

Speaking about Antivirus Tests...

There are only a very limited number of people who can do trustworthy tests.
    Personally i do not look first for the place where "my" product is listed. Even if it's on place #1 and i know the test is flawed i will complain about it. Because that's then in the most cases unfair for the other tested products.

There's one rule you should stick to: Never trust any AV test if the tester itself sales or advertises Antivirus Products. Biased.

Take personal "hobby av tests" as what they are. As private OPINIONS. Nothing more nothing less. In the most cases the tester cannot verify his own files, because he's unable to reverse engineer the malware back to the roots where he can state that it's a so called "living sample". That other scanners do detect a certain sample MEANS NOTHING. I've seen enough false positives (flagged by 12 (!) Antivirus Scanners) - completely clean files. Or some scanner do detect damaged samples - such samples cannot be detected by scanners which are using so called "Entrypoint Scan Pages" if there is no valid entrypoint. There's also absolutely NO NEED to add such samples into detection, because they will anyway not run if there is a invalid Entrypoint. Only exception is here mass-spammed corrupted executables. Such things you can add into detection as "Damaged" or ".dam" etc.

There are only a few av tests which i "believe" in.
    AV-Comparatives (Andreas Clementi) is one of them. I do not believe in this test because i think it's perfect - i believe in it because Andreas always asks for opinions from experts and is concerned that he's doing right. Only with such behavior you can improve your own testing abilities. He stays with us "AV Nerds" almost in daily contact. It's not a secret that i have lots of other AV people on my messenger list, so know exactly what's going on :D
    Big thanks goes here also to Siggi from Frisk - for helping Andreas answering questions when i was too busy ;) Basically there's ALMOST NO COMPETITION between the employees from different AV companies. Some users who fight 'till blood comes for their AV solution against another one would be highly suprised if they would know that developers/viruslab of both products might be just sitting in a pub with a nice guiness beer ;)

If you have questions feel free to ask :)

18. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

@Happy Bytes
    You mention McAfee, NOD32 and Kaspersky. How's your opinion against BitDefender, I was surprised you didn't mention it, since it's (as far my knowlegde goes) a top-tier product on both signature and pro-active detection.

19. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Good information, Mike! :)

It's always great to hear an expert, talking and expressing its opinions...

Thanks

20. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:D I fully concur. "Read, endorsed and approved by "Wildman".

Thanks
    Wildman
    :) :eek: :D

21. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Yes I'm also interested in this ?

My non-expert assumption, BD is the AV nipping at NOD32's heals o_O

Anyway nice info you've provided, thanks :)

22. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

Its nice to always hear someone provide an unbiased view on competitor's products especially NAV.

23. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Happy Bytes did mention Bit Defender but in the context of a free backup scanner. I too believe Bit Defender to be among the very top AV and am curious why Mike didn't list it with McAfee, KAV and NOD32. I've been using BD Free as my ONLY AV on my host machine (I test KIS 2006 on a virtual machine) for over a year and am very happy with it.

24. Reve_Etrange

Reve_Etrange Registered Member

Refreshing thread.

-RE

25. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

greetz to belarus from me too :D

another thing 'bout NAV: i find it encouraging that instead of getting more eye candy and useless features added to the product symantec has been working to make the core of their product( the scan engine ) better, which has resulted in much better detection level( opinion based on my findings, although av-comparatives tests show it in a way too )
    IBK has not yet tested the lates nav engine yet, IMO the bashers will have a surprise waiting

thats his opinion about top scanners, if you read his post you'll see an explanation for his choices:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.